Cyberbullying!!

decadent88

Has any of guys here been a victim of internet-bullying?? My friend is being harassed (not only facebook but her blogs, various sites) and bullied over the internet seriously for past few years. Her ignore list filled up pretty quickly and she reported several to site admins. But she was not spared... they just kept popping up.. and pretty recently things have gotten kinda out of hand... This is taking a toll on her mind.

How to cope with these trolls?? Do I tell her to stop surfing altogether??? If not, how to cope?

Pls do reply if you have anything to say..

WeirdyMcGee

I think if it's something she can't deal with- she should remove herself from the situation entirely.

They say that if a troll gets no reaction, they'll stop.
So, in theory-- if she went offline for a couple of months, these bullies may just forget about her completely.
It's probably for the best to live offline as much as possible, anyway.
Do constructive things, learn, play - live.

Being online can be fun but if it's damaging to your self esteem and mental health, it's better to step back for awhile.

Kat

Save all the messages that have been sent and if the bullying is severe report it, bullying of any kind is usually illegal but you have more solid evidence.

coyote

....Being online can be fun but if it's damaging to your self esteem and mental health, it's better to step back for awhile.

true - i recently got this warning from my browser

you-have-been-online-for-1-year-ffbbc_large.jpg

Nyxy

I feel that there is not enough context provided to give adequate advice, so don't be offended by what I'm going to say because my response is from the mentioning of her having her ignore lists filled up quickly and the assumption that these people included in those lists are all different individuals. Normally, from personal experience and what I've observed, you do not receive excessive cyberbullying behavior unless you conduct yourself in a way through text messages that places you in that type of situation. An example would be constantly conveying strong controversial opinions, degrading/offending others without consciously realizing it, or even going against societal "norms" when it comes to interactions. Either that, or the person/people bullying knows you in real life and is specifically targeting you across any social networking activities, which is something that should be recorded and reported in real life. That would be awful though, if it was a stranger on the internet who decided to choose an online person at random and make a living hell for him or her. I also agree with another poster that people almost always stop harassing online if it elicits no response after a period of time.

You don't necessarily need to participate in online social networking to enjoy the internet, either. :p

Last edited:

decadent88

I have said this "retreat" thing to her A THOUSAND TIMES! Seriously if you get harassed over the internet.. KEEP OFF THE INTERNET! How hard could it be? But she won't listen.. this 'social networking' s**t is eating her up!

As I have never been cyberbullied, she finds this as point to retort back, that I cannot understand what she's going through and how hard it is to keep away from blogging, vlogging... etc..

Really I don't understand. Real life bullying has been my companion for a lifetime! Here is no 'ignore' button to push! I have to face and endure every nightmare.

Thank you guys for replying though. Imma say this to her one more time, try to reason, else i'm done with her whining anyway.

gaddie

Hiya, I feel sorry for your sister. I also feel that yes, if she were to ignore them they would stop picking on her. Than again, this might not happen but only aggreviate the situation as you teach people how to treat you and to not do anything teaches the bullies that it is perfectly okay to carry on doing what they are doing.

I would recommend that she reports it to the social networking sites where the bullying takes place, aka facebook, bebo. Let them know which accounts are doing this and show them the records. This will result in them being banned from it. Furthermore, report it to the police. Just because it is cyber, doesn't mean that it is above the law.

Cyber bullies are cowards in that they can't even face their target but can really only bully miles away from a computer. If your sister knows who it is (perhaps a school colleague) than report them to the school as well police. The longer she leaves it, the more they'll think it is okay to carry on in this cowardly behaviour.

gaddie

Hiya, I feel sorry for your sister. I also feel that yes, if she were to ignore them they would stop picking on her. Than again, this might not happen but only aggreviate the situation as you teach people how to treat you and to not do anything teaches the bullies that it is perfectly okay to carry on doing what they are doing.

I would recommend that she reports it to the social networking sites where the bullying takes place, aka facebook, bebo. Let them know which accounts are doing this and show them the records. This will result in them being banned from it. Furthermore, report it to the police. Just because it is cyber, doesn't mean that it is above the law.

Cyber bullies are cowards in that they can't even face their target but can really only bully miles away from a computer. If your sister knows who it is (perhaps a school colleague) than report them to the school as well police. The longer she leaves it, the more they'll think it is okay to carry on in this cowardly behaviour.

Good luck
Alex
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beat-Bully-...JO8K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317905437&sr=8-1

Agent_Violet

I got cyberbullied by a group of...wait for it...middle aged soccer moms. ;)

they made my life a living hell online for a very long time. I basically had to cancel and delete every single shred of my presence online for about a year before they found some other poor soul to cybertorture.

we_r_eternal

reporting this to police is horrible advice.. never get police involved in your business.. they don't help with anything, and they only escalate situations....

Agent_Violet

reporting this to police is horrible advice.. never get police involved in your business.. they don't help with anything, and they only escalate situations....

I don't think it's horrible advice:confused: I think it honestly depends on how extreme the bullying is...these situations escalate quickly enough on their own and sometimes even the threat of involving the police is enough to make the bullies back off.

maybe if the police had been called on cases like that girl who hung herself in the closet bc of cyberbullying, she'd still be alive.