How many real friends do you have?

BrokenBird02

My mother always tells me it's better to have 1 best friend you can trust than having 20 friends who don't like you and can't trust...

Hmm that's the problem with me. The moment I found out people who I thought were my friends were not, I realised I only have one person in the world besides my mother and brother that I can trust. I don't see this person much at all so it's quite lonely.

crankitup

I had friends who always said how much they would stick up for you when things got tough, well a few years ago I had a lot of bad luck in my life and these so called friends left me hanging. I have not heard from them since. So that makes 0 for me baring my girlfriend. I think 95% of friends are not true friends.

MikeyC

Ironically, through social networking, the dude makes status updates about being "lonliness" and how people don't appreciate him enough(despite having his own social circle). Go figure.
Having lots of friends does not equal having friends you can count on or who you can confide in. It doesn't work that way.

I had friends who always said how much they would stick up for you when things got tough, well a few years ago I had a lot of bad luck in my life and these so called friends left me hanging. I have not heard from them since. So that makes 0 for me baring my girlfriend. I think 95% of friends are not true friends.
Sorry to hear this happened to you. It's unfortunate they didn't stick around when you needed them the most, but now you know their true colours.

I have a feeling my best friend would do the same to me, but I sincerely hope not.

she1slander

Not like acquaintances that you talk to at work or school but people you actually have the phone numbers of, etc.

I realized today after this other girl dipped out on me my only real friend is my boyfriend, and that made me feel pretty lonely. I mean, I talk to other people at my job and stuff, but I don't have any of their phone numbers or anything.

And also today I really started missing my mom's deceased boyfriend who was a really close friend of mine for a short but very memorable time. It's weird, I didn't even know him long, but now, a year and a half after he passed, I still cry when I think about him and how much I wish I could call him and talk to him. He was like the father I never had :( The worst part was I never got to say goodbye because he lived in Texas and we live in Maryland. The last time I saw him was like two or three months before he died.

Anyways, I thought I'd post on here because right now I'm really missing him and feeling kind of like a loser because of the other situation. I'm wondering if anyone else ever feels this way.

Not only that but I feel ashamed just writing that I have no real friends besides my boyfriend. I mean, if people everyday knew that, what would they think of me? Because it's weird, I say hi to people at my job and talk to people who I get along with, but we don't associate on the outside really.

At this moment, yes, I have friends, as in real life friends, and friends who I'm close to. I have many acquaintances who have the potential to be my good friends but they just put their time ahead of mine. Since I still live with my family, they're also my friends since they're the only ones who know me my whole life. Don't worry about what other people think of you not having any friends besides him. Just remember this: "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." People who judge you without really knowing you are no better than people who are just making themselves look good and who are just so desperate to please everybody.

I've gone through most of middle school and highschool having almost no friends, except for one or two, and struggled to find new friends. But even though you probably have a lot of acquaintances, I think you can always find ways to become their friend. What I've noticed over the course of my life in school and at work is that in order to HAVE friends, I had to learn to respect myself and respect others. In order to have friends, I have to be a friend to someone regardless of whether or not they're interested in me. Friends will always come and go but just know that as long as you strive to be nice to people and show them that you care, it won't be long until you realise you've already made new friends. Which reminds me of another quote: "It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice." :D

How_slow_the_Wind

"Having lots of friends does not equal having friends you can count on or who you can confide in. It doesn't work that way."

I actually agree. I don't think more adjusted people aren't entitled to feel lonely or socially anxious. Its more about the hypocrisy in that he used to know a guy who suffered the same anxieties, and instead of supporting or understanding them, decided to be cruel becuase he couldn't be bothered to deal with the burden.

she1slander

"Having lots of friends does not equal having friends you can count on or who you can confide in. It doesn't work that way."

I actually agree. I don't think more adjusted people aren't entitled to feel lonely or socially anxious. Its more about the hypocrisy in that he used to know a guy who suffered the same anxieties, and instead of supporting or understanding them, decided to be cruel becuase he couldn't be bothered to deal with the burden.

I believe it's a very wise decision to drop friends whose intentions are to make you feel like you're not worth anything because that just pretty much reflect how they feel about themselves. There are just some friendships that you don't need to keep holding onto. Being a loner is far better than becoming friends with people who would rather treat other people like crap. And I say this because I've spend most of my younger years being alone and having almost no friends and despite my lack of social circle, I was still better off on my own. As long as you realise that you can still make friends and that there's always one person out there who needs one. Who knows, you could just be their first. :D

razzle dazzle rose

I actually have a lot of phone numbers in my cell and I don't know how. It is not like I can call any of those people and ask to hang out. Well, some maybe, but I don't even want to hang out with them. Some of them are people I have met online, and we text each other. They would hang out with me, I know, but distance prevents that from happening.

My only real friends are my boyfriend and my sister. But they are my boyfriend and sister...not like "actual" friends. But I will say that my sister and my boyfriend are the best friends I could ever ever have. No one else could ever come close. I guess that is my problem: I rather hang out with these two than with anyone else. I would like a bigger social circle, these don't have to be close friends or anything...just people to hang out with. They don't need to know my deepest secrets...that is what my sister and boyfriend are for! It sort of lowers the stakes thinking about friendship in those terms.

MikeyC

My only real friends are my boyfriend and my sister. But they are my boyfriend and sister...not like "actual" friends. But I will say that my sister and my boyfriend are the best friends I could ever ever have. No one else could ever come close. I guess that is my problem: I rather hang out with these two than with anyone else.
Despite being not "actual" friends, it's certainly quality over quantity. :)

AGR

Well I only consider myself to have one friend,but he lives in another state,there are some girls who I consider as acquaintances,then there is another guy who I dont know what he is to me,sometimes I feel like he is a friend,sometimes I wouldnt mind seeing him getting screwed big time,trust me, he deserves a lot,but it doesnt happen.......

Nouveau

Zero. I had quite a few friends growing up, but I let a lot of the friendships fall off (not staying in contact and such) and so I'm left with no real friends.
The only people I talk to, somewhat regularly, are online and live far from me. One guy I've known for about a year and a girl I've known for about three years.

Lucy:)

I have one friend, but she has a boyfriend now....so you know...not needed anymore and all that jazz. But I am used to being by myself anyway.

Story of my life!
I have 2 close friends, but they both now have boyfriends and now I just get the occasional text. Luckily I have my older sister who I consider to be my best friend! But yeah, its hard when you just stop being important. :/

Imogen

I have one true friend. That's it. I used to have two other friends I was very close to, but they dropped off the face of the earth and no amount of trying to contact them works. I have like friend's of friends, who I know through my friend, but they always speak to her, not me. xD

HeadFace

Umm... Psh.
Friends that I'm in contact with often/actually hang out with? 3
Two of them are lady friends that I text or IM a lot... I'm comfortable with them.
Same with the other one, who's a bro. We all know each other. I actually met the other two from one of them.

Friends that I sometimes hang out with? Just one other person that tags along at times.
He's cool. He's my bro's friend. I used to talk to him way more often, but times change I guess. I haven't talked to him in a while.

I have almost no social life. I mean, I hang out like... Once a month. Maybe even more, if I'm lucky. It's not that I don't like hanging out with them. It's more of they're usually busy or some ****. So it doesn't really feel like a "social life" at all.

razzle dazzle rose

I read about a woman who had agoraphobia and went on a quest to meet all her facebook friends in one year or something like that. She is writing a book on it, I think. Or maybe not, but she totally should! Maybe that is what I have to do, though I don't have hundreds of people to meet or anything...maybe a dozen or two. I would need a good chunk of money of course...

Warm Fuzzy of the Day: Woman Manages Agoraphobia By Meeting Her 325 Facebook Friends

eatamoose372

2, 3 if I count my cat...
but even those are questionable and definitely dwindling since I hardly make an effort to see them.
To be honest, I don't even know anymore.

HeadFace

I read about a woman who had agoraphobia and went on a quest to meet all her facebook friends in one year or something like that. She is writing a book on it, I think. Or maybe not, but she totally should! Maybe that is what I have to do, though I don't have hundreds of people to meet or anything...maybe a dozen or two. I would need a good chunk of money of course...

Warm Fuzzy of the Day: Woman Manages Agoraphobia By Meeting Her 325 Facebook Friends

Woah, intense. And inspiring. That's really cool.