Friends get mad when i tell them how i feel.

FlashGit

I thought that I could rely on my friends for support in this dark time of my life, but it seems that whenever I actually look to my friends for support they groan, almost like they're saying "not again", and recently they just downright say "please don't talk about that i f*cking hate it" or something similar. I thought i could get support but these people are just making me feel worse. Now all kinds of questions pop into my head. Are these people really my friends? Am i just a whiny little b*tch, or rather do i come off as one?
Are these people worth hanging on to?

twiggle

Well, a real friend should always listen and try to help. But I think the answer to your questions depend not just on how they're being right now, but how they've been in the past, too.

Have they always been this way whenever you've got things off your chest? If so, then they're not proper friends. Friendship isn't just about the good times - your friends should be there for you when you're happy AND for when you're sad.

On the other hand, have they given you advice or tried to help you out in the past? Sometimes people can grow tired of giving advice about the same things, if they feel like it's not being acted upon. Or maybe it's because they have their own problems and can't lend themselves to hear out yours. Or maybe they don't understand your problems well enough to figure why you're so down.

There could be a number of reasons why they respond to you in the way you do. I don't know if you come across as a "whiny little b" although part of me believes that even if you do then it's irrelevant because they should still want to help you out, but I also see how sometimes people may find it difficult to hear about other peoples' problems, particularly if they don't understand them in full.

Are these people really your friends? Well, it depends. I can't tell that on the basis of the information in your post, but at the very least it does seem as though they aren't fully understanding of your problems, perhaps because they're ignorant, or perhaps you mightn't have explained them enough in a way that they can understand.

I think maybe just think about the quality of the friendship they have given to you in the past as well as right now. This may give you a clearer idea for the answers to your questions. It is not beyond us to mess up some times, and having anxiety/being sensitive doesn't mean that we don't sometimes come across as insensitive to others. What I mean by this is - try looking at your friendships from a neutral point of view. What do you give them, and what do they give you? If, from that general perspective, you feel it all too one-sided, then these guys aren't your friends, and you can do better.

Last edited:

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Guys. You shouldn't call people like that "friends". Real friends don't expect you to vomit sunshine and never feel bad. They are there for you in the good and bad times. If they get annoyed because you have problems, they aren't actual friends.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

Are these people really my friends? Am i just a whiny little b*tch, or rather do i come off as one?
Are these people worth hanging on to?

No, no and no. Unless you're complaining all the time and coming off as an attention seeker I don't see how you can even consider calling these people your friends.

razzle dazzle rose

Twiggle brings up some good points in her post. It is difficult to see where your friends are coming from when they say those things to you as I don't know the whole story. Still, it must be hard hearing those responses from people you consider friends. We can seek support from people but that doesn't mean they may be willing to give it.

Section_31

Misery loves company but company doesnt always love misery :/

I definately agree with twiggle though, i dont think i could add anything she hasnt mentioned.

That said however, if someone asks me somthing and i dont think theyre going to like the response i usually tell them "i dont think you want to ask me that right now". If they persist, ill answer. And if it makes them angry well too bad, they asked. Dont complain.

ForeverTheWeirdKid

It seems self centered to groan at one in need of emotional confinement. That's the complete opposite of what a friend would do. Sometimes we need to work on ourselves before we can befriend others. It's nothing wrong with you.

Bustn Justin

I had a buddy would ignore me when I would talk about my anxiety and depression. When I bring it up he would change the subject. However when he is in pain I had to hear about it and make him feel better. I decided I had enough and ditched him.

The friends I have now are more supportive, although still feel guilty.

Foxface

Friends are always there for each other, no matter what. If you have problems, they're there to help. That's true friendship.