Driving Drama

I posted two of mine in another thread but I'll put them here too.

There was one time this guy tailgating me drove past me down the side of the street with oncoming traffic, got in front of me, stopped short, flipped me off and then floored it. He was in an absolute rage. To be fair, I think I was going under the speed limit for a bit but he way overreacted. Had a red sports car - hotheads ;)

Another time I was broken down in a parking lot and this guy got out of his car and came toward my open window demanding I move even though I kept telling him I was BROKEN DOWN. He just kept belligerently saying "What!? MOVE THE ****ING CAR!!!" So I shut up before he attacked me or something while I waited to be towed.

Funny one about my aunt. She was at a traffic light once and the guy next to her kept staring at her. She thought he was checking her out and was flattered. Her daughter was in the passenger seat and when my aunt turned to her she said, "Mom, one of your sunglass lenses are missing." She hadn't even noticed, how do you not notice that? The guy wasn't checking her out, he was staring at her half empty sunglasses X)

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Ok I have 2 weird stories.

I was driving in my car and there was a little bit of traffic. At one point I noticed this car next to me who was trying to stay at my level even though he had plenty of room to keep going forward. He was trying to talk to me even though my window wasn't open (I f***ing hate when people do that!) so at some point I opened my window and said "what" and he said "can I buy your car?" and I'm like... "what? No." For the record I drive an old shitty car, that I love, but it's still old and shitty. He was driving an SUV. I was at a red light and it turned green so I left him and kept driving, but then he was still chasing me and staying at my level even though he was blocking everyone behind him, and kept asking "are you sure? I'll give you a lot of money for it!" (wtf!?)Of course I didn't keep this pointless conversation going and I just said dude, forget about it, and I shut my window and ignored him, and he left. I have no idea what he wanted with my car.

Second story, I was stuck at a red light and suddenly I noticed that the woman in the car next to me was talking to me even though my window wasn't open (*&?%?&"%!!! I CAN'T hear you people) so I opened it and I said "what." She said: "I am so happy to see you! You are so beautiful! You are exactly like I remember!" so I said... "You're mistaken me for someone else" and she goes "noooo I know you, I've been waiting for you, I knew I would find you" and while I'm trying to figure out if she's insane or if I'm missing something, a girl in front of us start crossing the street and that woman in the car start screaming at her "You are so pretty!!! Smile!! Smile to life!!" I had my answer.

Well that was long to write , and not that interesting haha

Well that was long to write , and not that interesting haha

I think they were interesting, but I think a lot of things are interesting that others don't.

I just think driving stories in particular are funny because they're often awkward (same reason I love public transportation stories) and because when people get in their cars they often act in ways they wouldn't ordinarily. I'm not exempt from that, it's much easier to lean out of your window and shout profanity at someone and then drive away and never have to see them again than if you say it to someone on foot who can get aggressive or whatever. I mean, aside from someone shooting your from their car, haha...

I've thought someone was talking to me when they were talking to someone else. That is extremely awkward for some reason.

Last edited:

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
^Hah, it's true that people act different when in their car. Like they feel protected. As if they were far away alone in a tower where no one can touch them.

Actually I had fun writing it and I had fun reading yours, but I always feel stupid when I write something so long, like I'm wasting people's time. I don't feel like people are wasting anyone's time when they write long post though. I have brain problems. :D

Actually I had fun writing it and I had fun reading yours, but I always feel stupid when I write something so long, like I'm wasting people's time. I don't feel like people are wasting anyone's time when they write long post though. I have brain problems. :D

Ehhh... it is a forum, after all. I post a lot of pointless crap in the form of long rambling posts and I'm sure some people do find it pointless but I don't care, it's fun and sometimes even generates conversation... sometimes :p

I know it's hard to not feel self-conscious sometimes, though. I often go back and delete things I've posted, on here and other places. I like reading your posts though Pacific :)

AlienGeranium

So one night after work I was walking to my car and noticed something strange about it - it was up on a divider with the front smashed in. It sort of took me a second for it to sink in, because my car had been parked...in a parking lot, very away from road. As I walk over I see three kids standing around and then I notice a truck parked 50 feet away or so. I ask the kids "what happened?" and they tell me the guy is highly intoxicated. I work in a big plaza, and all the way on the opposite side is a bar, where I guess he had a few too many. So I guess what happened was he got in his car, slammed into a lightpost, sat in car for 5 minutes recovering, and then found his way to my parking lot going about 40 mph for a head-on collusion with my parked car. Fast enough to lift and spin my car onto a divider. And all this happening about 2 minutes before my shift ended. So had I gotten out 5 minutes earlier it would have been avoided, or 2 minutes earlier and I probably would have been hit.

MollyBeGood

Ex BF was pulled up to a stoplight and for some reason gave the guy in front of us the finger for something, I don't remember what now, the dude jumps out of the car and they almost got into a fight. Not smart to give strangers the bird cuz you never know what psycho might be ready to hurt you. That really freaked me out.

Merel

I was 19 or 20 when this happened, and I might've told this story here before if I remember correctly. I was driving into a grocery store parking lot and this man floored it in front of me, running through a stop sign and deliberately cutting me off, so I honked my horn at him. He rolled down his window and started shouting at me when his car was aligned with mine, but I purposely ignored him (my window was rolled up and I had music on so I couldn't hear too well) and kept driving. He followed me into the parking lot, parked behind my car so I couldn't back out and made a giant display, throwing a tantrum I'd expect from a 6 year old child only laced with the occasional obscenity. My voice was shaking and all I could say was "you cut me off!" over and over. As I was almost inside the store, he got out of his car, pulled out his phone and called who I presumed to be the police. I reported it to the police as I was driving home (memorized his license plate), but I didn't expect anything to come out of it as no threats occurred, just very annoying harassment.

MollyBeGood

Is it me or are most aggressive drivers men who have a real bone to pick and prey on anyone they can find to piss off? Women might be "absent minded make-up putting on in the rear views" etc.. but males are looking for a fight.

Ah...wtf ever.. Either way people suck. Driving, walking, talking, all the same. Male/female all idiots. There. Answered my own question as usual. :)

theoutsider

I posted this on a car forum that I used to go to a few years ago. I thought it would be appropriate here:

So I went to the grocery store this morning. When I came back out, I'm walking to my car and saw some old guy standing beside my car staring at it. At first I'm like, "WTH is this man doing?" Then it hits me as I see him pressing the buttons on his key fob. He's trying to get my car to unlock because he thinks it's his. I walk up beside him and say with a smile, "Wrong car." He seems a bit confused when I say this and doesn't quite get it at first so I repeat again with a smile, "You have the wrong car." I then press the unlock button on my key fob and the car unlocks. He seems relieved when this happens as it seems he must have been standing there for a little while. He still doesn't get it. I'm not the happy locksmith descended down on the parking lot to help him get into his car but he seems to think I just figured out how to get his car opened for him. He proceeds to open the door to get in. I repeat a little more sternly, "Wrong car." And now I'm thinking this dude may be a little off and he's going to possibly make a scene, screaming for help or something because somebody is trying to take his car from him. My concern deepens as I hear him utter a quiet, "No." I have been scanning the parking lot for another car that looks like mine that would obviously be the one that belongs to him. I don't see one. Oh great, I got myself a situation on my hands. To my relief, he finally takes a look at my car's interior and it hits him. Oh, I have the wrong car. I laugh it off and tell him it's okay because I'm thinking how embarrassed I would be if the roles were reversed. He makes a rather hasty apology and goes off in search of his car. By now I am curious so I watch him as he goes. He gets to his car. And it's a red, late model Toyota Corolla! Other than the color it looks nothing like my car. Poor old guy. He must have gotten to the age where he's easily disoriented. I hope it's safe for him to drive. He appeared to be in his late 60's to early 70's. I know some people in that age range who are as sharp as ever but some aren't and show signs of deteriorating mental capabilities. Hope he's okay.

I've actually opened the door to another car that looked exactly like mine years ago. Luckily the owner was nowhere around and I quickly realized my mistake.

I just love it when a parked car drives out right in front of you, cutting your car off and you are forced to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting them. Once when this happened I saw the driver had actually looked in his rear vision mirror and saw me and STILL drove right out in front of me.:eek:h:

As he almost caused an accident, I beeped my horn and what does he do?....he sticks his arm out of his window and gives me the middle finger. :sad:

There are so many violent incidents of Road Rage here that I am too scared to beep my horn anymore. I don't want to get my window broken with a crowbar. My uncle once got punched in the face through his open driver's side window, and he was not even in the wrong.

theoutsider

I remember once, when I was driving to work I saw someone in the same kind of car a good friend of mine drives. Since we both worked in the same area and had to be at work at the same time, we would often see each other on the highway. Well this lady had dark hair like my friend, the exact same car and was on the road going the same way at the same time as me. I must have honked and waved at her 6 different times, trying to figure out why she wasn't acknowledging me. I should mention this was before I was prescribed glasses. I finally pulled even with her and rolled my window down to ask how she was and why she was ignoring me. The poor lady looked horrified as she probably thought I was some kind of psycho. You can imagine my embarrassment when it turned out not to be my friend.

Last edited:
Is it me or are most aggressive drivers men who have a real bone to pick and prey on anyone they can find to piss off?

Problems happen on the road when people are competitive and want to "win" all the time and hate it when another car overtakes them etc as they see it as losing, I think this is where a lot of male aggression comes from. Another thing is people who are time-poor, rushing around trying to do too much; we have trouble here with people running red lights practically every light change now

Problems happen on the road when people are competitive and want to "win" all the time and hate it when another car overtakes them etc as they see it as losing, I think this is where a lot of male aggression comes from. Another thing is people who are time-poor, rushing around trying to do too much; we have trouble here with people running red lights practically every light change now

Yeah I don't understand the driving competition thing. I'm concerned about being safe while driving not my pride. So silly.

theoutsider

Once, a guy ran right out in front of me at a stop sign. The funny thing was he actually waited until I got too close to avoid an accident before he pulled out in front of me. When the police showed up, he tried to convince him I was speeding. Luckily, the cop basically laughed at his story, gave him a ticket and wrote up the report to indicate he was at fault.

Xervello

I posted two of mine in another thread but I'll put them here too.

There was one time this guy tailgating me drove past me down the side of the street with oncoming traffic, got in front of me, stopped short, flipped me off and then floored it. He was in an absolute rage. To be fair, I think I was going under the speed limit for a bit but he way overreacted. Had a red sports car - hotheads ;)

Another time I was broken down in a parking lot and this guy got out of his car and came toward my open window demanding I move even though I kept telling him I was BROKEN DOWN. He just kept belligerently saying "What!? MOVE THE ****ING CAR!!!" So I shut up before he attacked me or something while I waited to be towed.

You need to buy some a-hole repellent. Ffs, what the heck's wrong with people. It's embarrassing enough to have that happen, let alone to be harassed during. Back when I was in high school I drove this ugly little Plymouth Horizon with an oxidized roof (a real babe magnet!) that kept stalling all the time. One afternoon I was at an intersection right outside my school when the thing dies on me at a light. So here I am waving to the cars behind me to pass. After a few minutes of failing to get it to start and playing amateur traffic cop, I had to push it to a side road, go up to a stranger's door, knock, and ask if I could use their phone (this was the 90's, no cells) and have my mother come pick me up. And the truly amusing part? After waiting twenty minutes for her to arrive, I tried firing it up again and it started, lol. So not only did I go through that ordeal, but I also had to be griped at by my mother. I mean, it was a pain in the rear, but still.

I have a monopoly on embarrassing driving stories. If anyone wants to feel better by comparison, just ask and I'll share more. :thumbup: