Does anybody on here have zero real friends?

lily

i just recall that i have 1 friend i can go out w/ still.. i'll be able to get her #.. :) Yes 2-3 quality friends would be fine.

PeterO

This is something I think about a lot. I am happily married, so I have one very good friend. I do have a fair number of Facebook friends, and I'm pretty frank about my emotions there, and I always get support. So I feel like those folks are more than just typical online acquaintances. But if I was having a crisis -- say, a major problem with my wife -- I can't think who among them I could call up.

jd90

I have one but we're quite different. We used to play football together (he stopped) same with table tennis. Plus he's moved so he's even further away so unless we both make an effort I can see it drifting away.

Kiwong

my stroke has made me realise I do have friends and family who do care. This last year I have made a lot of progress by exposing myself to situations rather than avoiding them . Now that I have stopped drinking pepsi max, after an 18 year addiction to it, I feel I am closer to the old me, shy but not nuts.

I have made changes to diet and the way I live that helps make it easier to face people, and even enjoy social interaction.

lily

That's great Kiwong! i would like things to go faster in healing than it is going right now. Nice to hear, nice to hear

lily

it's annoying when people ignore me.. i know it's a social anxiety site but it still bothers me

Marc7

I don't have any friends that I consider friends yet. Because I haven't had friends in so long that I don't know what a friend is. But I have one but I didn't contact him yet because I'm scared we will run out of things to talk about eventually. Also I try to make friends online but most people stop talking to me eventually, idk if it is my conversation skills or something I said wrong. Sometimes it is not even that the conversation is going bad and I give them a lot of time to respond. It sucks.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I don't have any friends that I consider friends yet. Because I haven't had friends in so long that I don't know what a friend is. But I have one but I didn't contact him yet because I'm scared we will run out of things to talk about eventually. Also I try to make friends online but most people stop talking to me eventually, idk if it is my conversation skills or something I said wrong. Sometimes it is not even that the conversation is going bad and I give them a lot of time to respond. It sucks.

I suck at conversation, too. Like you, I worry that I'll run out of topics and look boring, so I tend to cut and run.

I have next to no real world experience, so my conversational gas tank hits E pretty quick. I try to bandy the conversation back to the other person, as most people love to talk about themselves, but even that can have its limits.

Marc7

I suck at conversation, too. Like you, I worry that I'll run out of topics and look boring, so I tend to cut and run.

I have next to no real world experience, so my conversational gas tank hits E pretty quick. I try to bandy the conversation back to the other person, as most people love to talk about themselves, but even that can have its limits.

What do you mean by cut and run?

Me too but what makes it worse is that my anxiety prevents me from experiencing a lot of things. Yea at some point you have to talk about yourself. I learned today you could use small talk about weather, arts and entertainment, sports, news, family, work, travel, celebrity gossip, hobbies, and your hometown. If you are well versed in those topics.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
What do you mean by cut and run?

Me too but what makes it worse is that my anxiety prevents me from experiencing a lot of things. Yea at some point you have to talk about yourself. I learned today you could use small talk about weather, arts and entertainment, sports, news, family, work, travel, celebrity gossip, hobbies, and your hometown. If you are well versed in those topics.

I mean that I tend to answer the other person's questions without asking any of my own, until the conversation just dies and I can escape. I don't feed it, I just take. I get so anxious talking to people that I can almost hear a timer ticking in my head like a bomb, lol. "20 seconds to complete embarrassment."

Marc7

I mean that I tend to answer the other person's questions without asking any of my own, until the conversation just dies and I can escape. I don't feed it, I just take. I get so anxious talking to people that I can almost hear a timer ticking in my head like a bomb, lol. "20 seconds to complete embarrassment."

Oh I see. Just suggesting, maybe try asking them questions to keep the conversation going.and use coping skills like positive self talk for anxiety.

lily

that's where i have to try to go to. i haven't tried that yet b/c i've had appts. and still the group. thanks Pug

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
that's where i have to try to go to. i haven't tried that yet b/c i've had appts. and still the group. thanks Pug

Your'e welcome Lily. You and I may not see eye to eye on a few things but I still want you to be ok.