"Don't worry!"

princess_haru

Yeah, it can be hard to take, but I always just tell myself that their intentions are good (whether they actually are or not) If they don't know more about it, then I can't blame them because they're fortunate enough to not have experience SA. Just be more careful who you open up to about these things, people who you know will be more understanding (how about your parents? if they're worriers themselves...)

I'm really careful who I speak to about this - it's only my mum, my brother and my boyfriend who know any details and I haven't even gone as far as using the words "social phobia" or "social anxiety" - I just tell them that I get nervous around people and don't have a lot of confidence. It might've sounded like I've spoken to a lot of people from what I said in my first post, but it's only those three people I've opened up to.

My mum's a worrier, but she doesn't worry about the same things as me (she's waaay more practical and just worries about tangible things like bills and budgeting!) I think my dad would have understood, but he died a long time ago. I really wish I could talk to him about this, as I have a strong feeling he went through it too!

Tiercel

I'm really careful who I speak to about this - it's only my mum, my brother and my boyfriend who know any details and I haven't even gone as far as using the words "social phobia" or "social anxiety" - I just tell them that I get nervous around people and don't have a lot of confidence.

Maybe using the phrase "social anxiety" would help cut down on the "don't worry!" responses you get. Perhaps when you've finished this gig you could mention it in passing. Or maybe mention that you found something on the internet that sounds a lot like you.

Or if you're feeling really bold, tell them that you're princess_haru at a place called socialphobiaworld.com! :)

Then again, I don't tell anyone I know about myself....

princess_haru

I could try it... but it's really scary to open up that much to someone in real life! :eek: I'm quite a private person and a lot of my thoughts never make it past my lips. For some reason, it's a little easier for them to escape through my fingers when I type!

Tiercel

For some reason, it's a little easier for them to escape through my fingers when I type!

Well there's your answer. Just send an email. And you could even let the person you tell do the hard work for you. Send him/her/it a link to a page with a description of social anxiety disorder that you just so happened upon a few days ago. And it kind of sounds like you. And since you hold this person's opinion in such great esteem, you were wondering if they thought it might be something worth looking in to. That way you could approach the subject one step at a time instead of "Hey! I have a social anxiety disorder! You think I'm worrying? F-:eek: you!"

Of course if you did tell your mom, brother, or boyfriend, they might just think you're worrying again. ;)