Did your parents express gratitude toward you?

Did your parents express gratitude toward you growing up?

• Frequently

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Rarely

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Never

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dottie

Growing up, did your parents express gratitude toward you? Did they say "thank you" if you did something like mopping or doing yard work?

GraybeardGhost

Rarely, as I recall. My mother, in particular, was more inclined to express disappointment, anger, even rage if I failed to get things done or to do them as well as expected. To be fair, my memory of those days is not as perfect or as clear as it might be, so I could be mistaken. Nonetheless, the phrase "we're very disappointed" still echoes in my head after all these years and cuts me to the quick every time.

Last edited:
Rarely for my mom. She did act sad one time after beating me with the buckle end of a belt. She should have, I was bleeding quite a bit. This was years before she was on medication. She never acknowledged when I'd wash dishes or mow the grass or whatever. That's O.K.... one day I'll get to choose her nursing home :sarcastic:

goblin

Rarely, as I recall. My mother, in particular, was more inclined to express disappointment, anger, even rage if I failed to get things done or to do them as well as expected. To be fair, my memory of those days is not as perfect or as clear as it might be, so I could be mistaken. Nonetheless, the phrase "we're very disappointed" still echoes in my head after all these years and cuts me to the quick every time.

Likewise. I was constantly being told what I was doing wrong when she paid attention to me at all. The phone usually won out.