European Movies?

Buda

Thanks for your list Kihira. Really didn't know Tom Tykwer director. I'll put RUN LOLA RUN on my list.

Flanscho

The most important thing about non-american movies is: don't watch the american remake! Those remakes are like... as if you see a beautiful foreign woman, and then some american comes around, butchers her to pieces and glues her back together. It will never be as great as the original.

European movies I like:

Amelie is a german/french production, and very good about a dreamy young woman
Amelie trailer - YouTube

Trol Hunter is an awesome norwegian pseudo documentary about people searching trolls
Troll Hunter - Official Trailer [HD] - YouTube

Man Bites Dog is a french somewhat brutal pseudo documentary about a murderer
Criterion Trailer 165: Man Bites Dog - YouTube

Flickering lights is a danish action comedy, and very funny. I have seen a number of films by that regisseur and enjoyed all of them.
Flickering Lights - Egg blowing - YouTube

Monty Python sketches and films I love too :)
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life Trailer - YouTube

Raichel

Danish, Swedish and French cinema are the best! All three countries are well known for putting out high quality art house films.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
There's so many good european movies that I don't know where to begin :thinking:
Run Lola run and Amelie are both excellent movies, and here's a little list of what I can think of at the moment:

Das Experiment (Germany)
Wild bill (united kingdom)
13 Tzameti (France)
La Haine (France)
L'auberge espagnol (France)
Shallow grave (United Kingdom)
Trainspotting (United Kingdom)
El laberinto del fauno (Spain-Mexico)
REC (Spain)
Let the right one in (Sweden)
Das boat (Germany)
Todo sobre mi madre (Spain)

I think I could go on for ages. Most of my favorite movies are european, now that I think about it.

You can also find tons and tons of amazing movies among other countries, not only Europe. Mexico, Japan, Korea, Australia, among others, has created some great stuff

Last edited:

Nanita

Some of my favorite european movies

"Bread and Tulips" (Italy, 2000)

"101 Reykjavik" (Iceland, 2000)

"A somewhat gentle man" (Norway, 2010)

"Nightwatch" (Denmark, 1994) This one is amazing. And of course better than the american remake.

"Soul Kitchen" (Germany, 2009)

"Talk to her" (Spain, 2002)

"The dreamlife of angels" (France, 1998)

"Betty Blue" (France, 1986)

"Mina Tannenbaum" (France, 1994)

"La vie en rose" (France, 2007)

"My afternoons with Margueritte" (France, 2010)

The most important thing about non-american movies is: don't watch the american remake! Those remakes are like... as if you see a beautiful foreign woman, and then some american comes around, butchers her to pieces and glues her back together. It will never be as great as the original.

Dude, don't be hatin' on 'muricans!!!!!!!1!!!1

Nah, I agree with you. I really hate American remakes of foreign films and rarely watch them.

I also hate when Americans try to take great novels and turn them into crappy cookie-cutter productions that were clearly thrown together and hyped only to make a profit, rather than a cinematic work of art that mirrors the greatness of the novel itself. There are too many examples to name all of them, but I am currently rereading the His Dark Materials trilogy (The Golden Compass is the first book), and I've heard the movie was terrible. I saw the trailer and screenshots and it looks like they changed a lot of it.

The first book in the Hunger Games trilogy wasn't spectacular but the movie was even worse, dear lord. I don't see why everyone went nuts, what an awful cinematic rendition :eek:h: