Does anyone else feel like they lack creativity/originality?

This has bothered me for a while, but only recently was I able to really put my finger on it. I feel like I don't have a creative bone in my body, and (no exaggeration) I've never had an original thought/idea in my life. Even when it comes to my favorite subject (music), I can't create my own stuff. I've always felt that I have some kind of musical genius- I can play any instrument I pick up, I can sightread music (I can read the sheet music and know exactly what it should sound like in my head), transcribe most music that I hear (put on paper what I'm hearing), and analyze the melodic, rhythmic, and chord structures, but when I try to write my own music, the results are horrible.

This isn't just with music, but with any endeavors... I think it's why I learned to hate art in school, I could never come up with any ideas on what to create. I did enjoy coloring- but of course, the picture itself was drawn by someone else. It also translates into anything I learn- I've always done well with academics, but I attribute that to my memory skills. I've always been great at spelling- once I see a word once or twice, I remember it. I got extra credit in eighth grade English class (I was 14) for memorizing "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe- even 17 years later, I can still visualize the way the 18 stanzas were arranged in the textbook. And I was in the marching band in high school... I never needed to get a lyre to hold my music, I always had it memorized within a few days. I think this is how I've always learned... even with critical thinking or complex problem solving at school, it had to closely match or mirror material I had already worked on.

However, if I'm faced with something that I've never seen before (and isn't similar to anything I've already encountered), I'm a total dunce- not only that, but I completely lose self-confidence and become like a deer in headlights. I could never use the terms "innovative" or "thinks outside the box" to describe myself. I think this is hurting me as far as my employment goes, along with my less than perfect people skills- I feel like mine are actually pretty good (I've worked customer service jobs forever), but I'm not "outgoing," "bubbly," or completely exuding confidence in every situation.

Can anyone else relate? I know it's not just an SA thing, because there are obviously many talented and creative people here. Perhaps I was creative when I was little, and it got stifled to the point of non-existence at an early age due to criticism or whatever... but thinking back, I can't remember any specific incidents that would have done that, and I remember having the inability to come up with my own ideas even in elementary school.

Sorry for the long post, I hope my rambling makes sense. ::p:

omG everything u said makes apsolute sense to me..it sounbds just like me..the being good at stuff u get to know, but not new stuff
and i only remember one summer when i was funny and some poems for creativity.. but its been a while.. so i think i am not very creative and its one of the things that kills me.. i was gonna make a thread..its very weird and I obsess over it..
someone told me there are two kinds of ppl :
1. intellectual and devoted
2. funny, careless..
and that the two together is rare..
and it seems like im becoming less and less creative as I grow and my perosnality forms, but my doctor said humor can never be lost, it' ll just become sophisticated..iunno
:/:/:/
glad u posted tho ..

hippiechild

Neato post, it will be fun to see what others' experiences have been.

I'd say that I have some passable level of creativity. My memory totally sucks though, so I tend to attribute most of my 'creativity' to that: I forget what the hell I'm trying to do, so I just make something up instead. Sometimes this seems to contribute to my lack of grounding in reality... everything is always changing depending on how I look at things, which translates to "what things I'm able to remember and use to shape my worldview at a given moment."

anywayy... creative people are just a bunch of weirdos anyway. You don't want to be like them (us)!

xxaimsxx

I used to follow people because i was scared to be myself. I had to copy people in school on what music to like, clothes to like, how to act.
When i was probably around 15 i started to be myself fully.
But the problem is noone gets me. People say 'creative/original' people have friends and i dont so...
I think im just really unrelatable to other people. Thats why i dont have friends.
Boo hoo and all.. :)

Well, my own experience is that it's something that can be improved. Creativity can be learned to some extent. I mean, I use to be really terrible (never passed) at art, language, maths... etc.

Have you ever tried some of those self-help books to improve creativity? I read dozens of them, maybe even more. I followed the suggestions and it does work for me. Maybe it can help you too. I feel that creativity in the sense of absolutely something JUST from your mind is impossible even for the best geniuses. It's a reorganization of information, sensory or otherwise, into something that is new. This can be done using many techniques, depending on the subject matter.

Well, at least that's what I think.

mrb

why do people strive so hard to be able to be good at evreything , why cant you just be you and enjoy your life , sorry lurk but iv seen people destroy themselves not being able to do what they want to achive what they want out of life , does being really educated make you happy , were does it get you ? money ? fame ? self importance ? iv seen people who have so much money they dont know what to do with it and there as misrable as hell , if you can do and achive all those things , would you sit back in a chair and think yaaa i did that , well yea maybe , but its your own life that matters how happy you are , not what look what iv achived , sorry just my view , lots of spelling errors in there me know:rolleyes:

lunarla

I don't know, I can be relatively creative. But a week after, I'll look back and think anything I produced out of a creative streak was completely dumb.

Last edited:
why do people strive so hard to be able to be good at evreything , why cant you just be you and enjoy your life , sorry lurk but iv seen people destroy themselves not being able to do what they want to achive what they want out of life , does being really educated make you happy , were does it get you ? money ? fame ? self importance ? iv seen people who have so much money they dont know what to do with it and there as misrable as hell , if you can do and achive all those things , would you sit back in a chair and think yaaa i did that , well yea maybe , but its your own life that matters how happy you are , not what look what iv achived , sorry just my view , lots of spelling errors in there me know:rolleyes:

Can't speak for everyone. For myself, it's cause I've been humiliated and will be humiliated for showing weakness or ignorance. It's just the environment I'm in. And I actually like the things I pursue. I agree with you though... Just that when some random person comes in to me and insults me for not being rich or having a great career... I resent that and I want to be vindicated. Or at least stop these morons from continuously trying to beat me up mentally.

But you've a good point in that a person should follow his or her own path. Hmmm... that sounds like what a monk would say.

Thanks for the replies. :)

Dronee, I might just try looking for self-help books the next time I go to the library.

Gary, I didn't get an education to become rich and famous... but it seems like I can't even get a good enough job right now to cover my basic needs. My anxiety about this is really infringing on my usual natural ability to be content/happy/optimistic- and I'm thinking that freezing up and losing confidence when confronted with something new isn't helping me at work.

Chained, I think it totally is about "new" things... it's like my brain just won't see or comprehend something unless I've seen it before and gotten comfortable with it or had someone else explain it for me.

Mokkat

More or less the story of my life. I've always been "talented" with memorizing stuff and learning quickly when presented with stuff. Although I am creative, it is always spontaneous - I am way worse than ordinary people when it comes to planning and organizing any project, I cant even plan a theme to follow when I casually doodle on a piece of paper. Combined with my insane self-critizism, I cannot do or make anything :(

I play music myself btw, and after some beers and in the spur of the moment, I can relax a little and put some great ideas on the table, and even take on a leading role. Im glad that all the guys in my band are my friends, because most other bands I have played in made me so silent and blank-minded that I couldnt contribute with anything

Last edited:

market.garden

I go through phases of thinking I have creativity. I write a lot, and sometimes feel proud of what I've done, other times I think I'm just firing blanks on the creative front.

Tiercel

I don't think I'm all that talented. Yes, I used to write poetry and I try to write songs every now and then, but I'm a terribly harsh critic. So I usually just end up with lots of beginnings and half finished things that I never finish, yet never discard either.

I think my biggest problem is that I want things to be perfect. And as soon as something seems like it won't turn out that way, I give up on it. So instead of writing a good or okay song, I end up canning the whole idea as soon as I'm not completely happy with it.

On that note, is there a lady who wants me to end a relationship with her before she even starts it?

:D