Could this be the end of your suffering?

Kyle_rg

Hey everyone,

I just stumbled upon this forum and I feel that I really need to share my story. I’ve been digging around here and it seems like there’s a lot of people that are still trapped in the intense suffering that I used to experience. This is just my perspective on what has worked for me.

I’m 24 years old now and I’ve finally overcome almost all of my social anxiety and depression issues.

I no longer have awful mood swings or panic attacks. I rarely get depressed or anxious anymore. I feel alive and happy most of the time, for no real reason it seems.

I used to have the worst mood swings, depression and anxiety imaginable. I had all the symptoms of bipolar disorder, social anxiety disorder as well as what they call borderline personality disorder. It seems that these “disorders” are just the manifestation of believing thoughts that are not true.

I was extremely unhappy as a child and throughout most of high school. I cried all the time and rarely ever felt good about myself. I have had many, many days of feeling like there’s no point in living anymore. I used to cut myself. I’ve had nights where I can’t sleep because my heart is pounding so fast and the stream of negative thoughts just won’t stop. I’ve had panic attacks that caused me to run from job interviews and bail out at the last minute from dates, parties and other social gatherings. I’ve had that numbing depression that makes you lose interest in absolutely everything for weeks at a time. I can’t count the number of times I’ve had that horrible empty feeling in my chest after the end of a relationship. You know that feeling where you just can’t fill the void and it seems like you would be better off dead, and you can’t stop thinking about the person that left you.

I have a hard time believing how different I am now. During my worst depressions and anxiety attacks, I could not imagine being the way I am now. If someone told me that one day you’re going to get over this and feel happy and alive most of the time, I would have said bullsh*t.

I have had a shift in consciousness, which seems to be the key to ending all mind created suffering. If you bring the root causes of social anxiety into the light, the problem goes away. I’ve decided to dedicate my time to helping people do just that. I don’t want anyone to feel the way I used to feel anymore.

In my opinion, there is probably nothing physically wrong with you. Medication does not seem to be the key in solving your issues, although more research on the human brain is needed to confirm this. You just have to see for yourself that your anxiety causing thoughts are not true. Most of these thoughts are so buried inside of you that you get depressed and anxious and you don’t even know why. I want to bring those thoughts into the light of your consciousness so you can finally let go of them.

The trick is not to try to stop thinking, but to realize for yourself that many of your thoughts are not true and do not serve you any purpose. Then the old thoughts will come up again and you simply don’t believe them anymore. They will let go of you.

I believe the root cause of social anxiety is the thought that you need the approval and acceptance of others to be happy. Not only that, but you may believe that you can actually get someone’s approval and that their approval is important.

Here’s a key exercise that is based on what I learned from a book called “I Need Your Love, Is That True?” by Byron Katie. I'm not saying that this exercise is going to solve all your problems or something, but I'm pretty sure it had a big effect on me when I wrote it out.

Basically, you take a thought that is causing you anxiety and depression, and you work through it until it no longer has the power to make you upset. It’s really easy to do and can stop anxiety and depression very fast, like it did with me.

The process of questioning goes like this:

Try to identify a thought that causes you to feel a negative emotion. Then ask yourself the following questions:

1) Is this thought true?
2) Can I absolutely know that this thought is true?
3) How do I react when I believe this thought?
4) Can I think of a positive, stress free reason to keep believing this thought?
5) Then find reasons to support the opposite of the thought, if possible.

I will use the thought “I need the approval and acceptance of others to be happy” as an example. If you have social anxiety, you surely believe in this thought, even though it is buried deep in your subconscious. It’s not like you walk up to a group of people and say to yourself “I need the approval of these people to be happy”, no, you just automatically feel nervous and you don’t even know why. I’m just speaking from experience here.

Here’s an exact copy of when I first did this exercise:

Thought:

“I need the approval and acceptance of others to be happy”

1) Is this thought true?

Yes, it seems to be true. I feel really good when people seem to like me and approve of me.

2) Can I absolutely know that this thought is true?

Well, no, I guess not. I can’t absolutely know that the thought is true I guess.

3) How do I react when I believe this thought?

Oh god. Well, I’d feel very nervous around you. I’d constantly worry about what you think of me. I would try to get you to like and approve of me by trying to change who I am. I would worry about making you upset, because you might not like me or approve of me. I would feel like you’re better than me. I would always compare myself to you. If you got angry at me or rejected me, I’d feel intense anxiety and depression. I would not be able to stop thinking about it. I would not speak much because I would be afraid that what I have to say might bore you, or even worse, offend you. I would be afraid to tell you what I like and don’t like, because you might not agree. I would avoid you. I might even hate you, especially if you don’t seem to suffer from the same anxiety that I do. I’d be afraid to call you because I might feel like I am a burden to you and you wouldn’t want to hear from me anyways. I’d be afraid of silence in a conversation because I might look dumb. I would always worry about how I looked. I would try to be perfect, all the time, in order not to upset you. I would avoid conflict in my life. I would never really listen to you if we talked, because I’d be mentally preparing what I’m going to say next while you’re speaking. I would be very indecisive, because I’d always be worrying about whether or not you approve of my decisions. I would always be trying to please people. If I have people over and they don’t have a good time, I would feel as though it’s my fault. I would not be able to say no to anything you asked me to do, because I would fear you not liking me or rejecting me. I’d feel like I need medication because I might even think there’s something wrong with me, which is probably not true.

I would never fulfill my dreams, for fear of disapproval.

I would feel dead.

4) Can I think of a positive, stress free reason to keep believing this thought that I need your approval to be happy?

Wow. No. I can’t think of one way in which believing this thought does not cause me anxiety, pain and depression. I guess I can drop it.

5) Can I find reasons to support the opposite of the thought?

I can now see that it’s much truer that I don’t need your approval and acceptance to be happy. If I try to get you to like me, I feel anxiety and depression. I see now that even if I tried, I could never get you to like me. People are always going to have an opinion of me and that will always be 100% out of my control. If someone gets angry at me or does not like me, that is their problem. I can’t actually make someone angry, it’s their choice. I can’t make someone like me, that’s their choice, no matter how “nice” I am. I can’t even make someone attracted to me, I don’t control that. All that I ever have 100% control over is myself.

I found that after doing a few of these exercises, my anxiety would still come up, except that it was no longer a problem. I still get nervous when I have to speak in front of a group of people, but it’s not a big deal. The reason it’s no longer a problem is because I know exactly what’s causing the anxiety. This prevents anxiety from turning into depression.

This is just one of the many unconscious thoughts that cause us anxiety and depression. Let me know if this made you feel better and if you have any questions

Last edited:

Silvox Black

Your thoughts have merit yes, and for some, no medication is needed. However do not assume that your conclusions are the only ones. The study of the human mind is a relatively young field. We are still making new discoveries. I am certain that many here appreciate your enthusiasm, but I merely warn you not to overwhelm others with such information or intimidate them with your beliefs. Not that you were doing that, I am simply advising you.

Kyle_rg

Your thoughts have merit yes, and for some, no medication is needed. However do not assume that your conclusions are the only ones. The study of the human mind is a relatively young field. We are still making new discoveries. I am certain that many here appreciate your enthusiasm, but I merely warn you not to overwhelm others with such information or intimidate them with your beliefs. Not that you were doing that, I am simply advising you.

I agree with you, and yes, I could always be wrong. I guess it kind of seems like everything I was saying was fact. I just wanted to state what has worked for me, this is just my perspective. I made an edit to my post because I think you're right that some people may benefit from certain medications, but I think that the vast majority of us do not need medication, just a change in thinking.

mart22n

Really nice thread, Kyle. Classic CBT, but it seems to work for many people.

The only trick here that I've found is to be CONSISTENT with working on your thoughts. When 2 years ago I was regularly visiting a psychologist, that was exactly the kind of mental exercise I had to do. I'm thinking of picking up these exercises again since depression is slowly creeping back again.

Again, consistency is the key.

Great thread, I have used this technique in certain situations in the past, but it really helped for it all to be clarified in that short article just to remind me to keep at it. I'm in the middle of recovering from agoraphobia and panic so this just really cheered me up and made me feel positive about an exam I have later in the week that I've been worrying about unnecessarily, associating negativity with it constantly. But I'm trying to focus on all the good things that will come out of doing the exam, which FAR outweigh those negative thoughts I'm having.

Kyle_rg

Yea, totally know what you guys mean about depression creeping back in! That will happen if you're not consistent with this. It still happens to me a little bit, but the frequency of depressions gets fewer every month, it's great :) This month I think I was depressed and anxious for a total of maybe 5 hours. I used to be deeply depressed for 2/3 of the month. I might get depressed again, but it's no longer a big problem, I don't resist it much anymore. I just let it be. I can't say that doing this exercise was the only thing that made me feel better, but it seemed to be a big help

Last edited:

Nicholas

That is cognitive therapy, basically. It is good, but it has a limit.
It is good for finding out negative thoughts that are false, and try to get rid of them. But at some point you'll reach a point where something is actually true, and that happens very often. If you try to use this approach anyway, forcing yourself to be optimistic and forcing yourself to see "truths" as "lies", then you'll probably end up making some big mistakes.

Example:
Negative thought: No girl will ever like me, I'm a real loser. Who the hell likes someone with generalized hyperhidrosis? I can't even go out in the sun, in the spring I already start sweating like I'm in the desert in the summer, and sweat drops run down my face, which every girl finds gross.

Is that negative thought true? Not really, so we can change it. We can change "every girl" with "the vast majority of girls". How much is that? 98%? Probably. Maybe 99%, I don't know, but you can easily make up some statistics based on "facts". Then you might think that it's not true that someone is a "real loser", but again, there are some "facts" that can prove it.

So, in other words, using cognitive techniques, you might get rid of negative false thoughts, but you are also going to find out negative true thoughts. This means some negative thoughts are actually true. The fact someone is a loser might be "statistically" true. The fact someone is ugly might be "statistically" true. So you can't change those thoughts, you can't get rid of them, because they're true facts, and you need to take them into account.

At that point, the only thing a person can do is accept the facts, try to change the situation if possible, and also improve themselves if necessary. If 99% of the girls won't like me, then I'll have to accept the fact it'll be harder for me to find the right girl. If I'm a loser with no life, I need to get a life. If no one around here seems to accept me, then I'll need to move somewhere else and try to meet completely different kinds of people.
And this is a whole different story, because this is where the real problem lies: we are afraid of changes, so we all know what we should do and we've been knowing it for a while, but we don't do anything anyway. I'm still trying to find a way to solve this problem... I'm scared of changing my life, too many risks to take.

Last edited:

Kyle_rg

Why do you need to enter your email address if it's free? :p

Just to notify people if I make new blog posts and if I ever finish writing the full version of the free book that's on the site. I might not, who knows. I think it could help people. The moderators can remove the site link if they don't like it, no problem

Kyle_rg

Example:
Negative thought: No girl will ever like me, I'm a real loser. Who the hell likes someone with generalized hyperhidrosis? I can't even go out in the sun, in the spring I already start sweating like I'm in the desert in the summer, and sweat drops run down my face, which every girl finds gross.

Is that negative thought true? Not really, so we can change it. We can change "every girl" with "the vast majority of girls". How much is that? 98%? Probably. Maybe 99%, I don't know, but you can easily make up some statistics based on "facts". Then you might think that it's not true that someone is a "real loser", but again, there are some "facts" that can prove it.

I think that the whole concept of "loser" is just an opinion. Everyone in the world can call me a loser, and yet it has no truth. If I start to believe it, I suffer. I think the main issue here with having a thought like that is that you have an opinion of yourself. For me, I had to realize that my opinion of myself is just created by what I think other people think of me, if that makes sense. Opinions are just perspectives, never truth. And it's not like you have to question all thoughts, just the ones that make you feel like sh*t. I think I get what you are trying to say though :)

cosmosis

Great post and interesting thread :)

The idea of trying to fix anxiety by changing the reality of thoughts is always fascinating to me.

I try to think of a good analogy to better understand what's going on in my mind. Think about social anxiety like the pain of literally falling down. Say, for example, you are hiking and you keep falling down. The first couple times you might brush it off as nothing and keep going. But eventually, if you keep falling down, you are going to try to figure out what's 'wrong'. Let's say you start to think that your grips on your shoes are faulty and start to believe that they are the cause of all your problems. It's the same thing as social anxiety of someone who continues to 'fall' with anything social relation. Eventually they pick something like a nose or some part of their body to believe that is the cause of their pain. Just like someone who believes that their grip is faulty on a hike.

Now you might decide to look at the grips on your shoes and analyze to see if they really are at fault. After a while you convince yourself that the grips are okay and not at fault. You might feel more confident for a while until you continue to fall down. After that you would just find something else to blame in order to fix. You might decide that the entire shoe is faulty or your legs or your balance. The list is endless and can keep changing and coming back to previous ones.

The point is that many times you can fix particular thoughts like the grip being okay afterall or your nose not being that hideous, but it will just shift to something else eventually because you continue to fall down or feel social pain.

Those distorted thoughts are not the cause, but a result of your brain trying to fix pain. If we continue to focus on pain, we will always create distorted thoughts in an effort to fix it. Changing those particular distorted thoughts can help temporarily, but usually you will just find something else to blame.

iamthenra

I know of one other way to end my suffering... I had to do the same thing to my dog over a year ago... I buried him in my back yard. Just a lethal shot of anesthesia and it's all over, and no more suffering.