Dr Richards audio series

PrettyBoy

Has anyone tried this? I've had it for a while now planning to start it soon. On the site where they sell it there are videos of people and there success with this audio series and these people are pretty much over there sa because of it. It would be good to hear from people who've done the whole series I think it lasts about five months and did it improve your sa or even cure you? I've heard a lot of positive things about it.

I read his webpage, but I was suspicious because he is supposed to be a doctor but there were lots of basic spelling and grammar mistakes. Don't you think a doctor would make sure there were no basic mistakes on his webpage?

jayo

Have it and it's very good.
It focuses on challenging automatic negative thoughts daily and consistently.
You will need to put the work in but the results will come through.
Plus he guides you on the discs.
If you are serious about overcoming SA use these tapes and book.
If not stand aside and continue to sink like the previous poster.

Have it and it's very good.
It focuses on challenging automatic negative thoughts daily and consistently.
You will need to put the work in but the results will come through.
Plus he guides you on the discs.
If not stand aside and continue to sink like the previous poster.

I'm not sinking. I read heaps of self help books. I would have ordered the discs if I lived in the US.:)

Yep. Tried it last year.

but I'm a slob and didn't really do the homework it assigns for u (reading handouts daily, practicing slow talk etc). Neither did I follow through with everything step by step at the pace Dr. Richards suggested\

Still, I would say his tape series have been tremendously helpful. I still have SA. But ever since I started with the tapes, I've been taking positive steps to overcome my anxiety. My attitude has changed. I'm now much more optimistic and proactive than before, and I'm no longer avoiding social situations and living like a recluse like I used to. I'd say my SA has improved by ~30% if it could be quantified.

The tapes does get a little tedious after a while, which is why I stopped.

I'd say give it a shot

PrettyBoy

Yer I'm very serious about it. I'm determined to improve my SA. I haven't started them yet because I'm waiting until I'm organized and then staying organized with the audio series. I'm going to stop coming on SA sites as well for the duration of the tapes because I can't help but read the negative posts and they can't be good for my SA. Hopefully once I've finished the tapes I can come back with a better life and stories to tell fingers crossed

Ramokee

I did the entire series and YES it was very difficult to juggle the handouts and daily homework, it definitely did help me somewhat, but since completing the series I signed up with a private cbt therapist who told me some of Dr Richards techniques can actually reinforce the anxiety, he said I shouldn't use any special behaviours like slow talk, and that I should just carry on doing what I would normally do even when feeling anxious. So then I became kinda disillusioned to what works and what doesn't. He asked me to keep an sa log diary of all my Automatic Negative Thoughts and replace them with accurate apprasial. I have to be honest I haven't used it much. I'm now doing some research on the best forms of cbt to use.

Remus

Staff member
I heard about this as someone on another site downloaded the torrent and illegally obtained the audio book, it worked well for them and I don't think they got caught.

Of course the mod team cannot condone downloading illegal content and would not allow any torrent links from the pirate bay or isohunt, just as google could not get in trouble just because someone did a google search for Dr Richards torrents

FOR REAL

Banned
I heard about this as someone on another site downloaded the torrent and illegally obtained the audio book, it worked well for them and I don't think they got caught.

Of course the mod team cannot condone downloading illegal content and would not allow any torrent links from the pirate bay or isohunt, just as google could not get in trouble just because someone did a google search for Dr Richards torrents

aye, i never just downloaded it from ISOHUNT either:D

dzerklis

Dr. Richards audio series are great, but i think everyone should know that he isn't the author of CBT, he borrowed most if not all the ideas from the father of CBT, David D. Burns.