How many girls/women here with SP?

Stressball

It just seems to be guys here, so I kinda feel like an odd one out. :oops:

I'm 21 and had SP for a good 10 years. Before that I was kinda normal. Quiet, but at least I had friends and socialized. Then when I was 10 I started really hating myself. I was frustrated because I couldn't be skinny enough and kept getting fat, and my mum has always placed heavy emphasis on image and acting like a lady, even though I was a tomboy. She was always happiest when I lost weight and looked better, which just made me more depressed because I felt everything else about me was secondary. When I got to highschool I just withdrew and never went out with friends. I just stayed at home playing video games 8-10 hours a day.
It became my life, my escape from reality. Nothing else mattered. My social life just deteriorated to the point I'd only talk when someone talked to me, and I became super self-concious and kept obessesed over what people thought of me.When I finished school the social anxiety, depresssion and gaming addiction was so bad I eventually told my aunt about my problem and she took me to a psychologist and she recommended some anti-depressants. They have helped me alot and I eventually got a job and talked a bit to people...but the sense of loneliness is just too much most of the time. It's like you've missed out on so much socialization, you never know what to say to people and you feel left out when you see other people talking, laughing and bonding. The sadness is just so overwhelming you just withdraw further and don't want to talk to anyone. At work I kind of made a friend out of one of the co-workers, we had some things in common like loving art, anime etc, but I was so nervous and I hardly said much. But she left work eventually, and I just felt isolated again. It took a huge amount of effort to even speak and get to know her a bit. My old friends from highschool and primary school tried to get into contact with me again and I kept rejecting their offers to go out for years, then eventually I did and the anxiety almost killed me but its not as bad anymore. I still feel hopeless and socially stupid. I never know what to say, never know how to make a conversation with people. These days I'm still working but I'm trying to lose weight and get some confidence, I just feel that if I look good things will be a little easier, and people will treat me better. I'm still trying to get rid of this depression and emptiness I feel. SP just consumes you.

miss_amy

Hello :)

I'm female. There are a fair few girls on this site. You are not alone.

A few of them can be found in the chatroom if you ever feel like going in there. The boys are nice too. Ive made male friends here that I get on really well with.

DannieCleo

Also a girl, albeit a new one! (If you can count a 30 year old as a "girl". Don't feel (or look!) a day over 24)!!

I got a story similar to yours, espescially in temrs of the "tomboy" thing. It took me a long time to assert my independance in terms of the way i dress, so now i feel "behind" other women my age. Don't feel or look feminine, and sometimes i just don't want to.

akele

i'm a very old girl, compared with you lot!
to the original poster, i recommend pursuing your interest in art by joining an art class or group. i did that last year, in my area. they have all kinds of classes and workshops, and some days where they just all take their art they're working on and do it at the centre, or some just go to hang around and have a cuppa among others. theres no pressure to make conversation becos everyones concentrating on their painting. sometimes i hardly said a word to anyone, and it didnt matter a bit. you will get to feel very relaxed without the pressure to talk. and that will enable you to talk a bit when you feel like it. besides that, you'll improve your work and that will help with your self esteem. also, it gives you something to tak about!

btw, dont limit friendship to your own age group. it can be very satisfying and enjoyable to mix with other age groups, and also there might be less anxiety, as old people or much younger ones, will not feel as threatening.

all the best

pippa

milo001

i'm a girl as well.didn't post for a few weeks now.don't worry you're not alone.i always thought more girls have social phobia than guys.

PhantomPod

I am also a girl, and 21 years old. Oh, and I feel ya on the tomboy thing. Even now, I am still rather tomboyish and like to dress preppy-like in polo shirts and khakis. And although I am happy with my style of dress, I still do not feel comfortable in it, because of how it seems girls are expected to have long flowing hair, and wear their hair down all the time and wear low-cut shirts, etc etc etc. So I don't even feel comfortable and attractive as I am.

Bianca

I'm a girl. I think that there are a lot of women on here. I have always been a "tomboy." Now days you are either a tomboy or a girly girl. Which is crap. Just because I don't dress like a 5 dollar whore I am considered a tomboy. Go figure.

VioletTears

I'm female, too. I'm also surprised that there's so many guys on this forum comparred to girls.I wonder if that tends to be true of most forums in general? The other forum I go to stemmed out of a pregnancy forum so it's quite a bit different!

rain_

Infected_Malignity said:
i'm not a girl at all. but i'm evil, and that's the closest you can get to being a girl while still being male!

hurrah

I'd assume the closest for a guy would be a transsexual. You definitely sound more like a real dick from that post; thus male.