Getting up early?

Jetra

I was wondering if this might be an anxiety symptom: No matter what time I go to bed, I get up at either 5:00a or 6:00s on the dot. I try to sleep later, but my brain goes into automatic overdrive once I open my eyes.

UnOccupied

I find when i have a lot to do throughout the day, that at once i wake up, no matter how early, i can not fall back asleep for the life of me. I just sit there and run through all the stuff i need to do throughout the day.

The best remedy for this is to make a list of these things, as i find it gets the thoughts out of my head, and onto paper, where they are organized and neat. This decreases the stress and constant worrying about the day. Also, i try to do things as they come, rather than have them pile up onto the next day.

And, my favorite thing to do is to tell myself, "This worrying does not benefit me in any way, it only makes me feel worse. I am going to try to calmly go back to sleep, as that is what will help me to get these things done in the most proficient way today."

Emma03

And, my favorite thing to do is to tell myself, "This worrying does not benefit me in any way, it only makes me feel worse. I am going to try to calmly go back to sleep, as that is what will help me to get these things done in the most proficient way today."

I try to do this at night. I tell myself that worrying really won't do anything and whatever is bothering me will be there whether I worry or not. Sometimes it helps me get to sleep.

I tend to be most anxious in the morning, when I first wake up. I start to think of all the things I need to do, and everything that is bothering me. I used to wake up really early on my own, but not anymore :) Probably has to do with staying up too late at night.

Jetra

Want to know the weird part? I used to be socially "normal," but after my mom's death, I put a ton of barriers between me and myself. My self-defenses were video games, school, books, television, and hoarding. I was unable to do anything myself, I was a total zombie, letting people decide for me.

Recently, I decided it wasn't healthy to barricade within myself. Little by little I've removed my barriers to let my real self through. Now, I am afraid of talking to people and want everything in clean and order. ::(:

Is it possible that by removing myself, I may have made matters worse?

UnOccupied

Want to know the weird part? I used to be socially "normal," but after my mom's death, I put a ton of barriers between me and myself. My self-defenses were video games, school, books, television, and hoarding. I was unable to do anything myself, I was a total zombie, letting people decide for me.

Recently, I decided it wasn't healthy to barricade within myself. Little by little I've removed my barriers to let my real self through. Now, I am afraid of talking to people and want everything in clean and order. ::(:

Is it possible that by removing myself, I may have made matters worse?

I am very sorry to hear about your Mom, you must have been very close with her to be feeling so bad, i am so sorry. It sounds like you havn't gotten over your loss of your mother yet. And, yes, i think these things you are doing are somewhat making matters worse. They are fine things to do, but in my personal opinion, i feel that you must first work through and accept your loss. It is a big thing in life, and sometimes we need to face our biggest downers head on in order to move on. Have you seen a therapist about your loss?

Just a side note, my best friend in college recently lost his father. He was a really confident, social, basically perfect guy(a little bit of a pushover though) to begin with, but after the loss of his father, he became even more of these qualities. He viewed his loss as the worst thing in the world, and he was so close to his father. But after he died, he basically had the attitude, "i don't care what i do or say or act like to anyone, people seem to like me the way i am right now, so refuse to hold back anymore...why should i, i didn't deserve to have my father die, so why should i hold back anything i want in life."

Aussie_Lad

My mum is very similar yet does not suffer anxiety. Whenever she goes to bed at night and regardless of how good her sleep as been, she always wakes early, usually at first light. I believe it is part of our nature to get up early, but over time, we have stayed up later and slept in later.

If you feel that you are not getting enough sleep, then maybe try to go to bed earlier, otherwise just try to accept that you are an early riser. It is nothing to be ashamed about.

Kiwong

When my anxiety is bad I will lay awake in bed from about 1:00am to 4:00am. Makes it hard to get up early.

Jetra

I am very sorry to hear about your Mom, you must have been very close with her to be feeling so bad, i am so sorry. It sounds like you havn't gotten over your loss of your mother yet. And, yes, i think these things you are doing are somewhat making matters worse. They are fine things to do, but in my personal opinion, i feel that you must first work through and accept your loss. It is a big thing in life, and sometimes we need to face our biggest downers head on in order to move on. Have you seen a therapist about your loss?

Just a side note, my best friend in college recently lost his father. He was a really confident, social, basically perfect guy(a little bit of a pushover though) to begin with, but after the loss of his father, he became even more of these qualities. He viewed his loss as the worst thing in the world, and he was so close to his father. But after he died, he basically had the attitude, "i don't care what i do or say or act like to anyone, people seem to like me the way i am right now, so refuse to hold back anymore...why should i, i didn't deserve to have my father die, so why should i hold back anything i want in life."

I had that confidence, but I think it was more of a situational courage rather than a personal one. This is why:

1. I have Geek 30 year old brother who's room is more disorganized than dirty
2. I have another brother who makes me afraid of touching anything in his room with a 50m pole
3. My dad is gone most of the time

I wasn't really myself, I became what others wanted me to be. That was part of the reason I took this little trip into "discovery" only to find out my neurotic problems have gotten worse rather than suppressed.

Richey

I am the opposite, when the alarm goes off i hit the snooze button and i want to stay in bed. the thought of tottling off to the train station and commuting on an overly packed train doesnt exactly fill me with joy or inspiration. my job isn't so bad but its not that great either. personally i am more alert and interested when i have my own time which is on weekends and after work.