Confronting neighbor

Lavinialuna

Here is a social phob's nightmare: The neighbor's son has a rotting dear head from last fall. It was in their garage, but it was stinking up the garage so his mother put in the yard- next to our fence.
Now it is warm and the stench is so bad I am quite literally nauseated. I have been chased out of my yard and my garden by the horrible stench. We have LITERALLY had an explosion of blow flies and the crows have been circling. I want to confront her about it, but we have already talked to her about it and she said she would take care of it (that was last Saturday.) What do I do now? My husband is willing to go over there, but even him going over there and making things tense causes me anxiety. I wish I could just grow a pair.

Here is a social phob's nightmare: The neighbor's son has a rotting dear head from last fall. It was in their garage, but it was stinking up the garage so his mother put in the yard- next to our fence.
Now it is warm and the stench is so bad I am quite literally nauseated. I have been chased out of my yard and my garden by the horrible stench. We have LITERALLY had an explosion of blow flies and the crows have been circling. I want to confront her about it, but we have already talked to her about it and she said she would take care of it (that was last Saturday.) What do I do now? My husband is willing to go over there, but even him going over there and making things tense causes me anxiety. I wish I could just grow a pair.

You could remind her about it. Its real possible she simply forgot. Sounds like a real winner of a neighbor... if that boy wants to have a clean skull to keep he ain't going about it right anyway. He needs to skin the head and boil the head then bleach the skull then spray it with clear coat paint.

TreeBones

I was going to say something naughty about the growing a pair part, but I think I'll just keep that to myself :giggle:
I'm sorry your neighbors are being ****s but maybe it's possible they just forgot?
I think if tell your neighbors about it again it wouldn't seem like big confrontation or that you're being pessemistic, if that's what's making you anxious.

I was going to say something naughty about the growing a pair part, but I think I'll just keep that to myself :giggle:
I'm sorry your neighbors are being ****s but maybe it's possible they just forgot?
I think if tell your neighbors about it again it wouldn't seem like big confrontation or that you're being pessemistic, if that's what's making you anxious.

I have a pair you can use ;) .....

You were talking about a pair of gloves, right?

Lavinialuna

I have a pair you can use ;) .....

You were talking about a pair of gloves, right?

I could totally utilize them, lol! My husbands are in the same room, I suppose I could just use his, haha!

Yeah, I'll have to talk to them about it. He knocked on the door, but no one was home. I guess I'll have to wait.

Hubby could have helped that kid with that head had he known he needed help, but at this point I'm sure no one wants to get near it!

R3K

there's no way your neighbor just randomly forgot about a rotting deer head in her backyard. she's just lazy. send your husband over there to tell her that the flies and stench are making your backyard uninhabitable. who the hell wants disease-carrying insects and vultures procreating in their backyard.

Last edited:

Lilly789

You could remind her about it. Its real possible she simply forgot. Sounds like a real winner of a neighbor... if that boy wants to have a clean skull to keep he ain't going about it right anyway. He needs to skin the head and boil the head then bleach the skull then spray it with clear coat paint.

This.

You don't need to "confront" her about it - maybe just a regular casual conversation?.

Just wander over there and ask what he's up to with the deer head and let them know there are quicker / cleaner / less smelly ways to clean up the head that will maker it nicer to keep.

Maybe they just don't really know how its done, or are just being lazy. Perhaps you could mention that leaving it outside to rot will create little holes in the bone (from bacteria) that mess with structure, appearance and longevity of the skull - theres better ways to do it.

They could have also kept the brain to tan the hide (ancient way of doing it and produces excellent soft results, very easy)... and have missed out it appears.

I'm not much into killing animals, but some ancient ways of processing the meat bones and hide are pretty interesting..... not sure how old the kid is, but its a great learning opportunity, even for adults. I could go crazy with the experimental archaeology in it.... :D

Last edited:

LimitX

I would say remind her about it and why you would really want that taken care off within x number of days. If she is not cooperative then ask the Police to help.

theoutsider

I would try to strike up a conversation then say something casually friendly like, "OMG, that deer head is really stinking now. I can't even go in the backyard. Is he (her son) really planning to keep that thing?"

Kiwong

Call a health inspector, and get them to knock on the door. They won't know where the complaint came from.

Lavinialuna

I keep hoping they already took care of it. I haven't been outside yet to see if it still smells (and the windows to that side are closed. My husband will talk to them again. We are friendly with them, it seems out of character for them to neglect this this way. I think she probably honestly doesn't know what to do with it.
About my husband going over there.. it is almost enabling me as I don't ever have to confront people. Do you think it's wrong for me to rely on him so much?