How do You Smile at someone?

PapaSmurf

Situation: There is a pretty girl i dont know across the room at a party/on a bus/in a classroom/ on the street...ect..... I want to smile at her, you know like in the movies and stuff.

How do i do that?

I never smile much in real life and whenever i try to smile in front of a mirror it looks fake and creepy. Also whenever i try to smile with my mouth closed it looks creepy and un natural. It seems like if you dont smile enough you forget how to do it naturally.

SO anyone have any advise or experience similar problems?

Should the mouth be open and teeth exposed when i smile or mouth shut??

this seems like such a stupid question but it really bothers me....

Emily_G

Keep in mind...movies are not real life, things are very different. In real life, the girl probably wouldn't see you, wouldn't know you were smiling at her (vs. smiling at someone else behind her or something), totally freak out, etc.

black-wings

Keep in mind...movies are not real life, things are very different. In real life, the girl probably wouldn't see you, wouldn't know you were smiling at her (vs. smiling at someone else behind her or something), totally freak out, etc.

I agree with Emily. But if you just wanted to try it, a quick smile showing your teeth, nothing too heavy, and quick wave like "hi" would do.

PapaSmurf

wait...

so your telling me i shouldnt smile at people i dont know?

WTF i thought that was the social norm.

What if she is looking at you from across the room or your looking at her and your eyes meet? Then do u smile?

i feel stupid

black-wings

You can smile just be casual. A quick smile with you teeth and a "hi how are you?" will do it. But those movie moments where two lovers eyes meet and everything goes in slow motion, yeah you can forget that lol

agoraphobickatie

i don't think there's anything improper or "movie like" about smiling at someone... generally, just being polite, i smile and anyone i see who catches my eye.. just to be nice.. no, i don't bust out a full teeth smile, i just smirk and give a sweet look, ya know? just smirk.. a small half hearted smile, lol.. just kinda pull one side of your mouth up, you know what i mean?

like this, this is what i mean by 'smirk'--
2d1kz8x.jpg

sorry if that pic is huge, lol

Emily_G

wait...

so your telling me i shouldnt smile at people i dont know?

WTF i thought that was the social norm.

What if she is looking at you from across the room or your looking at her and your eyes meet? Then do u smile?

i feel stupid

I don't think so...I don't smile at strangers in the store and no one smiles at me, don't really make eye contact or anything. Except for the person who checks me out at the register....

PapaSmurf

Wow thanks for the replys guys.

Thanks Katie, i knew there wasnt anything wrong with smiling at someone if they look at you.

If your smirk is that beutiful then ill bet your smile is jaw dropping. :)

WorldEndsWithMe

I you make eye-contact with someone, it's nice to just give them a closed-mouth smile. The hardest part is resisting the urge to just jerk your head away...

Apparently, fake smiles (ie. forcing yourself to smile) do not look as natural as real smiles, so maybe the reason you think it looks weird is because you're trying to force the smile in the mirror? You're probably just being overly critical of yourself. =)

The eye-contact smile thing does work though! One time some guy was looking at me and I caught his eye and smiled and he came over and talked to me. Haha. My best friend's sister is so pro at this move and she always has guys approaching her (ofcourseshe'salsoreallyhotsoyeah) but hey, it can't hurt to try?