Going out in public

I enjoy going out as long as I'm with my boyfriend. If I'm by myself or with someone that I'm not close to, I feel very self-conscious and just want to get home. Even if I'm with my boyfriend I have a very hard time going into small shops, I feel far more comfortable in huuuuge stores (like Wal-Mart), where it's more impersonal. It sucks because I'm fascinated by thrift stores and locally owned places, but I'm terrified to go in.

I actually just wrote about this today in my blog. (shameless promotion)

applegirl

Going out in public alone has gotten to the point where I feel better and not so anxious but I still have trouble going in a store and buying something and i peer over at the cashier counter and ... oh, it's a cashier person that was here last time when i bought something and handed over my money. cause seeing the same person again and again makes me feel like i dunno what to do. i can't even tell you the number of times i purposely loitered around aisle after aisle hoping once i could get my courage to head to the counter i wouldn't look like such an idiot or anything. everyday is a struggle. Sometimes my imagination of what could go wrong is very vivid and crazy to the point i almost start believing it because my face gets all flustered and red looking as if i just ran a marathon. my face tells it all when i try to pretend otherwise. :[

Jannah

Banned
I always go out on my own. I just ignore everyone and don't make eye contact with anyone, it really helps a lot. It's when someone tries communicating with me that my anxiety goes up or things get really awkward. Since I have no friends I have to go everywhere by myself. But I'm so used to it that I would actually feel weird if I went out with someone else.

NickyNacker

I always go out on my own. I just ignore everyone and don't make eye contact with anyone, it really helps a lot. It's when someone tries communicating with me that my anxiety goes up or things get really awkward. Since I have no friends I have to go everywhere by myself. But I'm so used to it that I would actually feel weird if I went out with someone else.

You don't have any friends? Not even just one? ::(:

I feel far more comfortable in huuuuge stores (like Wal-Mart), where it's more impersonal. It sucks because I'm fascinated by thrift stores and locally owned places, but I'm terrified to go in.

I'm exactly the same way. I live in a small town, and there are a lot of really neat little shops in our downtown, but I just cannot go in them on my own. Sometimes I'll walk all the way there with the intent to go inside, only to walk by the window about 4 times and leave again.

I'm alright if I'm with my best friend, because when I'm with her it's like my anxiety disappears, so I'm alright going pretty much anywhere.

LadyWench

It usually depends on the situation for me. If I go somewhere alone (which is incredibly rare), I'm toast. There's no way I can emotionally handle it. But even if I go places with someone, I still end up getting anxiety. It isn't ALL the time, but it happens quite frequently. I will normally get a stomach ache, which turns into a panic attack, and that makes the stomach ache worse, and then I have to rush to the bathroom...which increases my anxiety. It's a stupid, vicious cycle.

A few years ago, I was dealing with horrible agoraphobia. I couldn't even go outside to check the mail, let alone go in public. Every time I went to the store or something, I was convinced something bad would happen (like a panic attack in front of everyone), and that everybody was looking at me and judging me. Thinking I'm ugly and fat and blah blah. Stupid stuff. At least I can leave the house now. It's still a struggle, though.

I guess it could be worse. Yay.

mrb

dont mind public places just as well with my job , dont mind talking to people as long as the conversation isnt to intence , but then i have days when i can talk to anyone and be ok , other days i dont want to talk to anyone except my dog charlie :rolleyes: not that he listens to a word i say anyway ..

Krista

I use to be seriously terrified of going out sometimes. Feeling like everyone is staring at you, talking about you and that you never look good enough for anyone. I've gotten a hell of a lot better but for instance, this past Friday my friends and I went to the mall. While we were walking we passed two girls laughing, I would normally think they were laughing at me but I didn't. Didn't really notice them actually until a friend of mine points out that he was sure they were looking and laughing at me, for no reason? After, it was all I could think about. I'm not sure if they were but I was down for the whole rest of the night because of that comment. Sometimes it validates my fears but then I have to think that if I care about it it's only going to give them more to laugh about.

Alyosha

I have a hard time shopping. I always think people are looking at me. I feel so "out of place", I think people can see that there is something wrong with me. I feel like I am being judged. This feeling interferes with my life....I hate that I feel this way.