Elevator Etiquette

State_Of_Trance

As an awkward person, I sometimes respond to things incorrectly. Like so:

9055324.jpg

I did a variant of on an elevator at work. When there's already someone in the elevator by the buttons when you get in, they sometimes have a look / manner that says, "Since I'm at the buttons just tell me your floor and I'll push it." Other times you get in the elevator and the person is far enough away from the buttons that you just push the stupid thing yourself. Today I misjudged the guy's distance. That is, I thought he was in the position where he'll do it for me. I said, "Uh, four." He pressed it and sarcastically said with a grin, "Yeah, I'll push it for you. You're not really old enough to push it, I guess." Apparently he thought that he WASN'T in the push-it-for-me-territory.

Anyone else fumble around on the elevators / lifts?

Recidivism

I take the stairs to avoid contacts like these. It's why my legs are the only part of me even remotely close to being 'fit'.

nodejesque

Oh yeah, elevators can be interesting. Especially the whole button thing. I used to hate, absolutely dread having to ask someone to push it for me, so I'd say excuse me.... And push it myself. But the last time I did that the man near the buttons blatantly put his face in hair and sniffed me. And I couldn't escape because we had already started going up. God. It was terrifying. So now, I let whoever is next to the buttons know what floor I am going, or i try to stand next to the buttons myself.

Also, its brutal when someone has so much perfume or cologne on.... And you're stuck.

slimjim119

I don't take elevators to often. But I never have a problem. If they get too crowded i'll wait for another one or take the stairs for exercise.

I would just assume you have to press the button for the floor you want yourself. Unless someone is literally in front of it blocking it. I wouldn't rely or assume other people will do it.

State_Of_Trance

I would just assume you have to press the button for the floor you want yourself. Unless someone is literally in front of it blocking it. I wouldn't rely or assume other people will do it.

The thing is that in my company pressing the elevator for others was pretty common. The issue therefore couldn't just be ignored.

slimjim119

The thing is that in my company pressing the elevator for others was pretty common. The issue therefore couldn't just be ignored.

In my opinion I would always make an attempt to reach for the button. Unless you really see a kind soul or you know the person. If it's a stranger you don't know I wouldn't rely on them.

State_Of_Trance

In my opinion I would always make an attempt to reach for the button. [...]

This can be awkward when the person has just pressed the button for the floor they want and hovers near the buttons and looks around. Reaching over when a dude was clearly prepared to do it for me would've felt awkward.

They weren't necessarily kind souls. It was just kind of the company culture, I guess.

Last edited:

LoyalXenite

I've never had anyone push a button for me, I tend to push the button as I walk to the back of the elevator. I dont know if its just something I have never encountered or Im just too oblivious and have not noticed...