Does everyone have a significant other?

Pisces

Well this is the first time I've been able to be open about this.

Anyways from my recent experiences I found that just about every person I've come into close proximity with seems to have a partner.

You may wonder what the problem with that is and it's the fact that I've never been with anyone before.

The simple solution for some people would be to avoid said persons, but I usually end up sitting next to some girl at uni that starts blabbing on about what she and her boyfriend did. That starts a chain reaction and the girls around the table start to follow suit.
I have tried sitting away from such things which resulted with me sitting alone for a few lessons.

Not only do I have to listen to that garbage at Uni but also at work too.
I work at the university convenience store which is right in the middle of the campus and thus being so has around 5000+ students there every day.
Again, I have to listen to people go on about dating and all that crap and it's just so depressing to listen to.

The people I work with all seem to have partners and they always ask me if I've found someone which feels insulting because they ask me so frequently.

I wish people would be open about being single more often :roll:

Ashiene

lol me too, it seems as if everyone around me has a boyfriend or girlfriend. and im always the odd one out.

joeljjison

Think about these people... they're all in their romances so they can have conversations like that. Proudly single... thats not really aloud is it? I'm single, and i've never been with anyone either. (21, graduated from uni).. and i don't feel any desire to have a girlfriend.. and i couldn't care less about other peoples girl and boyfriends. (Well except for a couple of people who i feel protective towards)... I'm pretty timid in the flesh, and when i was younger i used to want a girlfriend, and be affected by all this couply stuff. The grass is always greener. I think the reason i was bothered, is because i was unsatisfied. Couples often unconsciously lord around their precious companionship, and many people who have been in them, think that their life will always be incomplete without one. We know otherwise. We just have to remember.

Possibly your only way to avoid it is to end up sitting alone, or actively say your not interested. Both will ostracize you.. so therefore the only solution is to somehow tune it out, or become not bothered. I would suggest trying to laugh at that crap, and don't be depressed about it. I'm nowhere near as good as my own advice (though i am honestly feel no need to be in a relationship) but think of them like this...

what is really there? a good friend, opposite sex. and sex/similar.

I don't think its the lack of sex that bothers you, from what your saying...and a decent friend should really be on the same level as boy or girlfriend. if you try to recall that, you may be less bothered.

i hope that is of some help

Argamemnon

I believe people who suffer from severe social anxiety and can't even find a partner need a separate forum. I can't really relate to people who have a partner. They surely aren't suffering as much as I do. No way.

Remus

Staff member
From my experience of people with this condition,I think you have social phobia with groups (like I have) or social phobia with one to ones, who knows which is worse :/

ah_bon

Argamemnon said:
I believe people who suffer from severe social anxiety and can't even find a partner need a separate forum. I can't really relate to people who have a partner. They surely aren't suffering as much as I do. No way.
Word.. I agree with you.

I've never had anything close to a partner or girlfriend.. It's fucking depressing. I always read peoples posts talking about how shitty their lives are, and then they mention their boyfriend, or wife or whatever... Like wtf, if I had that I'd be so grateful! I probably wouldn't be here if I had someone like that in my life.

chris87

I don't have a girlfriend, and my hope in finding one is nonexistent. I know that realistically, I will probably be single for a long time. I would enjoy the company for sure.

no1

Banned
yeah. I dont even know if I'll want one when I'm too old either except for the company maybe.

I've been single for about 3 years. My last (and first) 'boyfriend' and i dated for maybe a month before i freaked. I stopped answering his calls and basically ignored him until he got the message... That was just before my fall from grace and sudden onset of PTSD, GAD, OCD, Depression, and SA...
So i guess my situation is a little different, where as i did grow up as a shy kid, i had great friends and a great social life up until that point in my life when i cracked...
Now, I never go out. And because i feel most comfortable alone, i really have NO desire for a boyfriend (or girlfriend for that matter). There are some nights though, i mean i'm only human i've got hormones, lol...
xx

ah_bon

gutterflower_86 said:
I've been single for about 3 years. My last (and first) 'boyfriend' and i dated for maybe a month before i freaked. I stopped answering his calls and basically ignored him until he got the message... That was just before my fall from grace and sudden onset of PTSD, GAD, OCD, Depression, and SA...
So i guess my situation is a little different, where as i did grow up as a shy kid, i had great friends and a great social life up until that point in my life when i cracked...
Now, I never go out. And because i feel most comfortable alone, i really have NO desire for a boyfriend (or girlfriend for that matter). There are some nights though, i mean i'm only human i've got hormones, lol...
xx

Well I never had a gf, but I've done the same thing with all my friends... Stopped taking their calls until they gave up. I got hit with all my issues a while abck and nothings gotten better. I want a gf, but really I know there's no way I could manage that the way I am now :(

bleach

Banned
Remus said:
From my experience of people with this condition,I think you have social phobia with groups (like I have) or social phobia with one to ones, who knows which is worse :/

Lots of people have both

ah_bon said:
Well I never had a gf, but I've done the same thing with all my friends... Stopped taking their calls until they gave up. I got hit with all my issues a while abck and nothings gotten better. I want a gf, but really I know there's no way I could manage that the way I am now :(

Yep. I've done it to my friends too... they'd call and i wouldn't answer, but it's been a while so i guess they've given up. i don't blame them. i mean really, if i don't even understand, and it's happenig to me, how could i possibly expect them to? i just feel guilty.
i know. how could i manage a relationship if i can't manage to go to school or keep my job or talk to anyone or even leave my room some days?! blah... i really wish i had answers...

user12053

Remus said:

Exactly. I have a girlfriend. It's no big problem one to one... only groups. Thank God! 8O

I totally know where you are coming from. It's all I see. It just makes you feel like EVERYONE has someone and you have no one. I don't think I'll ever have a boyfriend. (god that makes me sound pathetic)

Anyways you just have to keep on keeping on. I think eventually everyone finds someone. Right? :D