complete isolation

sahxox

surrounded by people, all circumstances, feeling completely isolated... ranging from those who I don't know, my family, friends, one-on-one time with people I love. It's like not being able to connect with anyone, always feeling upset and scared, for absolutely no reason. I look in the mirror, and it's like looking at a different person... I like that person, but I never feel like it's me... like it's someone else.
Weird shit. Anyone relate or just me :/

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Just a shot in the dark: To truly "connect" with any other person, one needs to first "connect" with the deepest self?

Yes I agree I think, you have to feel in touch with yourself to a degree to be able to let other people in. Possibly, we do have connections we don't even realize because we aren't in touch with the part of us that is connected to them (does that make sense? It made sense in my head, I hope it makes sense here too).

Lately I have felt isolated from everyone, like I've closed myself off from everyone after first pushing them away. I don't feel like there's anything worth knowing about me I guess lately, and instead of letting people in and seeing the ugliness I'm feeling and probably emitting, I keep them at bay and put up barriers all around. It seems I isolate myself most when I like myself least/self esteem is lowest, when I don't want people to know me or even myself to really know me. I'm being a little overly dramatic here I feel, but it gets the point across I guess. The expression "if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all" can be modified to apply to me by changing it to "If you don't have anything of worth to show, don't show anything at all" or something along those lines.

laure15

Connecting is not the only problem, there's also the type of connection to consider. In the past I seem to connect to people in a way that made them fall for me. It's definitely the last thing I wanted! I just thought we could be friends but instead I get confessions. Now I'm really afraid of getting too close to people because I don't want them to get the wrong idea. This applies to both guys and girls.

If you scroll down to the very bottom of your page, under 'similar threads', 5 threads on isolation show up
This one i actually created --> "Causes of Social Isolation (SI)". I'd forgotten about that!. Looking at it briefly, can't say anything has changed (as most is the past). In the last 3 years since then, all that's changed concerning my isolation is i have a little bit more wisdom & insight about it, having been studying metaphysics/religion :reading:. Generally quite a bit more miserable/depressed/lonely now :thumbdown:, compared to then. But on the flip-side, my long-term (& acute in last 2/so years) pain & desperation :sad: may be finally propelling me into positive changes. I shall cross my fingers... :idontknow:

Quietguy11

I don't know exactly what you mean by not feeling like the person you see in the mirror is you. But I do feel disconnected from everyone by times (Internal isolation, not physical).
Medication has lifted my mood a bit and has enabled me to be more social around my family and friends, but I still have a long way to go before I'm actually content and happy with who I am as an individual. I find people are extremely hard to get to know, everyone seems to be in their own world. When I go to night classes and we're all standing in front of the classroom waiting for the teacher to arrive, hardly anybody talks, everyone just keeps to themselves. I find it really hard to approach people, and form any kind of bond or connection.