GLBT People? I Need Friends.

lyricalliaisons

It's taking a lot of courage to post this because I'm really putting myself out there.

I'm 30 years old, a lesbian (although I occasionally have crushes on girly gay guys and male characters on TV shows), and COMPLETELY inexperienced and COMPLETELY isolated from the GLBT community. I have an informal diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome as well as severe social anxiety and agoraphobia which has kept me from ever having any sort of romantic relationship with anyone. I have never even kissed anyone, let alone anything else. I have no real life friends and no gay friends, save for one online acquaintance who is a lesbian and one former online friend who is bisexual. I live in a town in Ohio where there is one gay bar (that I know of) but I would be too afraid to go to it.

Well, my reason for writing this is that I would like to get to know more gay people. I would like to make some gay friends. Male or female (or otherwise) does not matter to me. My therapist suggested that I try to make gay friends when I saw her last week and I know she's right. This is my attempt. I hope I can make some friends from this site. It would be really great if some people live nearby and we could eventually meet. That's just a dream, but I'd be really happy to make even online friends who are far away. Even if the friendships exist only in cyber land, that's fine with me. It's still a step in the right direction and will make me feel less isolated.

So. That was it. I hope I get some replies or some messages from people.
Thanks for reading :)

EscapeArtist

Hey there. I'm really saddened to hear your situation. It must be difficult to have no invvolvement in that pat of your life. I'm suffering with a very similar situation. It's rare to have friends, let alone gay friends? Despite being a lesbian, that scene seems scary and alien. Youre not the only one :) i also have agorophobia.

The suggestion made by your therapist to make gay friends is a really good one. Also pursuing it by posting this, i give you great kudos. I'll be your friend :) i dont think i live near you but id love to talk to you more seeing our situation is so similar

lyricalliaisons

Hey there. I'm really saddened to hear your situation. It must be difficult to have no invvolvement in that pat of your life. I'm suffering with a very similar situation. It's rare to have friends, let alone gay friends? Despite being a lesbian, that scene seems scary and alien. Youre not the only one :) i also have agorophobia.

The suggestion made by your therapist to make gay friends is a really good one. Also pursuing it by posting this, i give you great kudos. I'll be your friend :) i dont think i live near you but id love to talk to you more seeing our situation is so similar

Thanks :) You can message me anytime. I would message you, but I'm nervous lol.

miserablecow

Hi...

I'm kind of in a similar situation, though my SA isn't on the extreme side. I too have been finding it hard to make friends in the LGBT world (well friends in general too). I have been trying to attend social groups etc to try, but I end up not being social able or not talk to anyone and just stare and listen. I identify as bi by the way and haven't been able to explore it either, But I'm still determined to.

I think what you are doing is great and hope you're able to make friends on here and if you want to talk further etc I am here, even though I live very far away.

How_slow_the_Wind

Hey there. Gay male here. I've been to the gay scene a little bit but I also don't have any GLBT friends, although I personally think its that big a deal. Altohugh sometimes you can feel like a minority within a minority.

neardeath

big ol' dyke here. LOL 54. In Minnesota. Nice to meet you!

(Sorry for the slang, but since we just had our victory here in Minnesota, I felt like coming out with a bang.)

(now I am extremely anxious) Somebody, say something!

Last edited: