Frustrated about job search

recluse

All the jobs which are advertised want someone with experience, outgoing personality/good with people, good numerical skills, good telephone skills etc.

This means i have no hope of ever finding a job! How the hell am i going to ever get a job without the persona and skills they ask for? I hate the world:mad:

mmmm

Bait and switch, dude. Show your very best pollyanna face at the interview. get the job, sign the contract and by the time they realise they've made a huge mistake, it'll be too late. (insert evil laugh).

recluse

They keep complaining about people who are unemployed, that they don't want to work and so on,but when they set such high requirements what can we do?

ApRiLGeTsAngry77

Instead of searching for a job why don't you try posting your resume on a job searching site. Many employers search the posted resumes before looking at the resumes that were submitted for a particular job.

Good Luck! :)

anders055

Hey, don't get disappointed. Keep trying. Join a recruiting firm which can help you get a job. Don't worry. I too am looking for jobs. Sometimes my anxiety makes me want to postpone the appointment, but somehow i manage to go. Once i'm there, i'm fine. The anxiety goes away and I give it my best shot. Haven't got selected yet....:)

ajo86

I hate it, at the end of the day all the employers are bothered about is how well they think you would get on with other colleagues, its pathetic, they arent even bothered about how well you could do the job, what qualifications you have etc, its all about how you look and whether they like you or not.

In my last job I worked as a Legal Secretary, I didn't make it past the 3 months probationary period as they decided to get rid of me. The reason they told me they were getting rid of me was because I wasn't making an effort to get to know other colleagues. How pathetic is that. How well you communicate with other people shouldnt have anything to do with it. It really upsets me, I just hope that I am able to find a job. :(

recluse

ajo86 that's unbelieveable! As long as you get along ok with colleagues it doesn't matter, after all you are not there to make friends! 3 months is a very short time to get to know people anyway. Don't they realise that the person will be more likely to get on with their work rather than chat away and waste time like most people do?!

Lorraine Manca

I know!! there is absolutely nothing more depressing than reading job ads.All the job descriptions with the winning personality bit are crazy. Any one who has a great attitude about working for an insurance company or doing worker's comp casees or whatever it is should be commited. On a positive note, most people arent that charming so those employers are going to have to take what they can get.
I just read a job ad that read something like this:
Excellent opportunity for a student studying special education to work with autistic children. Qualifications: must be able to lift 50 pounds.
so here's the question, is it an autistic child or a box? would it be more accurate to say "must be able to lift 50 squirming pounds while being bitten?" because that is more challenging.
I laughed for hours after reading the ad.

JCS008

I really hate job searches. Been about a month and a half of hardcore searching for me and its just dragging. I'm basically at the point where I'll settle for anything that pays, just because I need it to finally end.

And does anyone hate when people ask you how much you get paid? I mean seriously, wtf.....could you be anymore rude.

WelshOne

I've been pretty lucky cause my job is at home... I've never been to an interview because of my SA.

Right now I can't even see myself with a regular job in an office or something. Strangely, the military seems a much less scary option for me (maybe because the interviews are much more open, ie. there's not just one spot available that everyone competes for.) Loads of career options to go for too, not just soldiers.

iamthenra

Job searching sucks... I've been at it since April, and around Minneapolis there isn't any employer that wants an electronic tech that has old outdated skills. I was employed at a modem company for over 16+ years. So my experience is "old school" technology, hard line modems are considered a thing of the past now. Most want candidates that have BS or Master degrees and my associates in electronics is quite simply outdated. I am thinking of changing careers, maybe nursing or something that is a bit more stable...

I'm in the same boat. Everyone is looking for superman... The situation in job market is bad these days. I'm looking for the job where there is less communication with people.

doesit

recluse what kind of job are you looking for ? Is it the sector where you have skills and you would know what you need to do ?If so then then send your cvs and wait for response because all those ads are bull**** really with the experience they ask,and,if you would be lucky enough to get interview then employer asks question how would you deal with different work situations and are you willing to learn stuff.thats the type people companies are looking for.But if you look for a job where you wouldnt be able to deal with customers or have the right skills and get upset about that then you know ;)

worrywort

yea I started job hunting a few weeks ago and it's becoming a lot harder than I thought. There are very few jobs out there at the moment, and I'm finding myself constantly having to further lower my expectations and standards.

It seems to me that my job search would be a lot easier, if I could learn to be ok with lying and faking. If I could just forget about honour and dignity and start lying more, I think I could probably squirm my way into a lot more jobs, and it may even open me up to loads of sales and marketing jobs.

but I'm not sure I can do that. I don't mind the work part. I'm perfectly happy to work hard for a living. And I don't even mind working with people these days. I can deal with that too.....but the lying part...the pretending to be enthusiastic and pretending to care about their business and the forced smiles and the quiet desperation.....I just find it all so exhausting and depressing....

btw, 2 bits of advice I've been thinking lately.....1. I'm pretty sure the requirements companies ask for in the job profiles are a stretch of what they actually expect because I've come across so many imbeciles in high positions there's no way they fit the descriptions.

and 2. there's no harm in trying.....you can always just apply to some of these bigger jobs and see what happens.....so long as you don't let it knock your confidence if you don't get the job, you may aswell just apply everywhere and see what happens.