How to have more Compassion

DepravedFurball

I'd prefer not to empathize with the trolls that I encounter daily, both on the net and in real life.

But for the more-normal parts of society, it's a great thing to have. Compassion for your fellow human beings, regardless of gender, orientation, or views. If everyone in the world had more empathy and sympathy, then this planet would be a veritable Utopia...

Shame that the nihilist/realist part of me thinks that we'd need to cull 3/4 of the population before we even stood a chance, though.:bat:

MollyBeGood

I am compassionate to a fault usually trying to see the best in everyone and really the world has dumped poo on me so idk why i bother sometimes. I am getting to the end of my proverbial rope. I prefer the company of animals. They don't judge. People are so judgemental it is not my species I relate to at all. I 'll take my dog any day over any human.

ImNotMyIllness

I am compassionate to a fault usually trying to see the best in everyone and really the world has dumped poo on me so idk why i bother sometimes. I am getting to the end of my proverbial rope. I prefer the company of animals. They don't judge. People are so judgemental it is not my species I relate to at all. I 'll take my dog any day over any human.

I know how you feel. Animals don't judge that's the great thing about them.

greggy

In general people who suffer with sp dont need to be more compassionate in my case I treat people too nice and what do they do, make me suffer, the irony is too much! I used to smile at everyone and most just stear scaredly, haha to avoid the irony I try to not even make eye comtact with anyone, ive even been in a shop standing next too a friend of mine and did'nt even see him, he said hey! Then I saw him and said hey! Haha its not normal but its a way to exist around people, maybe im talking complete rubbish, my issues are ofcause different to others, I know im too nice, maybe someone else needs to work on this, I know this condition gives us so much anger.

Kiwong

I really try to understand why people react to me the way they do. I even said once, this my problem, no one need understand, it is my mental illness not theirs. Some people simply wouldn't believe me, even though I said it was anxiety. I try to understand where their anger is coming from.

I have compassion for children, to those subjected to violence, to those suffering from mental illness. I say that if the environment is a cost to the economy then I am willing to contribute to the cost. I am quite a philanthropist.

I do good things, but I have also done things that I am not proud of.

The most insulting insinuation I have ever received was the suggestion than my charities I raised money as part of my running in a race was not genuine, that is self-serving or attention seeking. I raised money for breast cancer research and depression. I'm not sure I'd do it again, because as much some people were generous, others were dismissive and unkind.

Still I get screamed at, called names, ridiculed. It hurts more than you can imagine, it's soul destroying. It's not so much a lack of compassion, it's that a desire to prevent further damage that make me defensive and angry.

Last edited:

jaim38

I think I need to re-evaluate my priorities. I want to improve my communication skills, social skills, technical skills, etc and have been thinking about taking classes or doing some sort of training. But all the while, I've been ignoring the Core Values. I believe compassion is required for successful communication, social interaction, and everything that we do!

I do have compassionate feelings but don't know how to express them. Sometimes I'm afraid of sounding weak or too "mushy". Throughout my life, I've only seen a few instances of compassion so don't have much experiences to draw from. I believe compassion is like a muscle that must be exercised frequently, or it will deteriorate.

MollyBeGood

I think most all people here on SPW need to have compassion for themselves. That is where so much of our pain is. We beat ourselves up because we are not like "normal" people when the "normal" people are the ones who take some pleasure in tearing us down... We then internalize this and hate ourselves even worse.

ImNotMyIllness

It sounds like most of you go out of your way to be nice. But, compassion is something that I think I need to focus on more. Sometimes, I can be very irritable and I have tendencies to make assumptions about people that I don't really know. So, I speak for myself.