Hello from SierraSage

SierraSage

Hi..I am new here..just thought I would introduce myself. I am 38 years old, female, from the western USA. I work as a writer for various online and local places.

I am here because I have basically no friends, have never dated anyone, and am completely isolated except for some relatives I live with..who I don't really talk to other than day to day stuff just to keep peace in the household.

I just had a huge blowup fight with the last friend I had. We sort of patched things up a couple days ago but still aren't really talking. There's a long story there that would be better for another place on here I'm sure..but the situation speaks to my life overall.

I don't want to be like this. I am not sure what type of dating relationship I want...but I do want one..and I know I want to have a small crowd of friends. I am just terrified and lost as to how to meet people who are going to treat me decently.

It isn't that I have poor social skills. If you drop me into a crowd of strangers, I can strike up conversations and get along just fine. I am also extremely perceptive when it comes to how other people are feeling about other people. My problem is that I like to let other people "save face" to the extreme, and I have struggled with low self confidence my entire life. I pretend to be naive a lot and let people do things most people would call them on and tell them to buzz off partly because I don't want to embarrass or hurt them and partly because I think I'm so unpleasant that I owe it to anyone who decides to be kind to me for whatever reason.

I also have appearance issues. Until the friend that I mentioned above, I never really realized men find me attractive. That is also another story for another board on here..but it's always been a huge part of my social anxiety.

Anyway...that's why I'm here.

laure15

Welcome to the forum SierraSage!

I am also extremely perceptive when it comes to how other people are feeling about other people. My problem is that I like to let other people "save face" to the extreme, and I have struggled with low self confidence my entire life. I pretend to be naive a lot and let people do things most people would call them on and tell them to buzz off partly because I don't want to embarrass or hurt them and partly because I think I'm so unpleasant that I owe it to anyone who decides to be kind to me for whatever reason.

This is a problem for me too and you hit it right on the spot. I made the mistake of equating people pleasing to social success. The more people I make happy, the more socially successful I am, right? Wrong! I used to be so concerned for other people that I let them step over me. Sometimes I even pretend to be stupid so that they can feel good. I was afraid of pointing out their flaws out of fear that they will get embarassed and hate me for it. And as bizarre as it sounds, sometimes I would tell myself, "I know i'm hurt, but at least I don't hurt other people, right?" It's like I'm giving a license for people to hurt me even more while I just pretend that I'm not affected (poker face!).

SierraSage

Exactly! My idea of social success has always been to be a "people pleaser" in that manner. But like you, I am learning that this is not the kind of social success you want. I am slowly allowing myself to learn the lesson that it's better to have three friends who are your friends because they genuinely like you than ten friends who are your friends because you give them their way all the time and they find you useful for favors or whatever.

I did that too...took hurt for other people...told myself it didn't matter if I was hurt...as long as I wasn't hurting other people. It's taking me a long time to get rid of that belief and accept it that I am not lesser than other people ....and make it a rule for my life that if I wouldn't do something to someone else...then it isn't okay for them to do it to me.

MikeyC

If you drop me into a crowd of strangers, I can strike up conversations and get along just fine. I am also extremely perceptive when it comes to how other people are feeling about other people.
This sounds a little bit like me. Anxiety affects us in various ways.

Welcome to the forum, Sierra. I hope you enjoy it here.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Hiya, welcome tae the forum. Or should that be "to"? <--- *Sorry aboot that. Ah tend to write in ma "native language" - or as to it as ah can get - on here. Scottish, in case yer wonderin'. For whatever reason some on this forum find it charming. :giggle:

Aye, anyway, welcome! :greeting:

SierraSage

Thanks Graeme! My own posts here are probably going to be distinctive too. I don't have much of an accent..but I'm a professional writer who also talks too fast..so the combination gets interesting. One paragraph will look ready to be published in an essay...one will barely make sense.