Flying soon - any tips?

cowboyup

I will be flying to Michigan and Washington soon and I am freaking out.

I will be going to MI in a couple of weeks to visit relatives, specifically my (step) grandmother who is in ill health.

Also, I will be flying to WA in late Sept. for my sister's wedding. Yes, I know, a bit away...but nerves got me early :eek:h:

So, there are a few factors in play here with my MI trip. One, these are technically not any relatives by blood as my mom and step dad got married when I was 5 but they are all I know. Also, before my parents divorced, they used to ask for $ from the g-ma who I will be visiting. Then that 'tradition' was passed down to me asking for mom and dad. Needless to say, I am afraid there are ill-feelings towards me (as rightly there should be) and I feel awful. I imagine all these scenarios about questions flying at me from everyone and then there is the fact that my (step) aunt is a D.A. in Detroit. I know that once I get there, it won't be as bad as the scenario is in my head, but still...

And of course, the BIG issue is just getting there - flying in general terrifies me. And yes, I know the statistics - flying is the safest mode of transportation and my chances of something happening are more likely when I walk to the mailbox.

My sister's wedding is going to go OK, I have no real concern there, other than of course, the flying thing - their wedding is going to be small and relatively private so I am not so worried.

I have anti-anxiety med that I have set aside for the trips but it still freaks me out especially the MI trip because there will be people there who are going to be less than forgiving towards mine and my parents past, at least that is what I fear. Social anxiety is really amped on this one.

Any suggestions or tips to help quell my nerves re: flying and the MI trip, in specific?

*I voiced my concerns to my brother as he will will be going as well and since he's a cop, he's the 'star attraction' of the family (and that makes me feel uneasy) and he said just to be vague in any answers I give.

Alienated

If you want to get felt up.... Dress up like a Catholic school girl... I hear TSA perverts are really into that !!

When the flight attendant comes by your seat order a double scotch. Tell her to keep 'em coming. I took magazines to read in my carry on luggage, that kept me from being bored. Preferably a magazine you haven't read before. Take an ipod/MP3 player to listen to. I like a window seat at the wing of the plane myself.

MikeyC

Get to the airport early. It'll be boring but it's not like you can catch the next train. Better to be early than late! Get all the checking in and stuff done. Once you're in the airport, you'll have eatery places and gift shops that are all overpriced, but take some money and don't worry. You'll have precious little to do, so eat something you like, look at some gifts, buy a magazine for the plane. Don't rush because you'll have time.

Once boarding begins, try to get on the plane early, so all the overhead compartments aren't full. Get to your seat and prepare for boredom.

Taking off is the most amusing part of the flight. It's like a roller coaster. Once that's all over, it's like sitting in a bus for hours.

If you have money on the plane, order a drink or a light snack if you want. The flight attendants will come around periodically to do this.

If you have a smartphone and an iPod, make sure they're both fully charged and use them. Unless you want to chat to the smelly guy sitting next to you. :D

When you land, it's pandemonium with people wanting to get out and fast. If you're not bothered by that, stay in your seat until the hubbub dies down a bit. It does mean more waiting but it's not that bad.

And that's all there is to it! :thumbup:

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Get to your seat and prepare for boredom.

You think? For some reason I always like the entire flight. Tea or coffee, books and headphones and I'm happy. Probably mostly just due to the fact of being travelling, though :p But you HAVE to be sitting by the window or else you're right, it's ultimate boredom.

I really don't have any advice for the anxiety because I'm so not anxious on a plane, but if you can choose your seat, I would suggest you choose a seat by the window, for the sake of comfort and entertainment. Or by the alley if having to ask people to get up everytime you want to go to the bathroom makes you nervous. :p

I hate flying, too. My first flight was in 2003 from Chicago Midway to Boston Logan (where one of the 9/11 planes took off from, so of course I was convinced something awful was going to happen) and I was a mess. My advice: get there plenty early, bring music and/or a book or anything that will keep you distracted, remember that shaking of the plane or any kind of turbulence is absolutely normal, and if you have to, take a couple of Benadryl and fall asleep. (I'm only slightly kidding about the Benadryl.) Have fun! :)

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
You think? For some reason I always like the entire flight. Tea or coffee, books and headphones and I'm happy. Probably mostly just due to the fact of being travelling, though :p But you HAVE to be sitting by the window or else you're right, it's ultimate boredom.
Yes! I find it quite relaxing, actually. When we take off, I feel like I'm leaving the earth and all its troubles behind for a little while.

Steiner

Eat alllllll the peanuts!
x-all-the-y.png

cowboyup

Hey, thanks to you all for your advice :) I really appreciate it!

So if I got this right:

iPod - for music -Check
magazine/book - for reading -Check
benadryl - to sleep :bigsmile:
scotch - the magic elixir hehe!
get a window seat -Check
get there early -Check
dress like a catholic school girl :giggle:
Eat All the PEANUTS!! - Burp

By the sound of it, I am worrying for nothing! I probably will be like, "oh let's do it again" just like when getting on roller coaster for the first time. I was scared, then went on one, and you couldn't pull me off!

Again, many thanks to you all for your sound, and entertaining advice :D