Hiding physically to hide emotionally?

BlaiseBLATES

Recently my road to recovery has been right infront of me and I'm coping well, and I've been able to go on small journeys out to town with my mum, but a couple weeks ago when we were out my mum realised that whenever I saw someone looking vaugely in my direction I would fold my arms across my chest and my head would sink into my shoulders..I've never realised I did it, but ever since I've caught myself on a few occasions doing so.
Does anybody else do this or similar things?

Yeah, I'm always playing with the hair around my face if I'm nervous around someone. I'll put it up, take it down, play with my fringe (bangs), tuck it behind my ears, tighten my ponytail, fix it over and over again...I just noticed it properly a few weeks ago, even though I'd sort of known I was doing it, just I wasn't thinking about it. I'm sure I look really weird lol

yomisma19

hi, maybe your feel the people is judging you and u try to protect yourself. could be it?
when somebody is looking in my direction, i think this person is looking me, is judging me, and i feel this person knows about my depression problems and my incapacities i have...but this persons doesn't know me...is too irrational. then when I'm in a close place with no so much persons (for example, when i'm going to the doctor) i feel it more intesely...sometimes in few minutes I feel comfortable..or not

Luke1993

This is the stance I always do when I think someone is looking at me or I'm in any social situation:

stance.jpg

I'm always fidgety around people, and when I realize I'm doing it, it makes it worse. I'll play with my ear, fold my arms, put my hand over my mouth, scratch even though I don't have an itch, and being a tall guy, I'll try to make myself smaller and more inconspicuous by leaning against a wall. I have bad posture when sitting in a chair around others (slouching over or leaning back) for the same reason. When walking in crowds, I'll raise my shoulders and stick my hands in my pockets... like a guarded thing.

Avarak

I don't know why but for some reason whenever I feel uncomfortable around someone I pretend to yawn a lot.

Yeah me too I always use my mobile and pretend I'm txting someone on it. Sometimes I really am..but most of the time I'm not. And as someone else mentioned, I also scratch even though I don't have an itch...

Helyna

Yup. I mostly remember it starting in PE class in ninth grade. I was always uncomfortable because I didn't know anybody and a lot of the class was standing around, so I would kind of hold my left arm with my right hand or cross my arms. I started doing that other places.
I think if you concentrate on not doing it, then you will be more confident!

applegirl

I never know what to do with my hands when I'm just standing in a crowd or standing in the hallway of my school. Usually I'll take one hand and readjust the strap of my bag on my shoulder and the other hand I have it in a fist. It's never a clenched fist anymore like in the past because I'm less anxious but still other physical movements of mine still kinda stick out. I have a habit of readjusting my glasses (they do kind of slide down my nose a bit every now and then). the one thing I hate that I do is I bite my lips when I'm walking past people or if someone looks at me when I don't want to be seen.

Honda

i still bite my lips whenever i feel anxious.. People find me to be stressed out for no reason and sometimes tease me for it.. I used to be stiff and walk funny cuz i was lost and confused but now its less..

ThePunisher

Recently my road to recovery has been right infront of me and I'm coping well, and I've been able to go on small journeys out to town with my mum, but a couple weeks ago when we were out my mum realised that whenever I saw someone looking vaugely in my direction I would fold my arms across my chest and my head would sink into my shoulders..I've never realised I did it, but ever since I've caught myself on a few occasions doing so.
Does anybody else do this or similar things?

My head usually sinks into my shoulder when I'm sitting down, probably cause i'm anxious.

I use to also fold my arms a lot and look down to the ground while I'm walking but now I look up while I'm walking and I don't fold my arms as much anymore.

It's a matter of focusing and realising when you're doing it and to stop it when it happens. Also not to put too much pressure on yourself to get it accomplish. Like set a goal to stop it from happening everyday little by little. By the time your habit would have probably changed, I know mine has :)

But then again if it doesn't bother you that much and you don't care what people think about you. Then who cares :D

Honda

Hey not everyone that messes with you is also a bad guy but they find it a point of attention when you're acting all weird, might aswell do whatever that makes you happy, not care and just enjoy life..

ThePunisher

Hey not everyone that messes with you is also a bad guy but they find it a point of attention when you're acting all weird, might aswell do whatever that makes you happy, not care and just enjoy life..

Well said and true too. Some don't even realise they're hurting you until you tell them.