Have you given up?

Have you given up on dating?

• Yes

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters

drganon

I've never been on a date, so I can't really give up something I've never done. Now if you're asking If I've given up hope, then yes, I believe my chances of ever going out on a date are slim to none. My chances of ever falling in love are even less.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
One of them even decided to turn homosexual because of it.

Take this with a pinch of salt. He might have lied to you.

One doesn't "turn homosexual", you're born like that. He either was bisexual, he's lying or he's dating men just because, which is less likely if he's straight in the first place. It makes no sense.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
But I've seen very, very few in real life. All the "good" relationships out there are ones that I only see on the internet. Everywhere I've gone in real life, I've seen the most miserable people imaginable, and the only happy ones are single.

So you discard those good stories only because they aren't "in real life"? Then how are you going to find insight if the number of people you talk to is limited and, unfortunately, they all had bad experiences, which is not helping your case?

Besides, this 98% of unhappy people... how many are they? Tell me an exact number.

thegunners21

I've never considered dating/relationships/marriage/etc as "the thing for me". I've always found all that as somewhat repulsive & "common". So i've dug my heels in all these years, refusing to let society force me to conform to the norm. I hate conforming, being "common" or normal, being "fake", etc. I'd rather die than conform.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this. What if conforming is good for you. Can't just rule out something automatically because then you'd be "conforming". That actions seems devoid of any thinking.

You analyze every situation, and decide if you want conform or not depending on how advantageous it would be for you to conform.

A friend

So you discard those good stories only because they aren't "in real life"?

I don't have the money to move to somewhere else, where there's different sorts of people, and ones that have histories of successful, civilized relationships.

Then how are you going to find insight if the number of people you talk to is limited and, unfortunately, they all had bad experiences, which is not helping your case?

The answer to this question is obvious.

Besides, this 98% of unhappy people... how many are they? Tell me an exact number.

26, out of the people I know in real life. They all say that they don't plan on getting married, and that their relationships were miserable as f***.

2 x sets of issues and insecurities = potentially volatile relationship

It's best to work on self before entering into a relationship. You have a much better shot at a healthy relationship if you have good self esteem.

CrazyGirl

yep, Its really hard to get a conversation out of me to anymore or even maintain a friendship. So, I've basically given up on dating.

Richey

Haven't given up, but i am usually doubtful about most opportunities, however small. I had a much easier time asking female friends out on dates that i'd known through something like sports, education, hobby groups. That stopped around 5 years ago after quite a few attempts that didn't work out. Out of 5 of those dates, 4 of those girls ended up with the guy they truly wanted to go out with, but were just happy to go on a date because they liked me, but maybe i wasn't considered boyfriend material, who knows.

The last 5 years it went from me happy to ask out on dates to feeling lucky if i simply felt a hint of spark or connection or just a little bit of flirting and seeing that as a major success. So things have really gone down hill, and now i can't imagine asking anyone out. Because most of the girls i've ever known, friends, acquenatences, people, tend to go for the guy who is the complete package, or to an extent. I won't say superficial, but certainly, they seem to like the status quo.

But i still hold out that one day i'll meet my destined future girlfriend. somehow.

For some reason from the early 2000s to the mid 2000s i was way more willing to try initiating friendships and dates, but i think because those attempts didn't lead to long term relationships, it really startled me a bit, so now i just wait for it to happen without me doing the work, which hasn't worked..
I think knowing that i've had dates before, and brief relationships, somehow gives me a glimpse that it can be done. But i still find it very difficult.

Last edited:

Fighter86

Pretty much given up, I don't believe in true love, I don't think it really exists. As long as I have someone whom I can spend some time with, I am happy, I wouldn't dare ask for more. The higher the hope, the greater the disapointment. Learned this the hard way.