Grocery shopping is a form of torture.

vernski

I am usually pretty capable of grocery shopping, even on my own. Not today though. Today I almost lost it. The store was packed full of people. It's close to Christmas, the stores are bound to be packed. I must've forgotten. I was so overwhelmed by all of the people around me that I thought I was going to pass out right in the middle of the store with everyone watching. I could feel my stomach getting upset, which hasn't happened in years. I couldn't breathe right. I just wanted to run out the door and take in deep breaths of the freezing air, leaving my sister behind with the cart. But I didn't. I stuck it out and made it home in one piece. It all left me feeling so weak, so depleted.

just wanna b normal

wow! you need to relax! it does feel like that to me when ever i go out. but you need to realize nobody cares! they have there own lives you know. hmmm i just sort of realize that about myself.:rolleyes: haha

Aussie_Lad

Sounds like sensory overload. So much is happening around you it just overwhelms you, and you just feel like you need to get out of the situation. Sensory overload when related to crowds is probably more common than a lot of people realise, particuarly with introverted individual who need their own space in order to "recharge".

Last edited:

Kiwong

Sounds like a panic attack. I had my first panic attack in a shopping centre. I find using the auto check out helps. I get in and out as quickly as possible.

fitftw

I also went to the store yesterday, it was PACKED. I get mad actually when I'm walking in the store and people have those shopping carts EVERYWHERE and it's like a damn maze to get around. I can't stand people. They all move too slow, they're not courteous at all (they wheel the cart in the middle of the aisle and don't move for you)

Why don't people think about other people with their stuff? They think they're the only one in the freaking store, I don't get it, and thus, I hate people. Looking at them makes me sick, I hate being human and one of them. Something about it disgusts me.

Last edited:

vernski

ha, yeah i know i need to relax. i'm pretty high strung sometimes. i've never had a panic attack before, so it could've been. i think it might have to do with my claustrophobia. if i get the slightest feeling that i can't move, i will hyperventilate like nobody's business. the stomach thing i am pretty sure had nothing to do with it now that it's a day later. i am positive that i've got a 2nd round of the stomach flu. oh joy.

Minty

I get sensory-overloaded in stores sometimes. Too much chatter, too many items to look at, and the artificial lighting. I don't freak out though because I know I'm introverted and it's normal. I just pause and take a deep breath until I feel better.

Bustn Justin

I just get mine done late at night where the store is quieter. What is real painful is paying for the groceries.

missjesss

Banned
vernski

Yeah this has happened to me many of times I went shopping a week ago and there was loads of ppl in the supermarket bcoz of xmas etc and it was hard for me to keep focused and concentrate on what I was looking for however I stayed there until I was done just felt terribly uncomfortable ;-( I am used to it now I have my good days and I have my bad

MollyBeGood

haha what happened to finding love in the fruit and veggie section?
I hate the grocery store cuz I live in a small town and everyone wants to know your business. I miss the huge stores in the city at 4 am sometimes.

ripewithdecay

The worst part is the line, ie. paying for your goods, especially when it's a long one.
Cause you know it will be 'your' turn and something could mess up, an item won't scan properly, maybe you left your wallet? all kinds of anxiety inducing worries.
but one thing to keep in mind - nobody wants to be there! think of one person you know who enjoys grocery shopping? it's like going to work for most ppl, just something that you have to do.

fitftw

I break out in a sweat when I'm checking out at the grocery store. I'm afraid of the cashier talking to me, so what I try to do is end that quickly by starting the conversation with "Hi how are you" and 99.9% of the time they'll say "fine and you?" and I'll say "eh I'm alright..." and that's the end of it, but I'm still sweating. I hated BEING a cashier and having to deal with people looking at me ringing their stuff up. Most of the time I did it silently and had a "I really can't stand being here" defeated look on my face,

I feel the same way about Christmas shopping. That's why I'm going as soon as the stores open to get it done since I don't want to go at night.