embarassed myself last class

LazyHermitCrab

In poetry class, it was time to workshop my poem, and it was one of my worst. :( People wrote comments on it like, "it has no feeling" because when I share my poems I can't put feeling in it, because it makes me feel awkward. Now it just made it worse, and I don't want to go to class again, but luckily only two more classes to go. Has this happened to anyone before too? :(

jaim38

I took a nursing assistant course many years ago and the instructor asked us to perform for the class. She called on me to assist another student, who played the patient. I was supposed to talk to the patient while lifting her with a belt and stuff - which I did. After that, she asked for criticism of my behavior. Someone said my social/verbal skills were kinda poor, that I should make more eye contact, etc. I was angry and embarassed, like "how dare you criticize me so negatively!" I also remember another instructor saying I was too rough when using the belt, and she didn't like the way I made eye contact. Obviously, nursing is NOT for me.

LazyHermitCrab

I took a nursing assistant course many years ago and the instructor asked us to perform for the class. She called on me to assist another student, who played the patient. I was supposed to talk to the patient while lifting her with a belt and stuff - which I did. After that, she asked for criticism of my behavior. Someone said my social/verbal skills were kinda poor, that I should make more eye contact, etc. I was angry and embarassed, like "how dare you criticize me so negatively!" I also remember another instructor saying I was too rough when using the belt, and she didn't like the way I made eye contact. Obviously, nursing is NOT for me.

The instructor said nursing is not for you? Yeah that'd really ps me off too x.x

jaim38

The instructor said nursing is not for you? Yeah that'd really ps me off too x.x

The instructor didn't say that. I came to the conclusion that nursing is not for me. There were so many warning signs. I couldn't connect with the patients many times.

theoutsider

In poetry class, it was time to workshop my poem, and it was one of my worst. :( People wrote comments on it like, "it has no feeling" because when I share my poems I can't put feeling in it, because it makes me feel awkward. Now it just made it worse, and I don't want to go to class again, but luckily only two more classes to go. Has this happened to anyone before too? :(

I think you're being too hard on yourself. There's nothing embarrassing about writing a poem that other's criticize. I'm a creative writer, myself and I know it can be difficult sharing your innermost feelings/imaginings with strangers for fear of rejection. But constructive criticism is a part of the process. Don't let it bother you to the point you don't want to go back.

sahxox

Ooh that's harsh. I bet that if circumstances were different, i.e. you were not under the pressure of being judged or it was a genuine patient, things may have gone better. I find I either epically fail at those situations or excel... two extremes... so if I was judged on a bad day and recieved feedback like that, I see it could easily put someone off the whole course permanantly...:/

just a little example... first secret customer service test got 100%, "Happy friendly warm" employee, very next test get 40% "looked like she didn't want to be there" "unfriendly" "cold" hahaha

LazyHermitCrab

I think you're being too hard on yourself. There's nothing embarrassing about writing a poem that other's criticize. I'm a creative writer, myself and I know it can be difficult sharing your innermost feelings/imaginings with strangers for fear of rejection. But constructive criticism is a part of the process. Don't let it bother you to the point you don't want to go back.

Thanks. :)

LazyHermitCrab

The instructor didn't say that. I came to the conclusion that nursing is not for me. There were so many warning signs. I couldn't connect with the patients many times.

Oh, gotcha. Anyway that does like it was stressful and I hope you found a better path :)

jaim38

Ooh that's harsh. I bet that if circumstances were different, i.e. you were not under the pressure of being judged or it was a genuine patient, things may have gone better. I find I either epically fail at those situations or excel... two extremes... so if I was judged on a bad day and recieved feedback like that, I see it could easily put someone off the whole course permanantly...:/

just a little example... first secret customer service test got 100%, "Happy friendly warm" employee, very next test get 40% "looked like she didn't want to be there" "unfriendly" "cold" hahaha

I actually do better when no one's watching/judging me so I don't feel like I'm being tested. I volunteered at several hospitals before, interacting with patients, and my best performance came when no nurses were watching me. It was just me and the patient talking one on one, but I still struggled at coming up with stuff to say, so I must have bored them.

Oh, gotcha. Anyway that does like it was stressful and I hope you found a better path :)

Thanks. I thinking of a career path cross between business and IT.