do you find ambition in a partner an attractive trait?

onehandclapping

I'm kind of not bothered about this, some people say how they find it really attractive but to me it isn't important and in some ways i'd prefer a person with little interest in being ambitious.

GraybeardGhost

I had a girlfriend in college who was exceptionally ambitious. She was absolutely determined to succeed in her chosen field, and she didn't care whom she trampled on her way to the top. That "whom" turned out to be me. I no longer find ambition an especially attractive trait in a woman—admirable, perhaps, but not attractive. However, a slacker with no ambition at all—like me—is not very appealing either. Show me someone more middle-of-the-road, and I might be interested. Just don't make me go out and look for her.

Last edited:

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Depends on the ambition, depends on how far they'd get to achieve it.

If it's studying a career, getting better at something, doing it in a way that doesn't hurt themselves or anyone else, then it's fine in my book.

Lamb

I find it attractive, unless they're burning themselves out with something and direct the stress onto me. It may also cause envy.

Depends on what we're talking about. Ambition to do something to make his life feel purposeful? Sure. A desire to make a decent (but not necessarily hefty) income? Absolutely. It's not something I specifically look for, though. Passion for life and a sense of direction is more important (although I myself am often lacking both of them, especially the latter).

paperie

I find it attractive to a point, as long as there is balance and they don't become obsessive. It inspires me to want to be better and not just settle. I admire hard work, not really social climbing type of ambition. It's also nice to be with someone who can kick back and feel okay with bouts of mediocrity. In my experience though, most ambitious men are pretty emotionally unavailable. The last one I dated was mostly just ambitious because he had daddy issues and was seeking his father's approval by doing whatever he said.