Going out in public

NickyNacker

Just curious, how bad is going out in public for you guys?

I stay at home most of the time, and just the thought of going out makes my heart pound. It's a lot easier if I'm with someone, but still bad. Yesterday my mom dropped me off at Blockbuster. I didn't know she was dropping me off until we pulled into the parking spot. I walked in and immediately went to stand behind one of the shelves of DVD's. My anxiety gets so bad that I can't concentrate, and all I can think about is the anxiety and the symptoms. I pretty much just hid behind one shelf of DVD's the whole time until my mom came back. Anyways, some of the things that happen: I feel like I'm having hot flashes, and I get sweaty... can't concentrate, heart pounds, my legs feel really weak like they're gonna give out. No matter how much I try to take deep breaths and calm down, it doesn't get any better. It's funny because right when I got back into the car, it's like immediate relief. Like a million pounds off of my shoulders.

How is going out for you guys? :/

AimeeSP

It's funny because right when I got back into the car, it's like immediate relief. Like a million pounds off of my shoulders.

How is going out for you guys? :/

Same with me! Urgh, i really hate going out sometimes. I rarely go out in a public place and if i do go shopping i like to go in one shop and that's it, straight back to the car or i feel like i'll anxiety overdose lol. I spend most my days at home at the moment. I'm hoping to make a change to that this year but for now, home sweet home. :rolleyes:

johnny 85

when im out with my mates i aint too bad. i do feel kinda anxious but nothing i cant handle. when im out on me own and have to interact with people i can feel my heart pounding in my chest, i get really anxious, i cant concentrate and start blushing. today my sis asked me to drop off a sick cert for her into her work place, the very sec i started talkin to one of her bosses i started gettin the above symtoms. needless to say i was quiet relieved to get my ass out of there !!!

rachel592

Could you possibly have agoraphobia? I don't know if I spelled that right, but that sounds like you could have a seperate anxiety or both.

You basically described what I encounter each time. I know the feeling. For example, in grocery stores, I can't even concentrate on what I need to get because my mind is so preoccupied with what I'm feeling or thinking. I circle the isles sometimes. At times, I find it more difficult being with someone because I'm forced to interact, and when I get this way, I can barely speak.

johnny 85

btw i love dis site. its brill been able to say whats on ur mind, to be able to discuss our issues and not be judged.

edit.....

also the people on ere are great and quiet funny when ya get to know them !! so ta guys and gals

Last edited:

Qbmaster

I have no problem at all going out in public. The only thing I have a hard time with is when it feels like I am being observed, which is luckily not very often. In my experience the best way to handle anxiety is to more or less try to ignore it. Hiding will only make it worse. It seems from our post that you are more scared of the anxiety than the situation that causes the anxiety. This might be one of the reasons why it doesn't seem to go away. You focus on it too much. Don't be afraid of the anxiety itself. It is not dangerous.

I'm fine when I'm out in public with people I know. But when I'm shopping by myself...forget it!

I feel like everybody is staring at me and I'm very self conscious about the way I walk for some reason....

NickyNacker

Could you possibly have agoraphobia? I don't know if I spelled that right, but that sounds like you could have a seperate anxiety or both.

Possible, but I hope not :(
Sometimes I feel like it's going to get worse and worse and one day I won't leave the house at all
:(

I'm fine when I'm out in public with people I know. But when I'm shopping by myself...forget it!

I feel like everybody is staring at me and I'm very self conscious about the way I walk for some reason....

Yeah, when im with someone else i'm not that bad, it's when i'm alone.

megalon

I'm to the point where, on an average day, I'm alright with being out in public. I think I even seem to be a normal person, at least until someone attempts to interact with me.

Last edited:
I'm to the point where, on an average day, I'm alright with being out in public. I think I even seem to be a normal person, at least until someone attempts to communicate with me.

Like when you're at the store and someone asks you if you need any help?

Qbmaster

I too sometimes feel very self conscious about the way I walk. What I usually do when this happens is that I try to imagine the worst possible scenario... "Ok. What is the worst thing that could happen now? I seem to have forgotten how to walk, so I might fall over. Ok. what happens then? I fall right in front of that cute girl over there. Then I (for some reason) throw up on her shoes."

For some reason, this helps me. Probably because that helps me realize how absurd my anxiety can be :p

rachel592

I'm kind of alright being in public alone. I just completely ignore everyone around me and focus on what I'm doing. I feel kind of rude doing it but otherwise I would get anxious that people might stop and talk to me or something.

Emily_G

I actually don't mind going out in public..it's going places where I know people that make me nervous.