GAP - Girl Angst Place

singing-love

Hi everyone,
It seemed relevant that i share this with you all. A few individuals and myself have started this idea to help women in particular of all ages with any sort of problems they are having, relationship, personal, friends, etc. This is just an extension of the offer to anyone on this site that is interested, it is something really important to me and the others involved.

You probably saw this story Police hunt gang who raped 14-year-old girl in suburban Sydney park - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) or others that are similar and one of our main aims is to try and teach skills to prevent things like this happening.

But we are also here to listen and you are more the welcome to vent about anything in this thread if you like, we can try and help or just listen. :)

Anyway, i have rambled enough, please feel free to PM me if you want to talk about anything or just post on the thread, i know this is mainly aimed at women, but guys feel free :)

I will keep this updated hopefully, i will try not to be too annoying :thumbup:

MikeyC

I like the idea of this thread, but having a place where women are more welcomed than men concerns me, even though you did say men are welcome (because I'm commenting right now :bigsmile:). I hope this thread doesn't turn into another male v female battle.

You probably saw this story Police hunt gang who raped 14-year-old girl in suburban Sydney park - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) or others that are similar and one of our main aims is to try and teach skills to prevent things like this happening.
I hate this story and I want to hurt those men really, really, really bad, but also leave some for the girl so she can exact revenge. These scenarios are why women need to be careful, why women have to be firm to reject men. Then men get upset that women are all bitches, but this is why. F*ck these men and everything they stand for.

Silatuyok

I'm all for teaching skills to prevent these kinds of things from happening, but what skills could she have acquired to avoid this? I mean, aside from the obvious part about not walking through a park alone at 11pm. Perhaps that part was unavoidable, as such situations sometimes are. I mean, short of illegally carrying a handgun, what else could she have done to avoid getting gang-raped?

MikeyC

I'm all for teaching skills to prevent these kinds of things from happening, but what skills could she have acquired to avoid this? I mean, aside from the obvious part about not walking through a park alone at 11pm. Perhaps that part was unavoidable, as such situations sometimes are. I mean, short of illegally carrying a handgun, what else could she have done to avoid getting gang-raped?
There's nothing she could've done. Those men need to be caught and heavily prosecuted.

Odo

Banned
These scenarios are why women need to be careful, why women have to be firm to reject men. Then men get upset that women are all bitches, but this is why. F*ck these men and everything they stand for.

Well, the policemen are also men.

singing-love

This is female and male friendly no battles of the sexes please.:eek:

You are right in this case there wasn't anything she could have done but there are other stories where something such as self defence could have helped, i'm not saying we have all the answers, no one does, but, we are going to do our best to help as many people as we can on a broad range of subjects.

So far a facebook and tumblr page has been developed to spread the word further, it's not much but it is a start. :)

"Small steps make progress"

MikeyC

You are right in this case there wasn't anything she could have done but there are other stories where something such as self defence could have helped, i'm not saying we have all the answers, no one does, but, we are going to do our best to help as many people as we can on a broad range of subjects.

So far a facebook and tumblr page has been developed to spread the word further, it's not much but it is a start. :)

"Small steps make progress"
So you've actually started a group for women to talk about issues? That's cool, actually. I didn't know you had extended it beyond this thread. I hope it catches on and women can have a safe place to discuss things. How very thoughtful of you to begin such a thing. :)

I got a little fired up before because rape is the worst thing imaginable to me. The emotional and psychological trauma lasts a lifetime. If I could eliminate one bad thing, it wouldn't be murder or nuclear bombs - it would be rape.

singing-love

So you've actually started a group for women to talk about issues? That's cool, actually. I didn't know you had extended it beyond this thread. I hope it catches on and women can have a safe place to discuss things. How very thoughtful of you to begin such a thing. :)

I got a little fired up before because rape is the worst thing imaginable to me. The emotional and psychological trauma lasts a lifetime. If I could eliminate one bad thing, it wouldn't be murder or nuclear bombs - it would be rape.

Yes i have (with help). I agree rape is dreadful, it shouldn't exist.

MikeyC

The solution lies also with men, I signed this pledge, and donated. I wanted to do something after reading about the Lisa Harnum and also the Jill Meagher cases. Not to mention the child abuse revealed at the recent Royal Commission.

White Ribbon - Australia's Campaign to Stop Violence Against Women

Simon Gittany jailed for 18 years for killing Lisa Harnum
White Ribbon Day is awesome and I wore it back in November, but it's not enough. I agree that the solution lies with men - in fact, most of the solution - so more education and more awareness is needed.

I would also like to point out that, like, 95% or more of men would never be violent against a woman, so I don't want to put the fear into women that all men are going to go apeshit. It's just the few that ruin it for everyone.

singing-love

White Ribbon Day is awesome and I wore it back in November, but it's not enough. I agree that the solution lies with men - in fact, most of the solution - so more education and more awareness is needed.

I would also like to point out that, like, 95% or more of men would never be violent against a woman, so I don't want to put the fear into women that all men are going to go apeshit. It's just the few that ruin it for everyone.

Very true it's only a small percentage. White ribbon day is amazing i support every year. Men should get involved i agree, they are a part of the solution. A man came up with this idea actually, it's fantastic, i can't take all the credit :)

This isn't just about rape or violence though, it's for any problem, for example relationship advice.

singing-love

I Got Flowers Today
(Dedicated to Battered Women)

I got flowers today!
It wasn't my birthday or any other special day.
We had our first argument last night;
And he said a lot of cruel things that really hurt;
I know that he is sorry and didn’t mean to say the things he said;
Because he sent me flowers today.

I got flowers today.
It wasn't our anniversary or any other special day.
Last night, he threw me into a wall and started to choke me.
It seemed like a nightmare.
I couldn't believe that it was real.
I woke up this morning sore and bruised all over.
I know he must be sorry.

I got flowers today!
It wasn’t our anniversary or any other special day;
Last night he threw me into a wall and then started choking me;
It seemed unreal, a nightmare, but you wake up from nightmares;
And I woke up this morning sore and bruised all over—but I know he is sorry;

I got flowers today!
And it wasn’t Valentines Day or any other special day;
Last night he beat me and threatened to kill me;
Make-up and long sleeves didn’t hide the cuts and bruises this time;
I couldn’t go to work today because I didn’t want anyone to know—but I know he’s sorry;

I got flowers today!
And it wasn’t Mother’s Day or any other special day;
Last night he beat me again, and it was worse than all of the other times;
If I leave him, what will I do? How will I take care of the kids? What about money?
I’m afraid of him, but I’m too scared and dependent to leave him! But he must be sorry;

I got flowers today….
Today was a special day—it was the day of my funeral;
Last night he killed me;
If only I would have gathered the courage and strength to leave him;
I could have received help from the Women’s Shelter, but I didn’t ask for their help;
So I got flowers today—for the last time.

Please speak up! There's always another option, never accept an abusive relationship.

MikeyC

Very true it's only a small percentage. White ribbon day is amazing i support every year. Men should get involved i agree, they are a part of the solution. A man came up with this idea actually, it's fantastic, i can't take all the credit :)

This isn't just about rape or violence though, it's for any problem, for example relationship advice.
Yeah, I think White Ribbon Day is a catch-all for problems that women go through, but its main focus is domestic and sexual violence. The fact that a man came up with White Ribbon Day (I didn't know that) makes it even better. :)

I Got Flowers Today
(Dedicated to Battered Women)
Powerful poem.

chatterbox71

I think it's wonderful you've created this thread. THANK YOU!

I'll post something about me--and it IS about relationships, but not with men: I have such a downer of a relationship with my mother, pretty much ever since I became an adult. I think it's one of those misery-loves-company kinda deals, where her life didn't turn out as she hoped and now is this "model" of negativity that just sucks the life out of anyone she's around. I'm all she has, so I can't cut her out of my life but I do try to keep our contact limited and brief for my own well-being, but . . . I'm just so sick of cringing even when checking e-mail. It's amazing what a few words of hers can do to me. I like the idea of "not giving away my power to her"--but let's be honest: Sometimes that is easier said than done, and people can say things that really hurt, no matter how ridiculous or illogical the words are.

I am taking a human sexuality course right now, and it was so amazing to me to learn that much of female "circumcision" (genital mutilation) persists because MOTHERS (and other female relatives, I'm guessing) are insistent on having it carried out! This of course is major compared to what I'm going through with my mother, but . . . it's just heartbreaking for me to think of the person who is supposed to look out for you and protect you can often turn on you, no matter how that might manifest itself.

So: tonight I just am asking for a few kind words of reassurance is all. I'm in therapy and working on this matter, but . . . I could really use a virtual hug or two and some feel-good encouragement. Thank you! (Please no snarky or mean comments; I get enough of those from my mother!)

singing-love

I think it's wonderful you've created this thread. THANK YOU!

I'll post something about me--and it IS about relationships, but not with men: I have such a downer of a relationship with my mother, pretty much ever since I became an adult. I think it's one of those misery-loves-company kinda deals, where her life didn't turn out as she hoped and now is this "model" of negativity that just sucks the life out of anyone she's around. I'm all she has, so I can't cut her out of my life but I do try to keep our contact limited and brief for my own well-being, but . . . I'm just so sick of cringing even when checking e-mail. It's amazing what a few words of hers can do to me. I like the idea of "not giving away my power to her"--but let's be honest: Sometimes that is easier said than done, and people can say things that really hurt, no matter how ridiculous or illogical the words are.

I am taking a human sexuality course right now, and it was so amazing to me to learn that much of female "circumcision" (genital mutilation) persists because MOTHERS (and other female relatives, I'm guessing) are insistent on having it carried out! This of course is major compared to what I'm going through with my mother, but . . . it's just heartbreaking for me to think of the person who is supposed to look out for you and protect you can often turn on you, no matter how that might manifest itself.

So: tonight I just am asking for a few kind words of reassurance is all. I'm in therapy and working on this matter, but . . . I could really use a virtual hug or two and some feel-good encouragement. Thank you! (Please no snarky or mean comments; I get enough of those from my mother!)

Hi! Thankyou so much for sharing with me, i know how you feel in this circumstance, my mother and i don't particularly get along (we never have) so i can understand where you are coming from. There will be no negative words or insults here, i'm here for support, advice and to be someone to listen when you need it. If you want to talk to me at any point please feel free to PM me, i will always make time to talk with you. I hope that things start to improve for you and i am so sorry you are struggling through this.

Female circumcision i have read about and the way it is done in thrid world countries turns my stomach, it is disgusting really. And cruel just plain cruel.

:praying:I hope things improve for you soon!

*Hugs* Here for you :)

chatterbox71

Thank you SO much!! I will definitely contact you personally sometime. I think it is wonderful you are doing this for others; be sure to use this thread, yourself, if you need it! We're here for you, too. Nighty-night.

MikeyC

I didn't even know human sexuality was a course you could do. In a recent thread there was discussion about circumcision, and genital mutilation in women is abhorrent. Women instigating this seems absurd, but there you go.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with your mother. I hope that can be resolved. If she's a negative person by nature, it can be hard to take her in large doses, and feelings have a way of conveying from one person to another, especially negative feelings.

I hope you accept my encouragement, even if I am a male. :giggle:

singing-love

Suicide_Speak_Reach.jpg

To anyone who is struggling with suicidal thoughts, please, i beg you reach out. Don't suffer in silence and let it control you, seek help, talk to those you trust or me, i'm here for any of you at anytime for anything. *Hugs* for everyone that needs it. Love you all :thumbup: