Giving eye contact to professors

TheTemp

I just started doing this. I'm starting to get more and more comfortable doing it. I remember when my anxiety was at its worst, I would put my head down and take notes incessantly. I would not look up for anything. Now my head is up high and I give the professors as much eye contact as possible. I've even taken it a step further and started participating and engaging in class discussions. I would like some tips though on how to get more comfortable doing it, I know I shouldn't stress about it, I'm not. I'm just so happy doing it I wanna be even more comfortable at it so it's something that comes naturally. Do you guys have any advice? Do all you students give very good eye contact?

GraybeardGhost

Good for you, TheTemp! Just keep doing what you're doing. The more you do it, the easier it will become. Professors love it when their students are engaged and participate in class, and it usually results in higher grades.

surewhynot

I hate it so much when the teacher asks a question to which I know very well the answer, but because of my shyness I keep it to myself.. after half a minute of no one getting it he'll just give it to us, and I feel like **** for not having said anything. ):

Lisy

I think it is great you can give eye contact to professors, usually they remember students who pay attention :)
I'm not good at giving eyec ontact in general, but since I study art and have many laboratories, I have to talk to professors directly and after some time I felt more confident, expecially if the teacher was friendly, maybe you just need time to feel more comfortable :)

I hate it so much when the teacher asks a question to which I know very well the answer, but because of my shyness I keep it to myself.. after half a minute of no one getting it he'll just give it to us, and I feel like **** for not having said anything. ):

it always happens to me, it's frustrating...

Phoenixx

Great job, Temp! That's awesome! :) I'm able to look up and give eye contact with professors too, but I can't participate, let alone hardly talk in class. I've gotten a little better though at talking to the people that sit next to me in some of my classes. Still can't really carry much of a conversation.

Anyway, sorry I don't really have much advice other than just keep doing what you're doing. :)

laure15

I used to give lots of eye contact to my professors and TAs, but I probably look like I'm staring at them so I made some of them feel uncomfortable. But now, I don't have to worry about eye contact problems anymore because my classes are online so I don't need to deal with the awkwardness.