Do you walk funny?

mmmm

Whenever I'm walking in a crowded area and feel like people are staring at me, I lose the rythm in my legs and I have to really concentrate on not falling over. It's like my body runs out of momentum and I have to sing a song in my head and walk to the beat of it or I will end up spinning around or falling on my face or doing something to make people legitimately stare at me. It's insane! anyone else with this problem or something similar?

mmmm

Thanks a lot. I will definitely try that (will probably have to count back from infinity). It's really good to know I'm not the only one

bagota50

Yes this happens to me often.
I get tension in my neck and my head wobbles a bit.
I sort of forget to walk properly- like the millipede who stopped to think about how he coordinated the movement of his limbs.
Oddly enough though, I can run quite fast and gracefully, I only have problems with walking- probably because I have to go slower and make eye contact with people.

mndigi

Yes, used to happen to me too and sometimes feels like it's coming over again. But I enjoy the outsides and it stops bothering me. I enjoy the outsides because staying indoors was like hell for me and I am over it.

Skald

Happens sometimes still, Generally when I walk to the shops and then I get the little twitch's as I try and put it into place and get my stride back, then the quick glances at the cars going past to see if anyone noticed. yeah Totally !

Glumlock

yeah i feel like i have a very "gay" walk.

i mean i don't mind since sexuality wise, i swing both ways, but for some reason i don't want to look as awkward as i feel my walk makes me look.

funkybunk

Some times I'll be all hunched over and walk funny in the halls at school. But I just try to get my confidence up and keep my head up, just keeping my confidence up and saying to myself I look good has helped me a ton.

WelshOne

This only really happens to me when I know I have a crowd of people watching me walk. Like when I was at school, in an exam hall, and they were calling out names for each of us to walk to the front with our papers one at a time. Its like I forgot how to walk and felt really unnatural, but noone commented, laughed or seemed to care so I guess it wasnt visible to others.

I used to walked all slouched and I'd move my legs weirdly and wouldn't swing my arms, so I looked really strange lol

But I've changed that now I walk normally

Tiercel

I usually don't think about it too much, but I'm sure I'll pay more attention to it now. So thanks for making me more self aware. ;)

I used to have a nasty habit of imitating the way others walked when out in public. Whether they staggered, limped, swaggered, shuffled, or leaned on a cane or a shopping cart, I felt the need to do a quick impersonation while walking behind them. I often wondered if anyone was watching on any of the myriad of security cameras that were around, though it didn't really stop me. Age and maturity have mostly cured me of this affliction, though.

Mostly. ;)

FOR REAL

Banned
CONSTANTLY, its actually taken over my life more than anxiety or depression, i am constantly severely dizzy, i have been for brain scans, ear nose and throat clinic, anxiety management and tried every medication under the sun! no joy, and the only thing that gives me any relief are sedatives/benzos but only for a few hours a day.
i have to say though standing still is even worse than walking, for example if i was in a shop in a que i have to hold on to a shelf or something.
its well scarey

Kinetik

I have a bit of an unusual walk. I seem to lack decent motor skills/coordination in general, so I suppose it's not surprising that my gait is a little awkward. People will sometimes say something like "oh, did you hurt your foot?" when I'm out walking, because I guess it looks like I have a slight limp or am purposely not putting weight on my ankle(s).

Lorraine Manca

Yes, especially at graduation. To make it worse, one of the school benefactors was hugging each person after they received their diploma, rather than shaking hands. It was like puzzle without a solution, how to get that piece of paper without having to stumble up on stage and hug an old guy i didnt know in front of crowd. Wobbly, uneven steps all the way up. I was pressured into going.

Yeah it happens to me, but I am also tense, and if my legs get tense I walk funny anyway. I also try not to focus on my walking and just flow natural, I try to convince myself people arent paying too much attention to how I walk, and that there is nothing funny about how I walk. Walking is controlled by a certain part of the brain and its suppose to be automatic, jsut like how you learned to ride a bike or something else. You learn it and do it the same everytime. But its weird that we pay too much attention to doing it "right". So I say, just dont pay attention to it, it comes natural and people dont stare at you and notice anything funny, as you may think. Try to remember this.

Ashiene

if i walk very fast i am able to coordinate my steps, but if i walk too slow i lose control of my legs. its the same as riding a bicycle. if you go fast you are more stable, if you ride a bicycle too slowly, you cannot balance yourself.