Fed up with childish people

Lavira

I have to write this down, maybe it makes me feel a little better and less frusrated. I have moved to th UK to study at a University. This could only happen with the help of some medication as otherwise I would've never been able to move away. I just finished my first semester which was surprisingly good, I never thought it could be so good. I came home for the holidays but obviously something had to happen before so that I can be stressed about returning after the break. I live in student accomodation, sharing a flat with 4 others. It was fine until the last week. There were some problems with noise but that's fine it's normal. The last week I had an exam and someone from my flat (accompanied by friends) were screaming, laughing and just being ridiculously loud at around midnight so I got a bit frustrated and opened my door and said: "Seriously, stop this." I haven't said anything else, it wasn't even that rude. Then as I was sitting in my room I hear that they don't stop, and knock on my door then run away... very funny. When I opened my door, after they left, I see a happy birthday sign on my door and a sanitary pad attached to it as a gift. Next day, the day before my exam, again they come just after I went to bed, shouting... so I guessed they are doing it on purpose, and I unlocked my door, as they heard that they ran into my fatmate's room and locked themselves... pathetic... I had to talk to the door, asking them to stop as I have an exam the next day... My boyfriend wrote to them to stop doing this, and my flatmate answered that this is the way she has fun at the University and if I have an exam then I should go to the library as that's quiet...Since then I haven't met them but I got a few snowballs on my window and they are talking about me on facebook... Why are some people so childish?? Now I'm at home and returning on the 9th. I feel really bad, I have to spend another 5 months living there, with exams and everything. It was so hard for me to move out with my social phobia, and now they are ruining everything. Why?? Why is it impossible to talk with some people? How can they still be so pathetic? Naively I thought that "adults" are not like school kids, bulling and annoying others for fun. But I guess I was wrong, people are just plain ignorant, selfish and stupid.

Luke1993

First of all where are you from? Some British do hate the foreigners, as they're taking a lot of our jobs nowadays (I'm not racist or anything).

Anyway you never know they could be very stressed and just letting off some steam. There's nothing wrong with having a bit of fun now and then. Maybe you should join them someday.

Last edited:

davidburke

omg i the same thing happen to me and it was like that all the time for me. I lived in a flat with 5 others and they were partying and drinking all the time most nights they were still shouting and screaming at 5 o clock in the morning and sometimes till 7 o clock I never got any sleep and i often found vomit somewhere in the house. I know how its even difficult to move i put up with it for like 3 months. It really sucks!

Is there anything like an accommodation department in your college? they might be able to help you

mads

Well there is a reason people go to university and that is to learn. I am quite sure that if they dont start to get their teenage attitudes out, they will quickly fail their classes. Of course it is ok to have fun but in an excam period one should respect to be quiet. That is simply normal good manners.

recluse

I think that most students are this way to be honest. As soon as they are away from home they become like wild animals.

davidburke

yea they can be a teenager and have there fun but not in college. Most people i know go to college for that reason alone its ridiculous. Of all the things what a waste of resources to send thousands of students with state funded grants to go "to college" and never attend and then fail or drop out

Last edited:

mads

yea they can be a teenager and have there fun but not in college. Most people i know go to college for that reason alone its ridiculous. Of all the things what a waste of resources to send thousands of students with state funded grants to go "to college" and never attend and then fail or drop out

My aunt is a student counseler and teacher at a nurse school and if the students are not prepared for the excams, well then they will just fail. For instance if they have not prepared, she sometimes ask the class. The ones of you who have not got a clue in what we are talking about, please leave class and I will have a meeting with you regarding your future in the school and that really helps.

Yeah, this is pretty typical first-year college student behaviour. Here in this university it is anyways, they get away from home and some of them just turn into complete wild animals with no respect for anyone. I am so glad I didn't have to live in student accomodation for my first year of college, it's like a zoo there! It will be better next year, after their immature phase they settle down (I'm in my fifth year so I have some experience :) ), but that's no good for the next few months you have to tolerate!

Maybe over the christmas it might cool off since you'll all be away from the university? I think that you should wait, and then if after the first few weeks of uni it starts up again, maybe go to your college's accommodation? Hopefully they can sort something out for you!

Also, well done on moving away to college! I'm hoping to do that in a year or two for a postgrad so you're an inspiration :)

Aww I know how you feel. When I went to my first military technical school after bootcamp most of the guys were like this in the barracks. I couldn't study, sleep, or leave my room without being bombarded with that kind of thing. Just tell yourself it'll get better and you're doing this for you and your education. Screw them.

Lavira

Thanks for the replies, it makes me feel a bit better. I don't think that I am too intolerant as I listened to them for 3 months without saying anything, but at my exam period I got fed up with it. My plan is to buy some headphones that block out noise, so at least I can sleep and at other times just ignore them. It is hard though, especially because of the social phobia, I can't stand if people make fun of me, and the worst is that it happens at 'home' where I should feel good and comfortable. I have my own friends who are not like idiot teenagers, but it's hard to go home and tolerate all these other people who are complitely ignorant of the fact that they are not living alone but with other people so they should compromise. If it doesn't stop I'm planning to go to the accomodation office, as they shouldn't actually make noise after 10pm.... but I fear that it will only get worse if I report them as then they'll only hate me more. :(
Can't wait for next year, I'm moving out with some friends!
But I know that if I will make it I'll be proud of myself so I have to stay and live with it :)
If I moved out and started Uni at a different country some stupid kids won't stop me :)

(sorry this may not interest anyone but it's good to write it down and make myself believe that I can do it)