Does the internet bring out the worst in people?

Do you think the internet brings out the worst in people?

• Yes

Votes: 28 73.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

Kiwong

It can bring out the worst in people. It can attract the worse of people.

I think it can bring out the best in people too.

takethislife

Definetly, because of the anonymity of its users. If you look at youtube for example, a lot of people there wouldn't dare to say those things to each other in person.

LazyHermitCrab

it can also bring out the good in people because to other people in rl we might not seem interestng or something but yes in many cases....

Etbow23

I'm wondering if anyone else notices how many racist /sexist comments there are on the internet, especially youtube. I'm wondering what this means!

It's like, do the people i pass on the street everyday actually think like that??

*shudder*

MikeyC

I'm wondering if anyone else notices how many racist /sexist comments there are on the internet, especially youtube. I'm wondering what this means!

It's like, do the people i pass on the street everyday actually think like that??

*shudder*
Sexism and racism are rife and uncontrollable, especially on YouTube. There's no moderation there and the nastiest comments can get posted with no consequences.

I once saw a video of a woman playing the drums to a metal song, and most of the comments were about how hot she was (or wasn't) and sexual innuendo.

It's sad.

N0D

Banned
the internet doesn't bring out the worst in people...it just makes the ****bags of the world more visible...

Remus

Staff member
I've been online since 2000, it's gotten worse. There's so much hate on the internet, IRL people are not anywhere near as abusive to each other.

surreyger

It depends on the person and website. If you go onto a youtube video and read the comments you do 99% of the time wonder wtf is wrong with some people! but I also think It can and is a great thing when used right.

You can get alot of people saying things and acting a way online they wouldnt dare do to someone irl, but at the same time, I dont think I can be as honest as I am online sometimes.

Sartana

Depends on the person. I've met some great people on the internet. Of course I havent met any of them in person (I met one but he was a friend of a friend anyway) but I've had as good conversations with some of them (if not better!) than I have with people I know in real life.

For some people the internet strps down barriers and helps them to become more upfront and honest. For others it just gives them a mask to be jerks behind. But there are no absolutes about it I don't think.

Etbow23

Sexism and racism are rife and uncontrollable, especially on YouTube. There's no moderation there and the nastiest comments can get posted with no consequences.

I once saw a video of a woman playing the drums to a metal song, and most of the comments were about how hot she was (or wasn't) and sexual innuendo.

It's sad.

You're right-it is really sad. I think I'll try to avoid reading the comments on there. And if I ever dare post one...some douchebag will respond back with some nasty thing (even if i didn't say anything offensive)