Does playing ''hard to get'' work?

recluse

Is it a good idea to ignore a girl once in a while, i mean things like not sending her messages?

xSleepy

yes... it works sometimes. But if you do it toooo much, she'll probably think you just don't want to talk to her and she'll start thinking crazy things like... omg he must think im annoying or boring and thats why he doesnt wanna talk to me. he wants to talk to other people who are more interesting...

so yea, you dont want it to get to the point where thats what shes thinking. Just a little ignoring is good though. cause then she'd probably think... aw I wonder what hes doing, I kinda miss him... :)

Ubersonic

It works, if your attractive.

I am unattractive so no whether I ignore or show interest I'm not getting anywhere.

northface

It depents! For example I take no notice of a beauty. She is the beauty at work and she has a large number of worshippers. So I thought it is better to let it be. But today I said hello at the right time and she answered me. Usually she do not answered, nobody!

MrTornado

Ubersonic said:
It works, if your attractive.

I am unattractive so no whether I ignore or show interest I'm not getting anywhere.

Not necessarily, does it have to be that way I mean. I've seen some unattractive guys with REALLY hot girls. Luck? Maybe but it happens.

durda_dan

thats how i got my girlfriend, i found it helps just to pretend you don't know her for the first few days when you meet her, alwasy say your too busy, it's difficult becaue i'm not an asshole and i really wanted to see her, But i had to do that to get a girl.

weak

Ignoring a girl who's interested in you can work to your advantage, especially if done so with a combination of other things. It's all just a matter of playing the part and pulling it off.

The whole "oh I'm sorry I didn't return your call, I've just been so busy lately" routine works well. It's a subtle way to apologize for your lack of attentiveness, and at the same you're boosting your image. Busy = good. Shows you have a life. Shows you have options. If you don't got it, just fake it.

Read up on the push-pull technique. Again, if you can't play the part, it may not work. This is something that requires effort.

http://genxxl.com/sex-dating/what-women-want-push-pull-technique/

rado31

weak said:
Ignoring a girl who's interested in you can work to your advantage, especially if done so with a combination of other things. It's all just a matter of playing the part and pulling it off.

The whole "oh I'm sorry I didn't return your call, I've just been so busy lately" routine works well. It's a subtle way to apologize for your lack of attentiveness, and at the same you're boosting your image. Busy = good. Shows you have a life. Shows you have options. If you don't got it, just fake it.

Read up on the push-pull technique. Again, if you can't play the part, it may not work. This is something that requires effort.

And what for rest of us who are from some reason unable to lie or to fake>?
Maybe to inject botox in brain...

dpr

Yeah I think it works, but it's a game. Just another game that people play. It's manipulative, appealing to their insecurities in a small, subtly way. And games are kind of stupid, when you really sit down and think about it. I've purposely done it before though.

It depends on the girl too. I think it drives some girls crazy and they really want to know why you're not "gaga" over them yet. On the other hand, she may be a no-nonsense type who has had enough of guys running games in her life and if you don't call her the day you say you will or you act like you don't like her, she'll lose interest. It depends, ya know?

That said, I think being aloof and leaving the girl wanting more is a much better idea than being too persistent and clingy and always in her face. They hate that.

Havocan

Works to some degree, by doing that you're showing her that you're an independent person capable of surviving on your own and don't need her around you 24 hours a day.

no12

Banned
sadly.. the only reason why it might work is that it makes you look "superior" to her. And that's exactly what some women want because they may feel inferior. or they feel that, that is the supposed "role" of men, to be dominant and superior, whiel the women are inferior and are to be like children, not able to think for themselves?

Emmmmy

I suppose it depends how good you are at acting and whether or not you can pull it off.

It definitely works when you don't want it to - say, when you're trying not to hurt someones feelings, so politely avoid them. They definitely seem to want you more as a result.

People with top notch social skills can pull it off no probs I'm sure. Sometimes I think, being socially skilled is just a matter of being successfully manipulative. However, maybe I'm deluded and just think that as a way of fighting the shy-person-corner :roll: .

Walk

rado31 said:
weak said:

And what for rest of us who are from some reason unable to lie or to fake>?
Maybe to inject botox in brain...

The techniques Weak has mentioned do work, but in my experience, the guys best at attracting girls into their life talk to them a lot. Like, a lot. Many times just random shit. But the key, I think, is that they talk in a way that shows they're experienced in life. Especially in regards to women, people in general, problems. These things are really hard to fake if you can't actually back it up. But you gotta start somewhere, so faking it a little here and there might work to your advantage. Personally, I'd only use it as a last resort if nothing else is working. I don't like lying. I find blunt honesty really intriguing in people.

Jay Cataldo

Yea, being a bit aloof can work to your advantage. The easiest way to do this correctly is to actually have a busy life. Then when you get a chance to talk to her, you can tell her about all the cool things you have been up to which paints a picture of what her life will be like if she dates you. Obviously, she will be more interested if you have an exciting life than if you're sitting home with World of Warcraft every day. ;)

nobodyuknow

Is it a good idea to ignore a girl once in a while, i mean things like not sending her messages?

No. I think it's dumb to play any game with anyone regardless of what sex they are. People will see through it eventually and then just resent you for it. Even idiots don't like to be treated like idiots. So it's really dumb to do that to someone that you are potentially interested in. It's too calculated and manipulative.

Have you ever been in a situation where you overhear snippets of conversations (*cough cough* I mean theoretically of course) and it seems like it might be about you because of the weird way they stop talking or just the strange body language, and you try to ignore it and think, Well, I am anxious and hypersensitive; I am just imagining things. I have such an overactive imagination!
Then later it turns out your first instincts were right? How did you feel? Did you like it? Did you feel insulted, degraded and stupid? Most likely. Did you even want to be friends with the people? Definitely not.

Being clingy, on the other hand, is a bad thing. Giving people breathing room and not smothering a person is good, but that is completely different from playing hard-to-get, which is insulting to everyone and a complete turnoff.

I feel this way and I am a girl. I just wanted to point that out because stereotypically that is who is supposed to pull that kind of crap. If you feel like you have to resort to that type of thing, it's not worth it. Try to hang out with people that treat you like a friend, is what I think.

Also, it might just be me, but I think it's dumb to listen to any dating advice (Especially anything like that book The Game! Ugh. Or possibly everything I've just said :D) or to listen to any generalities about either sex. I think it's better to take it on a case-by-case basis, and that way, even if you meet a lot of nasty people, you will know that you didn't put on some bullshit act, and you will know that the people that are your friends are genuine.

Or maybe playing hard-to-get will work and you will at least get into a lot of girls' pants, but you might still end up alone (not including the crabs), with the clap.

Last edited:

Jay Cataldo

No. I think it's dumb to play any game with anyone regardless of what sex they are. People will see through it eventually and then just resent you for it. Even idiots don't like to be treated like idiots. So it's really dumb to do that to someone that you are potentially interested in. It's too calculated and manipulative.

Are you saying that not immediately returning someone's text message is manipulative?

And honestly, how attracted were you to the last guy in your life who was available for you 24-7?