How do people cope with work when suffering with SA

SweetCupcake

I am thinking of starting full time work as a support worker next year around May.
This would be my first "real" job and i have my doubts.
How do you cope with working and suffering from SA?
Also, what kind of job do you have? I choose this job because i will be looking after people with learning disabilities and i know they wont judge me
or make fun of me. :oops:
Thats if i even get an interview. :cry:

Remus

Staff member
to be honest I just "grit my teeth and bear it", it does get better as you get more used to it, as any kind of exposure will.

JonnyD

find the most reclusive job you can
bow down to everyone
feel miserable with yourself
but keep working ,for a abusive income, because else everbody will look at you and say you are a loser and don't have a job, and you'll be reminded of ths fact every 5 minutes by your family

-that's what i did in my first year of "tries"-

OR

don't bend to the anxiety and try finding a job with your head up , beat your difficulties and keep working even with your problems

obviosly it's easier to say, and if you got panic attacks for example you don't need a work you need a MEDIC

PS: SOmetimes i'm a jerk!

Sempfy

Remus said:
to be honest I just "grit my teeth and bear it", it does get better as you get more used to it, as any kind of exposure will.

Yep, pretty much.
It might take some time, but you will get used to the environment and the people you are working with/around. It took me a good 6 months to really settle into a full time job, but I feel all the more confident now because of it. I actually started off doing work experience for mornings only, then I was offered paid work full time. I really had to ease back into a working environment, but I'm thankful I did.
Oh, by the way, I work in a hospital doing store duties. I like it because I can go at my own pace and have time to myself too. I used to be terrified of telephones, but since being in this job, I've almost cured that phobia. :) Like I said, doesn't happen overnight, but it will happen. :p

Richey

Ya know its funny, once you move out and it becomes a need more then a commodity it actually becomes fun looking and even trying out new jobs, awkwardness and interaction seems a lot less daunting then the actual responsibilty to look after yourself in the real world financially ...

im applaying for on average 50 jobs a day as the market is slowing down and more people are applying for advertisements ...

the trick is to not care, there will be people you can relate to and alot more that you wont relate to but they'd have to be trying very hard to make your life difficult for a job to become grating for the reasons of relationships and conversation when you should just say to yourself "im earning money and many others arnt so lucky" everything else is a bonus ...

That was actually how my friend got better. He lived in the city and his SA got really bad, so he moved back home with his parents and then got a job working in the bar of the hotel, and he recovered by doing that, just by being around people, and he developed so much confidence from it. So it definitely could be a really good thing, getting a job.
Don't get a job with too much pressure though, my job made me worse, working in a small but busy shop...claustraphobia tastic! :lol:

weak

SweetCupcake said:
I am thinking of starting full time work as a support worker next year around May.
Also, what kind of job do you have? I choose this job because i will be looking after people with learning disabilities and i know they wont judge me

You're just like everyone else on here... scared of the unknown. It's normal. Once you have the job and adjust to your new surroundings though, the anxiety will likely fade.

PhantomPod

I work as a customer service rep for a company. Mostly answering emails, but sometimes having to deal with phone calls. Making phone calls is one of my worst nightmares, and I still have not been able to get over it. I had to make a call today and it took me prob 30 mins just to psyche myself up enough to make the call

You definitely get used to it though and learn to deal after a little while. Some days it is not too bad, and other days it can be pretty difficult, depending on how the clients are. Plus, the money is certainly nice.

Good luck on the job hunt! That sounds like it would be a nice job, assisting people with learning disabilities like that.

nico82

PhantomPod said:
I work as a customer service rep for a company. Mostly answering emails, but sometimes having to deal with phone calls. Making phone calls is one of my worst nightmares, and I still have not been able to get over it. I had to make a call today and it took me prob 30 mins just to psyche myself up enough to make the call

You definitely get used to it though and learn to deal after a little while. Some days it is not too bad, and other days it can be pretty difficult, depending on how the clients are. Plus, the money is certainly nice.

Good luck on the job hunt! That sounds like it would be a nice job, assisting people with learning disabilities like that.

I'm like that with customer phone calls too as I work in medical billing and I just started at a new job on monday. I'm already worried about having to make calls as this job sometimes routes customer calls to you and sometimes you have to call customers for information (neither of which I had to do in my old job).

I keep hearing all of my coworkers taking calls throughout the day and I'm terrified about the day that that'll be me. I know I shouldn't be so nervous as I've taken customer calls before but still, ack! 8O

jordo

SweetCupcake said:
that would be a great job and i think you'll be able to improve your social skills with it. good luck!

i told my psychiatrist that i wanted to have a job working with the disabled so i wouldnt hopefully be made fun of. =/

willows

Any human contact makes me hate myself even more. So, I truly admire those of you have SA and work. There may be hope for you yet.

dottie

Remus said:

yep that's it. it's like when you have to eat something you hate. you close your eyes, hold your nose, and bare it the best you can. you may be visably cringing, shaking, looking a mess to others but you gotta do what you gotta do. fuck em. it's survival.

irished

help!

hi everyone i have a social phobia now for over a decade, and i have not worked now because of it for the same period of time!....my fear of starting a new job even going places on my own is destroying my life. i would so love to be able to find a new carear and be doing something i love to do, i am on disability benefit and feel a slave to it now, if i take a chance and go out there and get a job i could lose my benefit and i fear that if my phobia gets the better of me i will lose that too and then be left with nothing, this catch 22 situation has left me feeling miserable and i find it hard to make any decision at all "PLEASE NEED SOME ADVICE"

Sometimes you just have to be as obnoxious and annoying as everyone else. Make noise, cuss, listen to loud music, brag about shit you know isn't true. It sucks, but if everyone around you is an asshole then you have to be a bit of an asshole too, just to survive.

Todd Rundgren said:
I dont want to work
I want to bang on the drum all day
I dont want to play
I just want to bang on the drum all day

Ever since I was a tiny boy
I dont want no candy
I dont need no toy
I took a stick and an old coffee can
I bang on that thing til I got
Blisters on my hand because

When I get older they think Im a fool
The teacher told me I should stay after school
She caught me pounding on the desk with my hands
But my licks was so hot
I made the teacher wanna dance
And thats why

Listen to this
Every day when I get home from work
I feel so frustrated
The boss is a jerk
And I get my sticks and go out to the shed
And I pound on that drum like it was the bosss head
Because

I can bang that drum
Hey, you wanna take a bang at it?
I can do this all day

sketchy24

Just suck it up, stick with it and never give up on the job just cause you had a bad day.

Remember, people when they first meet you will not know you have SA. They will not know you have problems talking to people till about maybe the third week when you're still acting shy. Try to talk when people say hi to you. Just a hi or a smile or something. If people say something in a sarcastic way, just make a big grin, brush it off and dont worry about it. Just do the best you can at the job you are given REGARDLESS of how you feel. They'll at least know you're a good worker and don't complain about the overtime or extra work if you have any. Its easy to be a complainer and no one likes complainers.

And don't be obnoxious and annoying like everyone else. Sure people can be assholes but unless you can hold yourself and be an asshole while joking, ok. But dont just be an asshole and brag about untrue stuff. Then you don't look like an asshole, you look like a douchebag. There is one guy at work who fits this to a T. He does not have SA but he is a complete douchebag. He's obnoxious, cusses like no tomorrow, brags about everything, thinks hes cool, and he ALWAYS complains. This is the most hated person in the plant. No one likes him period. He'll go up and talk to anyone and as soon as he leaves, everyone starts talking about him. I'm a nice guy and even I can't handle this idiot. Were waiting for the day he's fired. So don't be like that.... Thats bad advice IMO.

Anyway, just try to test yourself every day and if you can't one day, don't give up. You can try and practice your social skills the next day. And stay positive regardless (easier said than done, trust me but I'm sure you know that anyway). I've just finished up two years at my job going on 3 now and I am soooooo much farther than I was two years ago. Sure I'm still growing but even people at work notice Im not quite the same person that started two years ago. I can push myself to talk easier, I can hold myself up, joke, etc. Ya when I'm around people I havent had much contact with its harder but still, I may be able to talk with them giving the situatioin. But anyway, ya just stick with it, don't give up, keep trying everyday, and you'll get it but it takes time.... and patience.

You can do it. I hated my job btw when I first started. I wanted to quit after the first week. I thought I was gonna get fired. After three weeks I REALLY hated it, I hated the people (not them personally but just cause I felt they were judging me every moment and though I Was someone who couldn't do anything and hated them for it), I hated the job so much but I stuck with it cause one, I never had a job before. I knew it would be hard to get another job, let alone one that pays this well. My aunt helped me find the job cause I told her a wee bit I was having troubles with myself and her husband knew the manager so I put in an application. I didn't wanna quit after they helped me out a bit. Also, I didn't want to solidify the thoughts I know everyone had in their head (that I couldn't do the job etc). I wanted to prove that I COULD do it. And I did. It was hard but I did.

Anyway... you can do it too if I can :D

dpr

Factory jobs > office jobs, in my opinion.

There's nothing like clerical work to make you feel shitty about yourself. The people are always boring and one-dimensional, everybody drinks too much coffee and you're always kind of worried that you're not "dressed up" enough or that you might have said something wrong (can't talk politics or religion in an office!)

And the fluorescent lights suck, too.

I have worked a lot of office jobs and I have to say I prefer factory work. The people are more laid back and you usually have more time to yourself. The pressure to make small talk isn't really there.

I taught guitar at a music studio for four years. That was kind of office-y, but it wasn't too bad cuz at least I had something in common with all my co-workers right off the bat. If all else failed, I could always just talk about music.

GoRudy

sabbath92003 said:
Sometimes you just have to be as obnoxious and annoying as everyone else. Make noise, cuss, listen to loud music, brag about shit you know isn't true.
[/quote]

I see people that do that and a lot of people think it is funny or cool or part of that person's clever personality but when I get loud and push myself into the center of attention, I come off as an idiot to everyone. So, yeah I fear others' judgment but I also suck at being an extrovert. And because my active conscious mind is so in tune with my situation, I hardly h
ear any of the chit chat going and am almost always considered that guy that can't remember anything.

Andrew

I don't know what job I am going to do. I have been looking at jobs lately and I can't even think of any I want to apply for, not that there are that many at the moment. I have a degree but it probably won't help me. My main problem is slowness and lack of concentration due to OCD. I have dealt with my SA to some degree so am not very scared about social contact during the job, in fact I like it.

Things I have done:

Pizza delivery driver: slavery. I don't think I even made more money than was being lost due to the depreciation of my car. I had bad SA at the time so there was constant panic about running into various social situations.

Courier driver: this was an excellent job but it is hard to find any like it at the moment. Lots of time on your own or with customers, not much time with managers around.

Factory work: I was too slow, didn't fit in with the demographic of factory workers, and felt like I would develop RSI if I continued more than a week in the job. The job did kind of make me feel good.... working in a factory. It is definitely a nicer feeling than working in an office cubicle and typing on a computer.

IT person: I hate IT.

Office assistant: Had impossible deadlines that I never met, yet the deadlines were 'flexible' so I really didn't have deadlines, which made the stress even worse as there was nothing for me to work towards. I could not stand the female workers. Bitchy and undermining. They were also extremely serious about everything and constantly trying to play office politics or had some kind of strategic agenda. A good aspect of the job was talking on the phone to customers.. that was much more relaxing.

So having said all that, I guess my ideal job is one where I am not under constant supervision, have a lot of customer contact, have definable goals, and the job forces me to do things.

AGR

There is so much drama in my work place that I am even ashamed to post here and its all because I am a complete social failure.