Feeling awkward at new job

Silatuyok

Hey, the VERY short time I worked for McDonalds they put me on front counter.. Despite the fact I wasn't talking or making eye contact in the interview.. That didn't last long before I was moved to a window where speaking wasn't a major requirement.. Still needed, but not a major issue.. Until people tried to converse with me.. Other workers mocked me and a new manager I had never worked with before came in and tried to talk to me.. I couldn't talk, I just stood there staring down at my work station and he got mad because I would not acknowledge him.. I didn't have anything to write with, so I just stood there.. He started screaming at me, so I clocked out and left.. Turned my clothing in the next day and picked up my cheque (All like ten or so dollars.. Minimum wage jobs suck! And that one was by far NOT worth it)

Ugh, that sounds awful. I think perhaps McDonald's is not the best fit for employment for you. Perhaps there are jobs out there that would be great for you..

MikeyC

Hey, the VERY short time I worked for McDonalds they put me on front counter.. Despite the fact I wasn't talking or making eye contact in the interview.. That didn't last long before I was moved to a window where speaking wasn't a major requirement.. Still needed, but not a major issue.. Until people tried to converse with me.. Other workers mocked me and a new manager I had never worked with before came in and tried to talk to me.. I couldn't talk, I just stood there staring down at my work station and he got mad because I would not acknowledge him.. I didn't have anything to write with, so I just stood there.. He started screaming at me, so I clocked out and left.. Turned my clothing in the next day and picked up my cheque (All like ten or so dollars.. Minimum wage jobs suck! And that one was by far NOT worth it)
McDonald's employees are some of the hardest workers and lowest paid around. The scales are not tipped favourably there.

Roman Legion

McDonald's employees are some of the hardest workers and lowest paid around. The scales are not tipped favourably there.

The customers didn't help the learning of the job, plus I just stood there until the manager came and moved me off the counter..

MikeyC

The customers didn't help the learning of the job, plus I just stood there until the manager came and moved me off the counter..
Sounds like it just wasn't for you. Hopefully you can find something a little more relaxing in the future.

Roman Legion

Sounds like it just wasn't for you. Hopefully you can find something a little more relaxing in the future.

I can't even find a job right now, let alone one I can work around my social anxiety.. ::(: I'm going to probably go back to school for the nth time, hopefully find a major I can stick with and does not require group work.. My first major was Anthropology.. I didn't show up for class after the implemented both assigned seating and more group activity.. I doubt I will ever find a job.. ::(:

MikeyC

I can't even find a job right now, let alone one I can work around my social anxiety.. ::(: I'm going to probably go back to school for the nth time, hopefully find a major I can stick with and does not require group work.. My first major was Anthropology.. I didn't show up for class after the implemented both assigned seating and more group activity.. I doubt I will ever find a job.. ::(:
Sounds like you need some therapy to help you combat your anxiety towards everything. It would certainly help you get a job and get some education under your belt. I wish you luck for your next attempt. :)

Roman Legion

Sounds like you need some therapy to help you combat your anxiety towards everything. It would certainly help you get a job and get some education under your belt. I wish you luck for your next attempt. :)

If only I could afford therapy.. I need therapy for my knees, but can't afford that either.. How can I explain it to my school so they understand?

MikeyC

If only I could afford therapy.. I need therapy for my knees, but can't afford that either.. How can I explain it to my school so they understand?
About your mental anxiety or your knees? Well, I suppose either way is just telling them the truth and hopefully they'll understand. There's no other way and the truth will be good because they'll know exactly where you stand with things.

Roman Legion

About your mental anxiety or your knees? Well, I suppose either way is just telling them the truth and hopefully they'll understand. There's no other way and the truth will be good because they'll know exactly where you stand with things.

One of my worries is since I don't have a medical diagnosis if I have something else and am wrong about what I currently believe I have (I'm very certain, I would stake my life on it) Could I get into trouble? No, on both knees and mental I can't afford therapy for either.. I lack medical coverage at all.. Even dental.. Just have to hope for the best.. ::(:

polishgirl

I've found myself in a new environment, too. The only advice I could give you, don't be harsh on yourself if you do not fit right away, it requires time :) Be friendly and soon enough, you will feel better around your co-workers :)

MikeyC

One of my worries is since I don't have a medical diagnosis if I have something else and am wrong about what I currently believe I have (I'm very certain, I would stake my life on it) Could I get into trouble? No, on both knees and mental I can't afford therapy for either.. I lack medical coverage at all.. Even dental.. Just have to hope for the best.. ::(:
Sometimes you just know. If you hope for the best, hopefully the best occurs.

Roman Legion

Sometimes you just know. If you hope for the best, hopefully the best occurs.

I'm kind of a pessimist/ realist.. With emphasis on the pessimist part.. I have learned from experience that optimism is a lie; a big lie to myself.. Nothing works the way it should, nothing happens the way I want it; I just try accept that everything pretty much sucks..

MikeyC

I'm kind of a pessimist/ realist.. With emphasis on the pessimist part.. I have learned from experience that optimism is a lie; a big lie to myself.. Nothing works the way it should, nothing happens the way I want it; I just try accept that everything pretty much sucks..
I'm sorry that you feel that way but I am also a realist/pessimist, but these are thought patterns that we both need to change somehow.

Anyway, this is getting off-topic from the thread, so I'll end it here.

Roman Legion

I'm sorry that you feel that way but I am also a realist/pessimist, but these are thought patterns that we both need to change somehow.

Anyway, this is getting off-topic from the thread, so I'll end it here.

I doubt I can change who I am.. Agreed, need to get back on topic.. Sorry OP!