Do you hate reality checks?

Luke1993

Hello there. I do not like reality very much. I spoke to my mother today about my hopes and ambitions in life and she told me to "Get real" I don't know why but it always hits me hard when people say that. It makes me very sad when I'm brought into reality. As a matter of fact I'm crying right now as I'm typing this. I don't think I have anything going for me in life. I thought I did have some things, but it's all fantasy. I always fantasise about stuff, but I don't think about what I should be thinking about, reality. I don't think I can cope, I might just have to end it all.

Anyway what are your thoughts on this? Sorry if that was too long, I know I'm not the best at making topics.

Last edited:
1sm094hug3.gif

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I don't know the whole situation, but I think your mom should be more supportive... Those kind of comments are only useful to put people down.

As for reality, I dislike it and it's too overwhelming to me. I'm not sure if i think like this because i'm way too used to live in my unreal space most of the time, or because the place i live in at the moment is too bad, but every time I think about the real world, about the "normal" stuff, about life, etc. it terrifies me.

And please, don't say that. You don't have to end it all... Your mother, as many people, doesn't understand what it means to be in your situation. You are supported here, we understand you. If you need someone to talk to, you can count on me, kay?

I'm always living in that fantasy world. At times, I even feel decently about things and then suddenly my bubble bursts and I have no idea what I'm doing. I wish your mom was more understanding... you have us, though.

What are your hopes and ambitions? I'm sure they're great.

Last edited:

worrywort

yea I HATE reality checks so much. I love drifting off into my own little world. Life is so much better when I imagine what it could be rather than what it actually is. Infact it was Albert Einstein who said "Imagination is more important than knowledge".

I had such a hard time in my late teens/early twenties because they're ages when you're expected to do so much growing up so quickly, and I would consistently feel overwhelmed by it all. But you get there in the end. You just have to take it really slow, like bitesize chunks, and piece by piece you gradually figure it all out. And when you do you feel so much more stronger and confident that it's worth it all in the end.

dooby-duck

Fantsay has a very powerful magnetic force to me. I can't help but get lost in fantasy several times a day, It's a tough habit to break. I think that fantasy is my minds way of protecting itself from all the negativity of reality. Ambitions and dreams are good things to have and give you something to work towards and to live for.

Luke1993

Thank you for......understanding. However I still don't think I can cope with life. I don't know if I will be able to get a job or get an apartment or whatever. And now I am going to drop my course because I am not clever enough, nor do I have hands on skills, (Bad dexterity). Physical stuff is a nono due to my leg disability, which I hope to overcome but am not sure if I will be able to. I sometimes read, but now I have some sort of degenerative eye condition, so I've been having a fair bit of trouble, (That's why I've been making a few spelling mistakes!)

And the icing on the cake, bad social skills! I just don't know what to do. I've no talents, friends or ambitions. And it makes me very sad. I don't feel like I was meant to be.I want to overdose on some pills but I can't even swallow pills for some reason (Even though I want to) how pathetic is that? I'm just so lonely.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
And the icing on the cake, bad social skills! I just don't know what to do. I've no talents, friends or ambitions. And it makes me very sad. I don't feel like I was meant to be.I want to overdose on some pills but I can't even swallow pills for some reason (Even though I want to) how pathetic is that? I'm just so lonely.

You do have friends here. You are not alone dude, we are here for you! :)

U

userremoved

I found out that a lot of times it's best to not share your dreams and fantasies with just anyone. A lot of people don't like to see other succeed in anything, so if you tell them your ambitions they just might crush them to drag you down. Now that I'm almost 30 I find it hard to enjoy the fantasies I used to have, but it's nice to have a "Happy place" to go to when things are rough. I think it's a good way to protect your mind when it's under too much stress.

Silvox Black

Having dreams, ambitions, fantasies is not something wrong or incorrect. It is in fact a normal impulse. What you should be wary of is losing yourself in them. You should not cut yourself away from what reality is because a denial of truth is one of the worst things you can committ to yourself. What I have found is to find a balance between practicality and dreams. Find a path where you can use your abilities, push onward in your learning to make those dreams a reality. When you combine logic and passion with a dash of emotion in the slew, you create an unstoppable force.

the problem isn't in fantasies... u can fantasy but u need to work on ur fantasies and not all at once.. find out the smallest thing u can do about them and succeed it...bit by bit.. no use in wanting it all in once... even "normal" people can't do that.. u want an apartment of ur own.. what's the first thing to do.. solve every problem bit by bit.. are u seeing a therapist.. cuz it sounds like u aren't. I use to fantasy all the time.. now I don;t... that much anyway.. :) good luck

sabbath

Banned
Cash in those reality checks and buy yourself some comic books :p There's nothing wrong with fantasy and imagination. Plenty of people make a living making things up. Without dreamers this would be a very boring world.

lyricalliaisons

I think it's good to always have hopes & dreams, even if they seem far-fetched. It gives the person having them hope, & hope is a good, & very powerful thing. I have a lot of hopes, dreams, & goals, &, though most, if not all, seem far-fetched, & as if they're never going to happen, I'm still not going to let go of them because they keep me going & give me something to look forward to & hope for my future.

Cash in those reality checks and buy yourself some comic books :p There's nothing wrong with fantasy and imagination. Plenty of people make a living making things up. Without dreamers this would be a very boring world.

Here, here!! I totally agree Sabbath!:)

Luke1993

Okay so right now I have walked out of my course and gone home. None of my family is here right now but I expect when they do come back they'll be so ashamed of me. Because they think intelligence is the only skill I have, and I don't have that anymore! I dont know what im going to do next. I suppose I'll just try and get a normal job. I don't have a prolem with that but I know my family will. I want to move out as soon as I can and get away from them. I realise now I don't have the guts to kill myself.

At the same time now I have quit my course I feel happier, at peace almost.

klytus

Reality checks are good, as long as they are reasonable. Telling a child that he will never achieve his goals is reckless and may cause him to eventually fail his life. Not because he would have achieved his dreams, but because the human nature is such that without aspirations there is no intrinsic motivation - and it is precisely this which is needed to succeed in life.