Favorite bands

chris420

Generical said:
A Tribe Called Quest, Jungle Brothers, De La Soul, Mos Def, Talib, Gang Starr, LONS, LOTUG, Jeru, One Be Lo (Binary Star), The Roots, Little Brother, Common, Braintax, Eric B & Rakim, Pete & CL, Last Emp, Krs one, Big L, Hieroglyphics, Da Grassroots, ADL etc...

Deathcab, Dntel, Postal Service, Boards of Canada, Aphex, Shpongle, Phutureprimitive, Proem, Prefuse 73, The Flashbulb, Venetian, Spor, Squarepusher, Blacksun Emp, Noisia, Silent Witness, The Black Keys, Bonobo, Massive Attack, Ulrich Schnauss, DZihan & Kamien, Peace Orchestra, RATM, Dj Shadow, RJD2, The Rapture, Moving Units...

Nice. Do you listen to BBC 6music?...lots of great music usually on there especially the Freak Zone on Sundays...

New ppls I like: MGMT, Yeasayer, Neon Neon, Duke spirit, Sista M, I Concur, Those Dancing Days, Jim Noir, Lionheart Brothers, Holy F***

Iseesky

I like chill music:

The Postal Service
The Decemberists
The Beatles
ELO
Elton John
Arctic Monkeys
The Hoosiers
Something Corporate
Owl City
Cat Stevens
Joni Mitchell
Herman's Hermits
Coldplay
City and Colour
Ben Lee
Jefferson Airplane
Lifehouse
Sarah Mclachlan
The Kinks
The Who
The Everly Brothers
Vanessa Carlton

Cheesey (or not) songs that always make me feel better:

Summer Sunshine by The Corrs
She's so High by Tal Bachman
There She Goes by The La's
Affirmation by Savage Garden
Bring it all Back by S-Club 7 (don't judge :p )
JCB by Nizlopi
Calendar Girl by Neil Sedaka
This is for Real by Motion City Soundtrack
Boyz by MIA

lifes_to_long

hello I like mainly accoustic guitarists
and anything that makes you think:

the libertines
babyshambles
muse
leonard cohen
damien rice
beach boys

I'm kinda picky when it comes to music.

blonderedhead

Oh gosh! Where to begin.... great topic by the way....
The Beatles, The Velvet Underground, Simon & Garfunkel, The Shangri-Las, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Joni Mitchell, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Cat Stevens, Van Morrison, The Animals, Three Dog Night, The Who, Buffalo Springfield, Santana, Vasco Rossi, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Muse, Radiohead, Coldplay, U2, R.E.M., Nirvana, Blonde Redhead, The Knife, The Shins, Nouvelle Vague, Sylvie Vartan, Francoise Hardy, Yann Tiersen.

Generical

chris420 said:
Do you listen to BBC 6music?...lots of great music usually on there especially the Freak Zone on Sundays...

Nope, i'll check it out though, wish i could get DAB round here....but yeah i'll just go on teh site.

sketchy24

I really don't have THAT many. I have a few I REALLY like but I really don't buy much and usually when I get hooked on an artist, I buy ALL their stuff before moving on to someone else.

Anyway, all time favorite band:
Blind Guardian

Second favorite:
Nightwish

Others I really like:
Sonata Arctica
Demons and Wizards
Within Temptation
Sirenia
Slechtvalk
Helloween
Hammerfall
Epica
Kamelot
Tristania
Theatre of Tragedy
Symphony X
Stratovarius
Vision Divine

Sure there are others I'm missing too. But thats some of them. Generally any power, symphonic, or melodic metal and some melodic death metal.

Ken

Some of my favorites are:

metallica
megadeth
nightwish
disturbed
linkin park
alterbridge

princess_haru

Opeth
Placebo
The Velvet Underground
Pixies
Kate Bush
Radiohead
Nirvana
Smashing Pumpkins
Nick Drake
PJ Harvey
Nine Inch Nails
David Bowie
The Sisters of Mercy
Siouxsie and the Banshees
My Bloody Valentine
Bob Dylan
Cradle of Filth
Nile
Emperor
Type O Negative
Corpus Delicti
Bauhaus
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds
Iggy and The Stooges

...I could go on forever and bore you all lol. Music is a beautiful thing.

ghost_train

princess, you're only the second person I've ever known to be a fan of my bloody valentine! this is one small step for musical justice, one giant leap for... something else

princess_haru

ghost_train said:
princess, you're only the second person I've ever known to be a fan of my bloody valentine! this is one small step for musical justice, one giant leap for... something else

Loveless is a beautiful album, nice to meet a fellow MBV fan.

I've yet to meet another Corpus Delicti fan though *sigh*

PS please call me Haru, I feel a bit like a chihuahua when I'm called Princess, lol! Really should've thought my username through a little longer... :wink:

MotherWolff

Banned
Sometimes I like to listen to music because it passes the time, it sounds cool, and it helps me to barely stay connected with reality. Listening to music that aren't from videogames is new to me because in my past I was forbidden to listen to 'secular' music. I'm no musical know-it-all and I'm no fanatic of the music I listen to. But enough about that, here's some of the groups/artists I like:
-Coheed and Cambria(my favorite modern-day progressive rock band)
-All That Remains(this group's lyrics are a bit hard for me to understand because they scream so much)
-Motorhead
-Green Jelly(these guys aren't too popular I think)
-Lordi(sort of reminds me of GWAR)
-GWAR(very silly heavy metal band)
-KISS
-Megadeth( I think Hangar 18 is their best song)
-Alice In Chains(Them Bones is my favorite Alice In Chains song)
-Men At Work(my favorite 80s rock/reggae band)
-Twisted Sister(my second favorite 80s rock band)
-Duran Duran(my third favorite 80s rock/pop band)
-Michael Jackson(the best singer ever in my book)
-Freeze Pop
-Armand Van Helden
-Sean Paul
and there's probably a bit more I could add to my list of artists but that's all I could think of at the moment. So basically I listen to a variety of rock music,pop,a little techno,and reggae-funk. I even enjoy the tunes of gospel music(sometimes) in a way. Only reason I find myself not listening to it too much is because of the whole religious content of it all that I just can't except anymore.

I noticed that quite a few people here listen to nirvana and smashing pumpkins. Maybe I'll start listening to them too.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
princess_haru said:
Opeth
Placebo
The Velvet Underground
Pixies
Kate Bush
Radiohead
Nirvana
Smashing Pumpkins
Nick Drake
PJ Harvey
Nine Inch Nails
David Bowie
The Sisters of Mercy
Siouxsie and the Banshees
My Bloody Valentine
Bob Dylan
Cradle of Filth
Nile
Emperor
Type O Negative
Corpus Delicti
Bauhaus
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds
Iggy and The Stooges

...I could go on forever and bore you all lol. Music is a beautiful thing.

Opeth - I'm just starting to get into their music, I got one of their albums the other day, Ghost Reveries, they're amazing. I like most of those bands you mentioned, princess_haru. I also like Biffy Clyro, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Mogwai, Idlewild, Rage Against the Machine, Weezer, Porcupine Tree, Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd... and many other bands (too many to list here cos I'd be here all day, lol)

princess_haru

MotherWolff said:
I noticed that quite a few people here listen to nirvana and smashing pumpkins. Maybe I'll start listening to them too.

The Pumpkins' first album Gish is amazing, so full of energy! I'd also highly recommend Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie. As for Nirvana, most people start with Nevermind, but Bleach and In Utero are great albums too. My favourite for quiet, introspective moments is their MTV Unplugged album though, it has a chillingly beautiful version of David Bowie's The Man Who Sold The World.

Graeme6630 said:
Opeth - I'm just starting to get into their music, I got one of their albums the other day, Ghost Reveries, they're amazing. I like most of those bands you mentioned, princess_haru. I also like Biffy Clyro, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Mogwai, Idlewild, Rage Against the Machine, Weezer, Porcupine Tree, Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd... and many other bands (too many to list here cos I'd be here all day, lol)

Hey Graeme, yeah I like a bit of Maiden, RATM, Metallica and Pink Floyd too, hehe we really do have similar taste! While I'm in recommendation mode, have you heard Opeth's Blackwater Park? It's stunning! :)

Quetzalcoatl

Opeth
Arsis
Necrophagist
Nile
Origin
Death
Cephalic Carnage
Jason Becker
Yngwie Malmsteen
Steve Vai
Coroner
Wintersun
At the Drive - In
The Mars Volta

Alot of those bands are really technical, progressive death metal bands what at first blush would be discarded as trash, but I find them to be very talented musicians whos music is passionate, intense and quite beautiful. Yeah!

MotherWolff

Banned
zeroday said:
heres a documentary on nick drake. apparently he suffered from social anxiety and depression.

Wow, that really is something; even celebrities can suffer from such things. I guess everyone in the whole wide world has problems no matter what their social status is. I didn't actually watch the documentary yet since its about 1 in the morning where I'm at, so I'm pretty sleepy(well, not really). I'll have to check that one out tomorrow or something.

princess_haru said:
The Pumpkins' first album Gish is amazing, so full of energy! I'd also highly recommend Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie. As for Nirvana, most people start with Nevermind, but Bleach and In Utero are great albums too. My favourite for quiet, introspective moments is their MTV Unplugged album though, it has a chillingly beautiful version of David Bowie's The Man Who Sold The World.

Hello princess_haru! Yes, I could use some serious musical recommendations. I mean, everyone here would probably be surprised at how very little I know about music. In fact, I didn't really start listening to it until the release of Guitar Hero 2(I love those Guitar Heroes!) and that was only 2 years ago. I thought some of the music in that game sounded sweet so I figured that I should listen to more stuff like that. So yeah I'm curious to see what music folks here listen to.

Btw, princess_haru, what do you think about Iron Maiden? I only heard their songs like once or twice.

Quetzalcoatl said:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:05 am Post subject:
Opeth
Arsis
Necrophagist
Nile
Origin
Death
Cephalic Carnage
Jason Becker
Yngwie Malmsteen
Steve Vai
Coroner
Wintersun
At the Drive - In
The Mars Volta

Alot of those bands are really technical, progressive death metal bands what at first blush would be discarded as trash, but I find them to be very talented musicians whos music is passionate, intense and quite beautiful. Yeah!

Thanks for making this thread Quetzalcoatl. It gets my mind off of my numerous social disorders.

Anyways, I remember looking up a good list of death metal bands on wikipedia and that was where I read about Nile. Wikipedia states that Nile's lyrics are often about Egyptology and other ancient Middle Eastern cultures such as Mesopotamia;something I'd like to study about myself. And that's what actually motivated me to listen to them one day. Nile is extremely intense indeed, hard on my ears, and difficult for me to understand. Is it easy for you to understand Nile's lyrics? I guess that's how death metal is suppose to be; intense.