Does SA affect your schoolwork?

Why

i think it does to me... in a negative way

i think most ppl would think SA would help school work since no friends- > more time for hw.

but It may just be me... but im finding no motivation to do my hw other than the grades, and no motivation to do extra curricular studying. I mean my life is so dull, i think if i had a fun active social life, i could focus on my work after having fun and also look forward to the weekend.. its just the same as weekdays to me.

this quarter is probably gonna be bad grades and i feel so shitty since i know for a fact i can do better.

::(:

Why

oh and i read here that sometimes ppl have anxiety so they skip class but its opposite for me.. i like giong to class because i feel productive and useful but i dont even pay attention ><

Nack

Banned
mhm, i use to do it for the grades and the fact that i feared being judge by teachers.. But since i realize, grades doesn't mean squat. Experience and knowledge does. And having a 4.0 gpa doesn't mean that my future will be a rainbow. I pretty much gave up...

Miami

it affects me. I remember in highschool, the classes that I had friends in I would do GREAT. and the classes that I dfidnt know anyone in I did horrible.

I think it is because when I was in a class with my friends, I would be more comfortable and more talkitive, so if I didnt understand something I didnt have any problem asking the teacher or a classmate for a better explanation. I was also able to participate more in those classes (ex. do a math problem on the board, etc...)

In the classes that I didnt know anyone, I couldnt even look at my surrounding classmates let alone ask a question in class.

Also, I am now fighting with my lack of motivation. I find myself just rotting away doing nothing instead of stuyding or doing H.W. and I know that if I had a girlfriends or friends or a future to look forward to, that I would have some motivation to do good in school.

Last edited:

Emily_G

My schoolwork was never affected, but I seriously considered not doing public speeches in college because of my stuttering. I'm glad I did them though, esp my senior year...I was finally mature enough to just do my best and not care what others though.

i think it does to me... in a negative way

i think most ppl would think SA would help school work since no friends- > more time for hw.

but It may just be me... but im finding no motivation to do my hw other than the grades, and no motivation to do extra curricular studying. I mean my life is so dull, i think if i had a fun active social life, i could focus on my work after having fun and also look forward to the weekend.. its just the same as weekdays to me.

this quarter is probably gonna be bad grades and i feel so shitty since i know for a fact i can do better.

::(:

Completely understand, I use to be a top student, then when I got SP and depression I dropped, since then I have a hard time doing anything over the top, I pass by with minimums most of the time. And it isn't like I couldn't do more, hell if I studied 1 hour a day or so I would most likely have way better. But the motivation to do so it never there.

I did ok in high school because all I had to do was listen and I was ok, but college is killing me, I got so low of a gpa last year, because I had no motivation to do the work, and wanted to sleep all the time due to the depression that I am now on academic probation. I am doing better this time, but even then it is hard, and only getting average grades. It drains me so much.

The only time SA ever affected my grades was earlier this year in speech class. I got a B on a speech because I looked really nervous and didn't talk loud enough. But, I ended up with an A in the class and the professor even told me that I'm a really good speaker, and I was just like what, really?! :confused:

Lonelykitsune

Yes,i definetly dont feel any motivation since ill never get a job no matter how well i do in tests.I can never ask a question in class so in subjects like maths and irish i fall behind cos i dont care and cant ask for help.But in irish its mainly that i dont care though.

I like subjects were you can work away on your own though like history and geography(my geo teacher was never in so i basicly taught myself to get an A lulz)

dmdmm

Well, my next project is worth like 30% of my engineering class. It's a 15 minute speech. I shake a lot when I give speeches, so I don't know how well it will go. Plus I stutter when I get stressed. I never did that in speech class, but my speeches were all around 4-5 minutes.

There's only so long I can talk about something...

emmasma

I have dropped out of collage twice in the first two weeks due to not feeling comfortable in the situation, so i would say yes.

shore_of_glass

yes, it mainly destroys motivation. And since I'm in college and I know nobody, it only gets worse, I just get in there, learn and get home as soon as I can without opening my mouth....

oui

It helps me with my school work. I've cultivated a fascination of those eccentrics that have progressed in philosophy, math, and science. Their loneliness and accomplishments motivate my own inner learning.

Kat

Yes, it’s definitely affected me. When I was going to school I feared being judged and getting a bad grade. I was more ok with not trying and failing then trying and failing. Some of the teachers said I would be the perfect student if I applied myself in the work because I didn’t cause them any hassles in the behavioral sense.

I wish I did apply myself at my school work because it’s a lot harder to try and catch up as an adult. I don’t agree with how the school system is run but I do believe having a good education or to be extremely good at something that is valued in this world is important.

Shift

Does anyone else have a problem with other people reading what they write? Or just me? I get really freaked out because I am embarrassed about other people reading my stuff because I am a terrible writer. Sometimes I don't write papers because of that and my grades are much lower than they should be.

(writing in the forums and e-mails is okay for me because it is informal. I just have issues with academic papers because I am graded on them and I think everyone is going to think I am an idiot...)

the_other_guy

It does. Tremendously.

I used to be a really good student in high school - had stunning GPA and SAT scores in the 99th percentile, which allowed me to get into the University of Virginia Engineering school. Even though i suffered from depression as early as in my high school junior year, it did not start to affect my studies till my freshman year in college. As a result, i have a very mediocre GPA. I just want to sleep all the time , or just lie down and think about my various fantasies. I am 19 years old, and never had a relationship - which bothers me a great deal sometimes. Even though I have some really close friends, I feel lonely, and would rather stay in my room listening to music than go out and party and have fun like the average guy. I have very low self esteem, and it shows in my apathy towards academics these days.

I am so grateful that I found this forum :), because I would be too shy to talk about these things in front of anyone.

Last edited:

emmasma

Does anyone else have a problem with other people reading what they write? Or just me?
I hate that more than anything! I was always a good writer but never wanted people to read my things when I am present. I did quite well in high school, but in my senior year the English teacher wanted us to do a report in front of the class and it was to count as our final exam. I refused, understanding that it was not possible to pass (or graduate I think) without it. In the end she gave some big extra credit assignment and I passed with a C instead of an A.

Interzone

Yes, it definitely does. I just have absolutely no motivation to do anything. I've got nothing to look forward to and I just don't really care.

I think Miami described it best in an earlier post.