Colour of your clothes affecting mood.

Richey

Its interesting...

the other day i was wearing white sneakers where i work and i noticed it made me feel more sensitive then usual, perhaps because its such a light and standoutish colour. If i wear a black t-shirt and darker sneakers then i feel more comfortable, or a red t-shirt but if i wear yellow or white then i feel uncomfortable. which begs the question, how much of an affect does clothing in terms of style and colour have on us in daily life?

for instance recently i thought hard about what clothes i'd feel comfortable wearing and based it on a character in a show, so that is black nike sneakers that i think look great, a red t-shirt and black or blue jeans, a wrist band and a watch and i feel comfortable. if just put on anything in the wardrobe i'd probably feel out of place and incredibley awkward. there are moments where you forget what you are wearing because you arnt looking at yourself but i think it can dictate mood sometimes.

yeah i find that too. I only own clothes that are dull colours. I don't like to wear anthing that is too bright that would stand out and attract attention to me. If i did, i would feel very uncomfortable. I do feel better when i am wearing very dull/pastel coloured clothing.

LadyWench

The color of my clothes definitely has a lot to do with how I feel I'm presenting myself in public. If that makes sense. I'm not some goth or emo kid, but I tend to wear mostly black. I just don't feel as vulnerable when wearing clothes that generally blend in.

My therapist tells me to come into her office someday wearing a bright-colored shirt. She thinks that it will help my mood and possibly my confidence. She could be right, if I were to make a habit of wearing pastel-colored clothing every day. However, if I were to only do it one time, I'm sure I'd feel totally embarrassed and awkward. Moreso than usual. I'm a tard. I just feel comfortable and invisible in my black attire. Anyone wanna buy me some bright pink spandex to help change my mind?

TheNobody

I also wear mostly black and some white. I don't know why I like that so much, but I think it might be because it seems so 'neutral' and therefore doesn't attract much attention. It just fits in almost everywhere.

I have never given this much thought, but I do remember that whenever I bought some new clothes that I thought suited me well, I definitely felt better. It's kind of like giving yourself a present :)

The important thing to note here is that I thought it suited me well. So it was just a matter of opinion that made me feel better about myself.

I think it is not unusual to feel a little less good when our clothing doesn't feel comfortable. It is probably the SA that just makes us more sensitive to that kind of things.

Josh5339

I've been noticing this more and more often. Considering starting gradually more and more punk. Darker colors alongside black (just found out today dark purple), and possibly dying hair. Just seems like it fits my personality more and I'm more relaxed. Guess it because it allows that darker edge brooding guy I am to reside at the forefront instead of trying to wear a mask of being a conservative guy (as I've always did for my parents). May be a way out of this or at least road to fitting in with others more.

Jin

I'm always wearing black or some other dark colour. I think bright colours makes me look fat and i think people notice me more if i wear bright, happy clothes. But when i actually consider to wear a white t-shirt or something i'm always questioning myself to much .. and the next day i wear black again.

yeah i find that too. I only own clothes that are dull colours. I don't like to wear anthing that is too bright that would stand out and attract attention to me. If i did, i would feel very uncomfortable. I do feel better when i am wearing very dull/pastel coloured clothing.

I've been noticing this more and more often. Considering starting gradually more and more punk. Darker colors alongside black (just found out today dark purple), and possibly dying hair. Just seems like it fits my personality more and I'm more relaxed. Guess it because it allows that darker edge brooding guy I am to reside at the forefront instead of trying to wear a mask of being a conservative guy (as I've always did for my parents). May be a way out of this or at least road to fitting in with others more.

yeah... iam fund of wearing black...it makes me more comfortable... all my clothes in my cabin are black.... i hate other colors...even when iam at home...i wear black...attending parties... i wear black... my jet black auras get back on....

Hmm interesting..I actually feel much happier and outgoing when I wear white shirts! I also wanna get plaid pants because I think they look cool and they'll make me stand out more..wow I've changed so much in the past year! I used to wanna go unnoticed and now I wanna stand out more :eek:

lyricalliaisons

The colors of clothes I wear doesn't really affect how I feel, but the style, etc, does. If I'm wearing something I like, I feel much better & more comfortable than I do if I'm wearing something I don't like. I do feel uncomfortable in bright colors, though. But I don't like brightness in general, be it in clothing, atmosphere, lighting, or anything else.

Last edited:
I definitely wear a lot of black. Black skinny jeans, black sweaters, black boots, that's sort of my standard outfit these days lol. I always sort of dress up because I feel less anxious if I feel like I look good, but at the same time I get so paranoid about looking 'too nice', if that makes any sense, because I don't want people to notice me...conundrum.

Predacon

I try to stick to dark colours, but that's more of a preferance thing, I don't think they affect my mood in any way.

shy17

I got only black clothes. Never thought about the connection between my mood and the colour of my clothes. I just like black

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I think it's the other way around.

I wear black shirts and coats because I'm a pensive, artistic loner who takes everything waaaay too seriously and who is constantly under the strain that everyday life inflicts on me.

Besides, I can't be bothered to take the time to coordinate anything I wear, and black just goes with everything. :p