do you create a fantasy world?

tinkerpunk5802

So. I took this personality test:
Personality Disorder Test - Personality Test

And the info it gave about avoidant personality disorder said that avoidants often create very detailed fantasy or alternative worlds. I was amazed because I do this! Ive done it since I was like 12. I created a world where I was a famous singer with a thousand friends and no problems. I always thought by the time I was in high school I would out grow this stage and imagination stuff. But now I'm almost 18 and I still do it. I guess its a way for me to escape and pretend I have real friends. The info on the website said thats a symptom of avoidant personality disorder.

So. Ive always felt really embarrassed about it and no one knows, but I figured I could talk about it here. So. Do you guys ever do that?

Last edited:

Duzmiu

i have random fantasy dreams where i live a normal life with my own place car and loads of friends, i picture that alot thinking about.

my main fantasy or rather my fav one is im back in a time similar to LoTr, not the same as LoTr but a mixture or monsters and creatures from all kinds or fantasy style things ive watched and played. there im a warrior in it im always in a light black leather with silver lacing with 2 swords across my back and a shortbow made of white coloured wood or im in light plate armour with a huge spear or 2handed mace depends on the situation.
ive spent hours caught up in my fantasy world before didnt even realise it untill i checked the time

personally i dont see anything wrong with it, i see it as having a strong imagination. nothing wrong with that no matter the age
oh and im 21 and have these alot so dont worry about feeling embarrassed about it, ive always shown everyone my imagination and been called immature for it theres only 2 replies to something like "beats being a stuck up bitch like you" that one works best
or "everyone has an inner child, im just not afraid to show mine" ofc if your not comfortable saying either just smile and carry on with what you were doing

edit: just did that test and i wouldnt go by what it said i scored high in all of them except 2 that were moderate

Last edited:

blackgatescross

Yes, I have done so for as long as I can remember. When I was younger, I fantasized that I was a lot more confident and popular.

Now that I am older, I fantasize that I am independent and successful, and that I don't suffer from any kind of mental illnesses of any way, shape or form.

Xervello

Thanks for posting this, tinkerpunk! I do the same thing, but I thought it was just part of my weird personality. Sometimes I'll watch a movie and spend moments throughout the day imagining I'm a famous director or writer; and I'll come up with ideas for the movies I make. And those ideas led to stories I've written. Or I'll listen to music and imagine I'm a famous songwriter; then I come up with ideas for songs. And those led to me learning how to play music and write poetry. So I've always encouraged myself whenever I fantasize, but, yes, I knew it was partly a denial of my lackluster reality. Though I didn't know it was tied to avoidant personality disorder. So kudos for bringing that to my attention. :D

If you don't mind talking about it, can you describe some of what your fantasy world is like?

tinkerpunk5802

Thanks guys!
I just get lost for hours. Like school work doesn't get done because of it.
I feel weird about it. Everyone around me seems so normal. I'm glad I can talk on here. I spend my spare time in my fantasy world. Like I'd rather sit at home in my fantasy world than be out with friends. Because of this, its hard for me to imagine what "normal people" do in their spare time. I love being in my world. I have like a million friends, a boyfriend, talent, and I'm beautiful. I'd much rather be home in my fantasy world than out at the movies with friends or something.

EzyRyder

Video games are my fantasy. I've said for years that in the real world im a nobody, the kinda guy people let doors close on. In "my" world I've saved the entire galaxy, won countless races and trophies, survived wars, and fought through the seven circles of Hell. To 'normal' people, we're dreamers, nerds, geeks, whatever. In our own worlds, we're Kings (and queens).

YellowBird

yes,when i was around that age,i loved singing and i always imagined being famous and all those classmates and teachers who seemed to ignore me would appreciate me and see "the real me".i'm 24 now and sometimes i get lost in my elaborate fantasy world,my dreams are very vivid and realistic,i dream every night and if i skip a nights sleep,i feel empty,not because of tiredness that much as because i didn't get to dream,my doctor warns me to not give in too much in my fantasy,i think he believes i'll become psychotic if i do.

planemo

Yep, i've done that since i was fairly young. the one thing i want most is people around me who genuinely care for me, so i suppose i think about living with a family who isn't dysfunctional.

i often fantasize about being a professional soccer player or rugby player and winning a world cup and so on...

also i think about being a normal functioning person, having a great supportive wife and kids who fill my life with joy.

But generally I want to be someone I'm not, someone I would like to be, but just don't have the confidence to be so.

MrSunday

I do...to escape from the horrors of this real stupid world. Like I give a dam about this planet, full of loud, obnoxious and stupid son of a bitches.

I love my fantasy world. That is what I do most of my time. Just daydream about my own world...

Flowers-Of-Bloom

Yeah, I've been doing that since I was about 5 years old. But I'm not a part of my fantasy world. My fantasy is a place where I don't exist. But it is by no means an ideal world. I've always loved creating stories and characters, so that's what I do when I have nothing better to do.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

I've done this long as can remember. I get why it'd be a symptom of AvPD since you avoid thus retract inward. But it's a sign of good things too. It's bad and imo a sign of AvPD WHEN u prefer to go into your fantasy creations rather than the real world and face/interact in RL. I've had that happen to me at times. Perhaps why I love/aspire to write or act.

But it can be a distraction it's like a hyperrealism. But nowadays I prefer to try to go into RL and use my imagination and fantasy worlds in writing and etc. But when you're in times of being alone and not doing much it can be tough.

Yes, I do. It started when I was 14 in grade 9 and I had absolutely no friends at school and no social life. Even though I've gotten slightly better, I still go along with it from time to time.

When I was little I drew myself in several fantasy worlds all the time, but it felt sorta empty because I never experienced those things. Sometimes I daydream about a fantasy world, but it never gets far because I'm very absent-minded.

Srijita52

I've done this long as can remember. I get why it'd be a symptom of AvPD since you avoid thus retract inward. But it's a sign of good things too. It's bad and imo a sign of AvPD WHEN u prefer to go into your fantasy creations rather than the real world and face/interact in RL. I've had that happen to me at times. Perhaps why I love/aspire to write or act.

But it can be a distraction it's like a hyperrealism. But nowadays I prefer to try to go into RL and use my imagination and fantasy worlds in writing and etc. But when you're in times of being alone and not doing much it can be tough.
I've tried to write down my fantasies but its so hard for me to express them properly plus I'm way too lazy.

Srijita52

Thanks guys!
I just get lost for hours. Like school work doesn't get done because of it.
I feel weird about it. Everyone around me seems so normal. I'm glad I can talk on here. I spend my spare time in my fantasy world. Like I'd rather sit at home in my fantasy world than be out with friends. Because of this, its hard for me to imagine what "normal people" do in their spare time. I love being in my world. I have like a million friends, a boyfriend, talent, and I'm beautiful. I'd much rather be home in my fantasy world than out at the movies with friends or something.
I can completely relate to you. I think many "normal" people prefer to daydream too. I know some so called popular people who daydream a lot, you're not weird because of it. But it can be a problem if you've no control over your daydreams and start avoiding things that are important to you. Its just like any other addiction.

Lonelykitsune

Yeah, I've been doing that since I was about 5 years old. But I'm not a part of my fantasy world. My fantasy is a place where I don't exist. But it is by no means an ideal world. I've always loved creating stories and characters, so that's what I do when I have nothing better to do.

Same, I'm never in my fantasy worlds at all. Though the characters I have in my head do go through things I'm doing at the minute, like exams or rock climbing etc, as well as impossible things.

I have a few different ones going on that I dip into when I daydream. Some are happy kind of 'stories' and others are really dark with lots of despair .

I used to wonder if I could write them done, maybe a novel or something but it's too incoherent. And I borrow heavily from books, films, games etc.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Yes, definitely. I have in the past made very elaborate fantasies for myself, some that I played out in my head for days or weeks, maybe even a month or two (not all I could think about, just recurring like I'm writing a story). Sometimes they're more realistic and plausible, based in reality in a way, and other times they are completely, well, fantasy and include elements that only happen in imagination.

I have noticed when my reality is better, the fantasy worlds are less prominent in my thoughts, or they become more based off reality and things that may actually happen.

VitalSign

i do this too! ive done it for as long as i can remember..one of my favorite fantasies is where im a black wolf and i live as someones pet ^_^ its really nice there...