For those of you who choose exercise or yoga to get by

Iseesky

I feel like I don't need to take drastic measures to get through my social anxiety, so I want to try to exercise and/or do yoga to help me.

For those of you who exercise, what do you do? Do you do it everyday? How long each day?

For those of you who do yoga, what poses do you do? For how long do you stretch? Do you do it everyday? Do you exercise (run, jog, bike, walk...etc.) as well?

I'm trying to come up with a schedule for myself to help with my social anxiety. I'm in high school so I have to base it around that. Any info you have would be great! :)

worrywort

I go for a jog about twice a week. I pop down to my local park and have a half hour run around the lake. It's beautiful, I love it! The best thing about jogging is the feeling you get afterwards and for the next few days....you feel really fit and relaxed and it wakes you up!

nephatitus

i jog 20 mins non stop treadmill every morning and a few stretches sit ups, push ups, etc,

keeps me fit!

Rodox

I go cycling and Rope skipping, its so fun,but I only do it when I feel like it, dont have any schedule.

I swim because a hip problem prevents me from running for extended periods. It's great cardio and works the entire body. I don't know anything about yoga so can't comment on that.

Errordotocx

Each week I try to have two days where I do extreme cardio for one and a half to two hours. Then depending on how my week is going I try to do strength training workouts the other three or four days each week.

antipop621

I'm lazy as hell and have absolutely no self-dicipline, so I have to pay for a personal trainer to keep in shape. I've only been doing this for about 10 months now, but I have seen results. I can't say it does much for the anxiety, except when I'm there since I'm too focused on staying alive to think about anything else.

I go twice a week for an hour. 20 min of running (brutal!), then a few excercises that cover most of the main muscle groups. She makes me do a lot of arm and shoulder stuff.

DaaaBulls

Yoga is pretty cool, it's tough so if you start out and it seems hard just stick with it. Most people start out at yoga and it is very hard to learn and it gets better and better. If you have comcast cable then they have yoga lessons on their excercise section of on demand. I went to target and bought a mat for like 12 bucks and your set, plus you can do it at home until your ready to go into a class.

They say that you should try and get atleast a day of swimming in per week because it is suppose to be really good for your body. I get really self conscious when I swim because I suck at it but if you can bare with it for 20-30 minutes it feels great.

I also started up running again. Last summer I ran between 5-7 miles about 3 times per week. Running every day is probably not a great idea in my opinion because you will wear down your body really fast. Sometimes I feel like I can run everyday since I am so young but it might be doing more harm than good in the long run.

I try to either lift weights or do some sort of resistance training atleast a coupe times per week. You can do basic things like the weight machines because they are easier to use than the free weights. Try picking out an excercise for each part of the body...Chest, Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders, Upper back, Abs, Calves, and the rest of the legs. You can really get a good work out in around 30-40 minutes by just doing two sets on each of these machines. What I usually do is I go and do 3 sets of bench, in between sets I will do my back. Then I will do 2 sets of biceps and in between sets do triceps, then I will do another chest and shoulder excercise alternating between the two. Then I will do calves and an ab excercise and then a set of lunges for the rest of my legs. I am out of the gym in 30-35 minutes.

Make sure to do some sort of stretching as well. This will help so you don't get injured plus if you stretch a lot it makes you more flexible and also will give you a more longer leaner look that most people like. This is sort of what yoga is all about.

Try and give yourself atleast one day off per week so your body can rest, if you want to rest 2 or 3 days then that is fine too. It's also nice to mix it up a couple of days a week and shoot some hoops, or kick a soccor ball around, something that is more fun than just running but will give you some good cardio.

Another really overlooked excercise is the basic pushup and situp. If you do a pushup right you will work your chest, upper back, triceps, and lats and maybe some biceps aswell. Most people over look the pushup but it is one of the best workouts you can do but most people believe it is too hard for them to do. You can do 3 sets of as many reps of pushups as you can do. What I usually do is a set 50 pushups. Rest for 5 minutes then do 30-35 more. Rest and then do as many more as I can. After that you will feel it pretty good. Also try doing situps. Keep your feet flat on the ground and lay on your back with your legs bent upwards and your hands behind your head. If you can't do this then have something support your feet like put them under a couch to use as support. I don't care what any "expert" says situps are great and you will see results in just a few months.

So my schedule might look something like this:
Monday- Stretch, Run, Stretch
Tuesday- Stretch, Weights
Wednesday- Pushups and abs and stretching
Thursday- Stretch, run
Friday- shoot some hoops and light weights
Saturday- Run
Sunday- Day off

Hope this helps. Some one else brought up the point about having music. I read somewhere that people that have music while they work out are more likely to work out and also to work out harder. I know from personal experience this is true. I always save my best songs for right when I know I will want to stop and then use them as motivation to run that extra mile. Sometimes music is the only thing that gets me to want to go to the gym in the first place.

arjuna

Why don't you join a team. Soccer, Basketball,... or take up martial arts: most people are very educated and they will treat you well. That way you are interacting with people (overcoming SA), enjoying yourself and being healthy.

striker

Do yoga an hour everyday, for 3 months and see how it changes your body, brings it into balance (healthy)

jco3

Every other day I do three rounds of:

50 crunches
30 squats
32 lunges
and 20 leg lift things (I'm not sure if this is actually the name for this exercise lol)

I definitely notice a dramatic improvement about how I feel about myself when I continually to this for a few weeks. I'm starting to get back on it. In fact tonight, I will be completing my first week of staying true to this workout since mid December. yay

Perfidion

I ride my mountain bike around the neighbourhood most evenings -- once it's dark and everyone's at home watching the news and shoveling TV dinners into their mouths. It's almost winter, and the chill wind in my face is invigorating, not to mention the endorphin high you get from aerobic exercise generally. My job involves a lot of heavy lifting which keeps me pretty fit, but I also have a chin up bar I use for strength training. I've found that listening to very loud, very angry music serves as a great motivator for exercise, no matter how lethargic I'm feeling. If I don't exercise, I get all twitchy and restless.