Do you avoid social situations that cause you anxiety?

Do you avoid social situations that cause you anxiety?

• Yes/Always

Votes: 48 56.5%
  • No/Never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 37 43.5%

• Total voters

Perfidion

Vote: Sometimes.

I won't go to parties. I hate parties. I'm awful at parties and that's not ever going to change. Other than that, I'm nowhere near as dysfunctional as I used to be.

iamthenra

I try to avoid parties... If I am at a party, and I see any good looking girls there, I will leave feeling depressed... Depressed enough to kill myself. So I usually try to avoid parties for obvious reasons.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Yes/always, assuming avoiding them doesn't bring on more anxiety than not avoiding. If I skip class I would then have to talk to someone about what I missed, or lose credit, which would be more anxiety, not less.

I'm not sure if I really avoid social situations- mostly I just never have opportunities/invitations to be a part of any. But I probably would avoid them, unless they involved people that I know pretty well and am already comfortable with.

These days I usually go and put up with it. I always reserve the right to comfortably say no, I don't want to feel trapped in my thinking that I should go to a social outing because it will do me good or whatever. I want it to be a choice.

Ignace

When I'm not at school or work, I'm home. If those 2 were options and not obligations, I would be totally isolated.

KiaKaha

Banned
Usually...but not always. Every now and then I get an opportunity to go out, or meet people. I do *try* but I am not very good at it all. I am usually quiet, and noticeably uncomfortable and incredibly awkward... especially if attention gets directed at me as to how quiet I am. Afterwards I usually feel very emabrrassed or bad about how it all went, and then wont go out for days/weeks. Most of the time I avoid but that also makes me unhappy.

Snowdrop

It depends. Most of the time, yes I will avoid going to parties/social invites etc.etc. Just because it's easier and I won't have to face being humiliated or feeling as if I'm judged for being too silent or saying something stupid or weird.
But sometimes I will feel pressured to go and I will because I'll think to myself...but, wait, my former self wouldn't have done this. I would have been so pumped to go a party. I'd feel like I owe it to my past self to go and at least try to have fun. Yet at the same time I will always feel isolated and judged at least once during the social event.