"hmm" noises

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Hi, I was wondering if anyone else ever caught themselves, or had it pointed out to them, that they make non-verbal noises when around people or in conversation or in the company or others (or, by yourself I suppose). If so, what are they and when do you find yourself making them?

I have a tendency of making this humming "hmm" noise. Sometimes it's just flat out quiet humming actually. I will make it in a lot of situations. During a comfortable (or awkward) silence I may make the noise when I have nothing to say but want to sort of show I'm there or recognize the other person is still, i.e. I am not ignoring you or zoned out, I'm just not talking. Also when people are talking to me I sort make the noise as sort of a confirmation type thing while I'm nodding, not really knowing the noise is audible though. Until recently I did not know the noise was audible at all until someone pointed it out to me.

Anyone else make noises?

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I make "uhh" "ehh" and stutter often when I talk because I get nervous. Does that count?

Sure! I make those noises too a lot, especially when I'm not sure what to say/not sure if I want to say what I'm thinking.

The hmm noises I use I feel are more like replacements for words almost, like if my mouth was sewn shut that is what I would do when interacting with people

InvisaLady

Yeah, I tend to do that a lot, so does my dad. Kind of like having our own language of grunts and noises.

jonas89

well I dont hmm much,, but I tend to hesitate sometimes specially with english,, words just somehow get in my way and then I start to hmm a little bit,

also you can't hum while holding your nose closed :Þ