Herbal Medicine for Depression/Anxiety?

reslo

my therapist reccomended for me to take 2,000 mg of fish oil twice a day- i haven't tried it yet to help with my anxiety. he said that the only known side effect is diarreah if you take too much? so i haven't tried it, but that was reccomeneded to me.

EscapeArtist

my therapist reccomended for me to take 2,000 mg of fish oil twice a day- i haven't tried it yet to help with my anxiety. he said that the only known side effect is diarreah if you take too much? so i haven't tried it, but that was reccomeneded to me.

Fish oil is a good idea. I would look for krill oil. Fish oil can have a lot of heavy metals and other ick things in it that make it actually worse for you.. Krill oil, because it's the bottom of the food chain, is a lot better. It also has more EPA, which is better for depression than DHA. if I remember clearly. It also has 48 times the amount of antioxidants than fish oil... also ". In addition to EPA and DHA, krill oil contains a complex phospholipid profile including phosphatidylcholine, a potent source of reductive-stress-reducing choline, which also acts as a natural emulsifier."

I tried Rhodiola Rosea and looking back on it, if you get it from the right source (the body soul mind brand or something along those lines) it does work, although very gradually, so gradual you may not notice. But I think it did work, looking back.

The best thing you can do for depression/anxiety, so far I've found is cutting out things, not adding things, to your diet. The main culprits being gluten and lactose... which both contain morphine like substances that make your system go haywire. Gluten and lactose are both extremely acidic and are also the most damaging to the 90% of serotonin in your body, which exists in your digestive tract!! These two foods put that 90% of serotonin out of WHACK, and do harm to your entire body (ADD, autism, bipolar, schizophrenia, arthritis, and all auto-immune diseases, may if not most are caused by these two foods) I strongly suggest you try removing them from your diet

Last edited:

lunarla

I've been taking vitamin D (I tend to not get a lot of sun), Vitamin C, a multivitamin and a powdered vitamin B3 (niacin). That, eating healthy and exercising - I've been feeling pretty magical.

EscapeArtist

I know that vitamind D is important. But I hear that you can't really get it the same way through supplements... Synthetic, and all. I tried Rhodiola Rosea and it actually worked quite well, though over a fairly long period of time and very gradually. You have to get a certain brand too, mind body and soul or something. It was such a gradual improvement that I didn't notice it until I stopped taking it.

Kava kava, is good for moments where you need a quick relaxant. It's more natural than Xanax or Klonopin, and works very well. I used to take it to get out the door for school, especially because it wears off within 30 minutes. I think that the most long term approach to anxiety is just conquering the fear, though. I have given up on herbs.

Last edited:

Blinkers

Have heard that Passionflower is good for helping to ease anxiety.

Hi Aussie Lad! Yes, I'm sure I read about the benefits of Passionflower in todays (or yesterdays ?) Herald Sun. And this comes a couple of days after I ordered 3 boxes of St Johns Wort from the US. Lol, just my luck! Oh well, hopefully the St Johns Wort has a positive effect... :)

Daz

Fish oil is a good idea. I would look for krill oil. Fish oil can have a lot of heavy metals and other ick things in it that make it actually worse for you.. Krill oil, because it's the bottom of the food chain, is a lot better. It also has more EPA, which is better for depression than DHA. if I remember clearly. It also has 48 times the amount of antioxidants than fish oil... also ". In addition to EPA and DHA, krill oil contains a complex phospholipid profile including phosphatidylcholine, a potent source of reductive-stress-reducing choline, which also acts as a natural emulsifier."

I tried Rhodiola Rosea and looking back on it, if you get it from the right source (the body soul mind brand or something along those lines) it does work, although very gradually, so gradual you may not notice. But I think it did work, looking back.

The best thing you can do for depression/anxiety, so far I've found is cutting out things, not adding things, to your diet. The main culprits being gluten and lactose... which both contain morphine like substances that make your system go haywire. Gluten and lactose are both extremely acidic and are also the most damaging to the 90% of serotonin in your body, which exists in your digestive tract!! These two foods put that 90% of serotonin out of WHACK, and do harm to your entire body (ADD, autism, bipolar, schizophrenia, arthritis, and all auto-immune diseases, may if not most are caused by these two foods) I strongly suggest you try removing them from your diet

I've never heard of krill oil until this morning when I received an email. It was an offer for - Krill Oil 500mg 60 Soft Gels. 50% off of £30. So it seems quite expensive (outwith the offer).

I'm looking to get on some herbal medicine. in the near future as well, so I'll do some research into this krill oil.

UnOccupied

I take nutrition at college. My teacher branches off into a story about natural healing supplements every so often, so i know she has an open mind about the stuff. She is VERY intelligent also. She always tells us stories of cancer, and heart disease patients living on natural medicines, after a doctor told them they had only a few months left to live on regular pharmaceuticals. I want to ask her SO bad about her opinion on natural medicines or a recommendation of where to go to find out more info in them, related to anxiety and depression. I am just having a little trouble gaining the courage to do this. :(

MaliceInWickedland

I take this herbal medicine called PureCalm every morning before I head off to school.
I haven't had any negative side affects or allergic reactions to it and it seems to work off most of my nerves.
I'd recommend it to anyone who's interested :)

3lefts

well weed is very good for depression or i just take asprins works good im feeling good haha:D:)

Ahem* I would completely disagree.... Maybe not completely, maybe there are exceptions? Maybe in moderation!
But I wouldn't recommend for anxiety and depression. Maybe for fun, maybe if that's what you're into, but if you're having trouble with anxiety, be warned that it can increase paranoia and have a negative effect in a depressive way as well. It's always good to research stuff, just look for facts and not opinions.

Last edited:

just wanna b normal

Ahah, I was talking about the weed part. Asprin's alright.

no actually weed is great not 4 long term use or besides it causes paranoia or whatever but it reduce the stress by thousand or a million alot it was iam trying to get at. in fact if i was high rite now ill be off in dreamland rite now with out a care in the world until tommorrow come cuzz thats when it wears off:):D