day dreaming/ imagining situations

Gaucho

hi everyone, I'm not sure if a similar thread already exists.

i day dream much, or imagine situations, many times ideal situations, and sometimes ones which turns out very bad.

So today i was in class, there were +-200 students, as usual in this class, and i was imagining how a old friend(from the country i lived before) calls me, he actually doesn't even have my number in real life. So i answer the phone in class and start talking to him, then he tells me a thief entered my house in that country( were i haven't been for months) and stole and broke nearly the entire house. So i go crazy in class and stand up, and start talking(nearly screaming in spanish) what a basterd that guy who robbed in our house was, everyone notices how i speak spanish in the class and that makes me feel somehow special/important, because of the fact they don't understand me but I'm kinda exotic.LOL.
so i run down the stairs in class, run to the door and kick(break the door).
I was thinking of this situation for like 30 min and couldn't focus what the professor was saying.

does similar thing happen to you?

Boby

Every time man :D....for me it's a problem in fact because I kinda find shelter from my life in my dreams/imagination far to often.

MikeyC

I get this when I'm on downtime and I have nothing else to think about. I can take a situation that happened and then make a whole story of it.

I usually think about bad things, though, like death.

Fighter86

I believe similar threads have been made. I daydream all the time as well, in fact since the time I was a kid. Mostly about friendships/ relationships or just even interation with colleagues.

AGR

Thats funny,I usually keep imagining funny situations,so sometimes people catch me smiling alone which is embarrassing.

I daydream alot too, especially situations like girlfriends, friends and an ideal "me". I think because we find it so hard to be these kinds of people we try the next best thing and just imagine ourselves as these people.

WeirdyMcGee

I suppose I might...
My real problem is that I have difficulty distinguishing things as real memories or 'manufactured' ones that I've used to block out true events.

sumone

its pretty normal

"scientific studies involving beepers and diaries suggest that an average daydream is about fourteen seconds long and that we have about two thousand of them per day. In other words, we spend about half of our waking hours — one-third of our lives on earth — spinning fantasies."

The Storytelling Animal: The Science of How We Came to Live and Breathe Stories | Brain Pickings

but for me personally, to help with SA, i've had to cut down on them. sometimes you lose track of reality & become less productive

Silatuyok

I used to daydream a lot as a kid, until I got into trouble for doing it at school. It's one of those things I had to stop doing in order to fit into the real world.