Describing Depression

JosephG

At the best of times I often really struggle to explain to people what I'm going through. I often struggle to work out myself what I'm going through - and sometimes all the symptoms and descriptors online just don't seem to match up properly and it can feel like you are going through it alone or your depression is different.
anyway I found this list online and I was astonished at how well I felt it described what I go through. I would probably put a tick next to most of the following set of descriptors. Just thought I'd share it here. I feel it helps to answer a very complex question: What does depression feel like?

for me it's most of that list

What does depression feel like? | Wing of Madness Depression Guide Depression Symptoms, Causes and Treatment

haven't posted here in a while. been trying to get as much time away from the internet as possible! It has helped :) oh and I've got a face to face meeting with a mental health well-being practitioner on the 28th. I am very much looking forward to it. anyway yeah...
x

Phoenixx

I, too, have a hard time expressing myself. It's not so much I don't know how I feel as it is just trying to tell someone or even trying to put those feelings out there.

Great website, and a very interesting list. Thanks for sharing that! I hope your meeting goes well, good luck. :)

philly2bits

Thanks for the list JosephG. Of course a simple list of symptoms can't really express how it feels to experience depression does it? And with depression making it harder to express oneself anyway it goes in a circle.

JosephG

thanks phoenix! :) hope you are keeping well

and yeah I totally agree - Only having been through it - can you truly know how it feels but I definitely think this list helps me put what I personally go through into words better than I could :)

Hastings & Main

Wow, that's a good list.

I always find when trying to describe it - or even understand it while I'm going through it - is like trying to grab sand shifting around your feet in the waves.
Mentally, it just feels like that...

Shant

I'm awful at expressing myself with words. Dreadful at it.

But the word "abyss" comes to mind with depression. Trapped in a dark, painful, hopeless abyss, with no way out.

A single ambition is the one thing keeping me from falling into depression at the moment. In depression, there is no ambition. Voices all over tell you, "ambition is pointless."

I try to explain. :p