Feeling like I'm going mental?

Englishman

I'd say the last 9 month I've been massively depressed. I haven't been on any anti-depressents, however, I have smoked cannabis to calm my anxiety and improve my moods. Recently though, I've felt a massive sense of detatchment from reality, I feel scared and axious constantly. I don't know what to do... I feel a sense of hopelessness, like my future is bleak, that I'm going to be lonley forever. I also feel like something bad is going to happen... I can't even get an erection by myself or anything. I think I'm having a breakdown? I can't be sure.

Froggy246

Smoking really doesn't help me if I'm feeling anxious or low in mood, it tends to intensify it. Maybe you should try slowing down on the smoking or having a break from it.
There's always hope for the future, nothing stays the same forever, especially states of mind. Perhaps focus on things you are passionate about for inspiration and fresh thought.
If it carries on maybe have a chat with your GP as well, they might refer you to speak to someone, like a counselor or early intervention.

coyote

self-medication, in general, is usually a bad idea, and can often lead to more problems than the ones we're trying to solve

Yes no weed will make you tempararily happy and then permanently depressed throw your buds in the bin if you can.

neardeath

No meds ever worked for me. I've been trying different ones for about 35 years now. I know, can't live with it or without it! Can totally relate, but I have no answers for you. Stay strong.

I've certainly been right where you are, in the last 2-3 years. It's hell-on-earth that's for sure. I know that my depression can possibly be caused by not taking my anti-depressents for a time (& resuming them tends to rid the depression in a day or so). You really need something right now to take the "sting" out of the depression you are in. I would recommend anti-depressants for the chemical imbalance, and meditation, positive affirmations/quotes/words, inspirational images, etc for the mental side of the equation (as i believe depression is a factor of these 2 things - bio-chemical & mental/thoughts/beliefs). What's happening is your brain is hyper-focussed on threats, of all kinds, from all places .. and these threats are being highly exaggerated in your brain/mind. You need to change that. It's hard, as one's thoughts/beliefs create reality, and changing them is not easy at all. But it can be done. Start now. Start looking into what's out there (including "alternative" or "new-age") to help you now & longer-term. I'm sure i've recently come accross some free audio-subliminal stuff to help rid depression. And there is software like iDoser (virtual drugs; better for you than actual drugs). There's all kinds of new stuff coming out (if you know where to find them). And of course there is the age-old tradition of religion.

Here is a good quote i found to start with: "Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists. Herein lies the peace of God"

MotherWolff

Banned
Maybe you need a change of environment? I had to change mine a couple of times to feel the way I do now, which is moderately happy. I do get in my bad, depressed moods from time to time though.

But I usually do something to get out of those moods. First of all, those drugs are just not the way to go. I've never had experience with recreational drugs. But I have done my fair share of research and I see nothing but negative stories about it.

All I can say is, hang in there.

Lacombe

I used to love smoking grass/hash. It definitely has it's place and I'm a big advocate of the substance. However, I don't feel it's beneficial anymore with most kinds of mental illnesses. The occasional smoke can be great but as an everyday thing I have to say no. I used to say the opposite! It wasn't till I stopped that I changed my mind. Just my 2 cents. Try and cut down and see how you get on. It may feel worse at first but that's only because the haze is clearing and the feelings underneath are coming to the surface in a more raw and tangible way. Dope isn't helping you get better, it's just making this shit more easy to accept.

SilentBird

Marijuana is a sensitizer. It may get one in touch with their emotions to start with but then emotions become too intense and depression and anxiety ensues.

Last edited:

hardy

Religion can help in dealing with these issues. I am not a religious person myself but Buddha's teachings on suffering is a great way to overcome depression. please youtube for k.dhammananda or ajahn brahm, it really helps me.

Being lonely isn't too good either i found. Wishing you lots of love.